ADVERTISEMENT

Zion to Duke the biggest surprised recruit ever?

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
I can't think of any other recruit that we got after most experts didn't give us a chance.

Can anyone think of any surprise recruits we've landed in Duke basketball history greater than Zion?

Last edited:
I'd go as far as to say that he may be the biggest surprise recruit for any school ever. No one realistically thought Duke was even a finalist.

Reactions: Quavarius
Barnes was s huge surprise for me! I actually watched that commitment. He was the savior in a tough time. Zion is coming to us while we have extreme recruiting momentum. I'm personally more surprised by Barnes. Probably, just based off of my increase investment to recruiting, back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
Not sure Barnes counts... I think Q said in the OP it is about guys we've landed?

Barnes was a shock, though.

With Barnes, though, there were some strong whispers and signs that the momentum had shifted to UNC. I remember going into that press conference with guarded optimism and being almost sick when he finally pulled those clowns up on Skype.

Reactions: timo0402
This was hands down the biggest shocker yet, anywhere. I can't believe a recruit so huge stayed this quiet on his final destination. I didn't even watch the announcement because I KNEW we weren't getting him dukehokie sent me a text that simply said " I guess Nolan didn't lie to us at the Skillet." I jumped up out of my chair so fast I scared the wife, my daughter and the cat took of like a shot. 3 seconds later my phone and daughters phone blew up for a solid hour, LOL

This was hands down the biggest shocker yet, anywhere. I can't believe a recruit so huge stayed this quiet on his final destination. I didn't even watch the announcement because I KNEW we weren't getting him dukehokie sent me a text that simply said " I guess Nolan didn't lie to us at the Skillet." I jumped up out of my chair so fast I scared the wife, my daughter and the cat took of like a shot. 3 seconds later my phone and daughters phone blew up for a solid hour, LOL

Now that he is a Dukie... what, you saw Nolan and he said that it seemed we'd get Zion?

Love Nolan, btw. His relationships with so many guys is the driving factor, and that Titanic sketch cemented it. Any young man who is willing to do tht in the macho world of sports just to get a laugh gets BIG credit from me.

I was watching from my phone in a basketball gym, couldn't hear anything so all we had was video, I was in Cincinnati and surrounded by all UK fans. For a good 2 minutes, without any sound, all we could see is a Blue hat, knew it was either Duke or UK.
Finally the camera zoomed and everyone could tell it was a Duke hat, I went nuts, all the UK fans were so angry at me, I left the gym and went straight to celebrate.

Now that he is a Dukie... what, you saw Nolan and he said that it seemed we'd get Zion?

Love Nolan, btw. His relationships with so many guys is the driving factor, and that Titanic sketch cemented it. Any young man who is willing to do tht in the macho world of sports just to get a laugh gets BIG credit from me.

Yes Dude1, My buddy Mike B and Mark Cain and I ran into Nolan at the skillet during CTC. I saw Nolan , Nate and Capel (I posted pics here) at the table with Zion. Nolan walked out for a moment and I approached him and said Hey Nolan, how's it going?" He settled right in and talked with us for little while, super cool fella. I said what do you think about Zion? He said "Honestly man , we are around 90% now, he's not going to Kentucky. All they have to sell him is a quick route to the league and he can get that here man.It's looking really good." I thought he was just being optimistic. Now i know, The REST of the Story, heheh

Reactions: Showenuff
Just out of curiosity, for those that are close to the program, when did Williamson let the staff know? Was it the day before, or was it truly a surprise to them?

Just out of curiosity, for those that are close to the program, when did Williamson let the staff know? Was it the day before, or was it truly a surprise to them?
I don't think Zion made up his mind until the morning of the announcement, so my guess is he called Duke after his breakfast of 48 eggs, 7 lbs. bacon and 2 gallons of OJ. Don't let this small detail distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table.

I don't think Zion made up his mind until the morning of the announcement, so my guess is he called Duke after his breakfast of 48 eggs, 7 lbs. bacon and 2 gallons of OJ. Don't let this small detail distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table.
That's weird Denver. I heard Zion was roughed up out back of The Skillet when Sky was there. Word on the street is Sky put him in a full nelson chicken wing leg lock and made him commit verbally to him, but not announce publicly until the 20th. Poor kid never had a chance.

That's weird Denver. I heard Zion was roughed up out back of The Skillet when Sky was there. Word on the street is Sky put him in a full nelson chicken wing leg lock and made him commit verbally to him, but not announce publicly until the 20th. Poor kid never had a chance.
Dang, Sky must be one bad OF. We could’ve used that kind of tactic on Roy when they were asking all those daggum questions about paper classes and tutors.

Reactions: skysdad

How does a normal human being stop after just seven pounds of bacon?

Reactions: dbav
Yes Dude1, My buddy Mike B and Mark Cain and I ran into Nolan at the skillet during CTC. I saw Nolan , Nate and Capel (I posted pics here) at the table with Zion. Nolan walked out for a moment and I approached him and said Hey Nolan, how's it going?" He settled right in and talked with us for little while, super cool fella. I said what do you think about Zion? He said "Honestly man , we are around 90% now, he's not going to Kentucky. All they have to sell him is a quick route to the league and he can get that here man.It's looking really good." I thought he was just being optimistic. Now i know, The REST of the Story, heheh

When I made the Royal Flush comment I took that meeting you had with Nolan to heart along with not hearing crap around here about him leaning toward Clemson or any school for that matter. I did my due dilligence too picking the minds of the IPTAY folk I knew. One of my best friends kid plays on the AAU circuit here in this area and is around Zion's people sometimes and people who know the family well and he couldn't tell me shit, didn't have a clue.They kept it on LOCK!I was kind of throwing shit against the wall but I honestly felt like we had a legit shot. #ROYALFLUSH

Didn't mention the AAU stuff before because I am NOT "in the know" and didn't want to put out anything that some people do that looks like complete horse shit. The last thing I want to come off as is a pretentious prick like that used douche bag Gary at THR. Just had my fingers crossed during the announcement.

There’s still a chance he signs at Kentucky! He might have just grabbed the wrong hat! Maybe he just misspelled Kentucky? All’s I know is that he’s ours!

Reactions: dbav
I’ll be honest. My family members that are Iron Dukes were stunned. And some of them are fairly connected to all of this. We’ve had a great time laughing at the fact that nothing is certain with regards to recruiting.

Possibly?

Bourbon is the greatest food ever made. This is as incontestable as Cal’s innocence in recruiting*. But, never fret, my friends. You can infuse bourbon with bacon.

As a side note, I am still allowed to post at THR. Granted, no one posts there. But still, a victory if a hollow one.

As my posts are obviously limited, let me also say that you all stole our color! That’s right! You stole that shit as sure as Laettner stole our gloried 1992 season!

* He gets a mulligan for his time before Kentucky.

Dang, Sky must be one bad OF. We could’ve used that kind of tactic on Roy when they were asking all those daggum questions about paper classes and tutors.

He whispered in my ear. " I'm coming to Duke." Is that a silent verbal even if I was the only person who heard it. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT