ADVERTISEMENT

Zone defense

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
Do we have a defensive coach or does Coach K handle that himself? Working with Boeheim and coaching against him you know K knows how to coach zone. At least it would stop the drive and kick 3 and would force teams to do like the NBA and pass the ball several times to get an open 3. First game vs Syracuse this year I think Duke struggled until they had PB flash to the free throw line for open jumper. Some of these college players are so used to shooting 3s that the mid range game has been neglected.

Do we have a defensive coach or does Coach K handle that himself? Working with Boeheim and coaching against him you know K knows how to coach zone. At least it would stop the drive and kick 3 and would force teams to do like the NBA and pass the ball several times to get an open 3. First game vs Syracuse this year I think Duke struggled until they had PB flash to the free throw line for open jumper. Some of these college players are so used to shooting 3s that the mid range game has been neglected.
The midrange game is around the same % to make as it is to back up a foot and get the 3 points in college. I can’t stand a jump shot from inside the arc. To me it’s ,and I know it’s only a 1 point difference, but the risk /reward isn’t worth the shot to me. Inside the free throw line I’m ok with if it’s not contested, but more times than not it’s contested and looks like a showcase for the NBA👎

Reactions: christophero
I just do not understand how Duke seems to be the only school that has gotten abused by the other teams on these switches. The other team constantly gets a matchup they like. It’s not like Herb Sendek is our coach. We have a legend, the winningest men’s coach of all time! Yet, the way we’ve been exposed lately has the “experts” and fans somewhat concerned we don’t get out of the first weekend.

With 3-4 projected nba 1st rounders. And to make it worse, this has become a seasonal thing. We hang banners in November/December, yet sweat about the possibility of playing a Davidson.

With our talent, we shouldn’t be too concerned the 1st weekend. The other 1 and 2 seeds aren’t being talked about like we are.

K doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone, but at the same time, what does this say about his coaching the last few seasons when the talk of Duke is “they can beat anyone, and lose to anyone?”

Reactions: pisgah101
I've been disappointed by the lack of any sort of full court pressure this year. Maybe it's the short bench and our guys are "young" and "tired". Remember the UL game when we came back from 23 points down with 8 minutes left to win? That full court press was devastatingly effective. This year I think I can count on one hand the number of possessions we have set up a full court press, and it's not high pressure. It's some passive walking around in the backcourt, maybe try a quick trap at half court kinda thing then fall back into the switching man to man.

As I said in another thread, I don't think we are going to see anything change this weekend. Coach K has been doing this a long time, and is set in his ways. It's hard to argue with his incredible longevity and overall success, but sometimes it is frustrating as a fan to watch.

Reactions: Mac9192
I just do not understand how Duke seems to be the only school that has gotten abused by the other teams on these switches. The other team constantly gets a matchup they like. It’s not like Herb Sendek is our coach. We have a legend, the winningest men’s coach of all time! Yet, the way we’ve been exposed lately has the “experts” and fans somewhat concerned we don’t get out of the first weekend.

With 3-4 projected nba 1st rounders. And to make it worse, this has become a seasonal thing. We hang banners in November/December, yet sweat about the possibility of playing a Davidson.

With our talent, we shouldn’t be too concerned the 1st weekend. The other 1 and 2 seeds aren’t being talked about like we are.

K doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone, but at the same time, what does this say about his coaching the last few seasons when the talk of Duke is “they can beat anyone, and lose to anyone?”

hey easy on herb!

I've been disappointed by the lack of any sort of full court pressure this year. Maybe it's the short bench and our guys are "young" and "tired". Remember the UL game when we came back from 23 points down with 8 minutes left to win? That full court press was devastatingly effective. This year I think I can count on one hand the number of possessions we have set up a full court press, and it's not high pressure. It's some passive walking around in the backcourt, maybe try a quick trap at half court kinda thing then fall back into the switching man to man.

As I said in another thread, I don't think we are going to see anything change this weekend. Coach K has been doing this a long time, and is set in his ways. It's hard to argue with his incredible longevity and overall success, but sometimes it is frustrating as a fan to watch.
Alan my thoughts are reflected VERY MUCH in your analysis. We've been PAINFULLY SLOW to make defensive adjustments.

Outside of OCCASIONAL TOKEN ZONE PRESSES, A VERY RARE SWITCH TO "ORANGE" ( THE ADAPTATION TO THE BOEHEIM ZONE), K STUBBORNLY sticks to man to man principles.

This team is long and athletic- they could cause quite a bit of confusion on the defensive end. For years I've pleaded for K to go to his wonderful deceased friend's Valvano's junk defenses (1-3 chaser, box and one, etc), but he sticks to man principles.

Just a thought Alan, based on personal observation. K's assts seem very reticent to communicate to our head coach. As I have said, I love K to pieces, but change is in order and change is GOOD! OFC

Reactions: AlanInNJ
It is just a lot of pressure on a young team. I hope our kids can handle it. The pressure is just going to increase. We looked tight in the ACC tournament.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Alan my thoughts are reflected VERY MUCH in your analysis. We've been PAINFULLY SLOW to make defensive adjustments.

Outside of OCCASIONAL TOKEN ZONE PRESSES, A VERY RARE SWITCH TO "ORANGE" ( THE ADAPTATION TO THE BOEHEIM ZONE), K STUBBORNLY sticks to man to man principles.

This team is long and athletic- they could cause quite a bit of confusion on the defensive end. For years I've pleaded for K to go to his wonderful deceased friend's Valvano's junk defenses (1-3 chaser, box and one, etc), but he sticks to man principles.

Just a thought Alan, based on personal observation. K's assts seem very reticent to communicate to our head coach. As I have said, I love K to pieces, but change is in order and change is GOOD! OFC
Ten years ago Leigh beat Duke.I have always thought a box and 1 should have been played on McCollum. Thornton, Curry and Cook could have stuck with him the whole game and Duke has an easy W.

I am on the same boat as the majority of you. I would like to see Duke throw some zone defenses in the ncaa tournament. Duke has the athletes to be a solid defensive team. Duke played well in February. Duke has not played well since the regular season finale game. Also, Baker/Bates-Jones should be getting some minutes to keep the team fresh. I don’t know why the coaching staff went away from extending the rotation.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the 2015 National Champion Team played some zone defenses throughout the tournament run correct?

Here is to hoping The Blue Devils make a deep run in the tournament. Go Duke Everyone.

I am on the same boat as the majority of you. I would like to see Duke throw some zone defenses in the ncaa tournament. Duke has the athletes to be a solid defensive team. Duke played well in February. Duke has not played well since the regular season finale game. Also, Baker/Bates-Jones should be getting some minutes to keep the team fresh. I don’t know why the coaching staff went away from extending the rotation.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the 2015 National Champion Team played some zone defenses throughout the tournament run correct?

Here is to hoping The Blue Devils make a deep run in the tournament. Go Duke Everyone.
I don't remember the team playing zone during the tournament. I might be wrong. I thought we played more of a pack line style of man. We need to do something slightly different. Duke is too predictable right now.

When we beat Gonzaga earlier in the season, at the end of the game, K surprised Few and hit them with a full court press. It threw the Zags out of rhythm. A brilliant move.

We can make a run. The last 2 weeks, as well as the last few years, has put a lot of us on edge

Reactions: KDSTONE
Ten years ago Leigh beat Duke.I have always thought a box and 1 should have been played on McCollum. Thornton, Curry and Cook could have stuck with him the whole game and Duke has an easy W.
McCollum didn't have a great game: 9-24 from field, 2-7 on 3s, 10-16 on FTs and 4 turnovers.

Duke's shooting was awful: Rivers 5-14, Curry 1-9, Cook 1-5 and Dawkins 2-9

Reactions: christophero
That team that lost to Lehigh was very dysfunctional. Curry and Rivers might have been great friends (and now inlaws) off the court but they didn't play well together.

Yet, the way we’ve been exposed lately has the “experts” and fans somewhat concerned we don’t get out of the first weekend.

Let em talk. Since 2015, we have the same number of first weekend exits as we do national championships. Basically every program on the planet would be happy with that. In both 2019 and 2018 we were a single basket away from making the final four.

At the end of the first weekend let's see how many 1s and 2s are left and if Duke is among them. I think the answers will be "<8" and "shit yeah they are."

Last edited:
I don't remember the team playing zone during the tournament. I might be wrong. I thought we played more of a pack line style of man. We need to do something slightly different. Duke is too predictable right now.

When we beat Gonzaga earlier in the season, at the end of the game, K surprised Few and hit them with a full court press. It threw the Zags out of rhythm. A brilliant move.
Agree Mac with all of your points. Above all else, Duke’s effort needs to be there throughout the whole game. The efforts @ Florida State and against Virginia Tech on Saturday were the most pitiful efforts put on by Duke this season. It drives me nuts seeing the opposing team getting multiple offensive rebounds, loose balls, and being the benefactors of And 1 plays.

What do most HS or AAU teams play on defense? Zone? Man to man?....given these kids play more there and thats where their defensive principles come from...maybe mirroring what they know the best is the answer for a team that is basically all in for just one year.

If you have the best talent, man defense is the correct choice. That is why very few quality teams play zone as their go-to defense. Syracuse is the only one that comes to mind. We played Gonzaga at the very beginning of the year at a time when they were still working out the kinks in their system. By now they have seen plenty of zone and pressure. I just do not think we are quick enough to apply full court pressure, especially against a team like Gonzaga that has quality guards. We very unsuccessfully tried to pressure Va Tech. Using full court pressure to speed up the other team is one thing, but it exposes Duke to runout lay-ups and open 3's . I have switched. Against a really good team, I now think zone is the way to go given Duke's guard issues, unless we get blistered from outside. OFC

Let em talk. Since 2015, we have the same number of first weekend exits as we do national championships. Basically every program on the planet would be happy with that. In both 2019 and 2018 we were a single basket away from making the final four.

At the end of the first weekend let's see how many 1s and 2s are left and if Duke is among them. I think the answers will be "<8" and "shit yeah they are."
I would just like to say, F Baylor, F Auburn, for sure F Kentucky... and GO DUKE!

If you have the best talent, man defense is the correct choice. That is why very few quality teams play zone as their go-to defense. Syracuse is the only one that comes to mind. We played Gonzaga at the very beginning of the year at a time when they were still working out the kinks in their system. By now they have seen plenty of zone and pressure. I just do not think we are quick enough to apply full court pressure, especially against a team like Gonzaga that has quality guards. We very unsuccessfully tried to pressure Va Tech. Using full court pressure to speed up the other team is one thing, but it exposes Duke to runout lay-ups and open 3's . I have switched. Against a really good team, I now think zone is the way to go given Duke's guard issues, unless we get blistered from outside. OFC
My last post shows what I know and why I ain't a coach. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT