ADVERTISEMENT

What I would like to see in a high school PG high light video...

LTDukeFan

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 20, 2009
Austin, TX
I find myself watching a lot of youtube of the recruits and I have always enjoyed watching PGs. As the de facto leaders on the floor they not only sets the game plan, but the tone.

So here is what I would like to see in a high light....if someone finds a good example please post.

pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, drive, pass, shoot, drive, pass, pass, steal, steal, pass.

Here is what I seem to see usually...

drive, shoot, slam, shoot, drive, shoot, shoot, drive, slam, slam, pass...

I guess Tyus was the last one that I saw that really got me excited about a PG coming to Duke -- a true, pass-first PG.

Just a thought to start a thread....

Reactions: skysdad
I guess because it is a highlight video, its rarely going to show good passes unless they are flashy passes. Its far easier for the people who make highlight videos to simply showcase more flashy skills like dunking, shooting, and acrobatic layups. It's the same reason they dont really show players who play strong defense in highlight videos unless its a break away steal or a block.

I guess because it is a highlight video, its rarely going to show good passes unless they are flashy passes. Its far easier for the people who make highlight videos to simply showcase more flashy skills like dunking, shooting, and acrobatic layups. It's the same reason they dont really show players who play strong defense in highlight videos unless its a break away steal or a block.

I understand the point, not quite buying it, A point guard plays 30 games in a season (+/-). If he is a good guard let's say he averages 7 assists per game. That is not including AAU games or tournaments. I would have to say that there are probably 300+ assists to choose.

I find myself watching a lot of youtube of the recruits and I have always enjoyed watching PGs. As the de facto leaders on the floor they not only sets the game plan, but the tone.

So here is what I would like to see in a high light....if someone finds a good example please post.

pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, drive, pass, shoot, drive, pass, pass, steal, steal, pass.

Here is what I seem to see usually...

drive, shoot, slam, shoot, drive, shoot, shoot, drive, slam, slam, pass...

I guess Tyus was the last one that I saw that really got me excited about a PG coming to Duke -- a true, pass-first PG.

Just a thought to start a thread....

Have you watched the Derryck Thornton videos? He makes a lot of awesome passes in the videos I watched--makes me think that he is a first and foremost a creator for others (rather than focused on his own scoring).

This is a great thread and it gives me the opportunity to do something I love to do and be a little sarcastic. I like dunk video's. Nothing but dunk. Remember how excited we got on Semi's highlight vid. Dunk ,dunk, dunk. Power dunks. Rim ripping dunks. Windmill dunks. It's all about the dunk, the dunk. Don't need no jump shot, thread the needle pass, 85 per cent free throw shooting, in the face shut down defense. Its all about that dunk, the dunk. Who cares about defensive high lights or a recruit that hits 40 straight free throws. Who cares about a recruit that can beat a double or triple team. Who cares about a recruit that just eats up t offensive and defensive boards. Who cares about a recruit that can handle the ball , dish it off and also fill up the basket. Who cares if he can't make a layup as long as he can wham bam that two footer and bring the fans to their feet, get pumped up thumping his chest while the man he is supposed to be guarding is dunking the ball on a fast break at the other end of the court. I care. Just how much better would most players be if they once again took the dunk out of the game. I tell that you that these superb athletes would develop a 5 or 6 foot jumper, a mid range jumper and be a lot more complete player.I admit I love the dunk but I would much rather see a player drive to the basket and kick it out for a 3. DUNK YOU VERY MUCH. OFC

The concept behind this thread is right...but as noted...highlight videos are typically going to showcase what the culture of basketball has become. Can you posterize someone, can you make poorly chosen contested 3s, can you block someone and then make fun of them.

More importantly, IMO, is what the scouts say about a player.

Highlight videos give you an idea of a players athletic ability...in the air...quickness...etc. It also can show you the type of personality/maturity a kid might have.

That last point is one reason I haven't been as excited about Ingram as i have been about all the other top level recruits Duke has brought in over the years.

The concept behind this thread is right...but as noted...highlight videos are typically going to showcase what the culture of basketball has become. Can you posterize someone, can you make poorly chosen contested 3s, can you block someone and then make fun of them.

More importantly, IMO, is what the scouts say about a player.

Highlight videos give you an idea of a players athletic ability...in the air...quickness...etc. It also can show you the type of personality/maturity a kid might have.

That last point is one reason I haven't been as excited about Ingram as i have been about all the other top level recruits Duke has brought in over the years.
Ingram does need to drop the staredown act, but it's not like Justise didn't have similar moments.

Basketball has been dunk and block-centric since the late 80s. Nothing new there.

This is a great thread and it gives me the opportunity to do something I love to do and be a little sarcastic. I like dunk video's. Nothing but dunk. Remember how excited we got on Semi's highlight vid. Dunk ,dunk, dunk. Power dunks. Rim ripping dunks. Windmill dunks. It's all about the dunk, the dunk. Don't need no jump shot, thread the needle pass, 85 per cent free throw shooting, in the face shut down defense. Its all about that dunk, the dunk. Who cares about defensive high lights or a recruit that hits 40 straight free throws. Who cares about a recruit that can beat a double or triple team. Who cares about a recruit that just eats up t offensive and defensive boards. Who cares about a recruit that can handle the ball , dish it off and also fill up the basket. Who cares if he can't make a layup as long as he can wham bam that two footer and bring the fans to their feet, get pumped up thumping his chest while the man he is supposed to be guarding is dunking the ball on a fast break at the other end of the court. I care. Just how much better would most players be if they once again took the dunk out of the game. I tell that you that these superb athletes would develop a 5 or 6 foot jumper, a mid range jumper and be a lot more complete player.I admit I love the dunk but I would much rather see a player drive to the basket and kick it out for a 3. DUNK YOU VERY MUCH. OFC

Yep. Dunks are rather high percentage, but seeing a bunch on highlights of throwing the ball down court and seeing a lone kid dunk is...well...rather boring.

Much rather see a PG have 10 assists and 8-10 points then seeing a PG with 4 assists and 20 points.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT