ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to duke Grandison! Updated- he committed

Him and Young could have Theo type impacts. Grandison maybe more as he could be a starter. I esp. like that he is a good defender and the "ultimate glue guy." (according to the video)

Last edited:
Love the pickup. Def gonna need some more experience and this allows proctor a little room to grow. Feeling a bit better but I would still have loved to have keels

Him and Young could have Theo type impacts. Grandison maybe more as he could be a starter. I esp. like that he is a good defender and the "ultimate glue guy." (according to the video)
Don’t want Theo ( although he was a great addition) I want to see them bring their own flare . Get in the young guys show them how hard it is to compete .

It just occurred to me that Grandison is the exact type of player I want more of; senior, terrific player, perhaps not quite athletic enough for the NBA. Guys like that often transfer, so it's nice to be on the good side of that for once. You need role players with experience. We got our guy. Other than Mosley and Mayer (and maybe Green) probably the best wing out there.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that Grandison is the exact type of player I want more of; senior, terrific player, perhaps not quite athletic enough for the NBA. Guys like that often transfer, so it's nice to be on the good side of that for once. You need role players with experience. We got our guy. Other than Mosley and Mayer (and maybe Green) probably the best wing out there.
I think he's a step below those you just mentioned, but he's exactly what we needed for next year. He's 24 years old, shoots the three extremely well and plays defense. I said this over on RR, he's not going to start, but he should get a solid 15 minutes of burn each night. For the first time in a long time- I think we go 8, maybe 9 deep this year.

I think we are probably preseason 6 or 7.

Maybe. I'm in the camp that Grandison will start the first semester. I'm not as high on Proctor as some. He's good, don't get me wrong, and will be at Duke one or two years at most. (okay one, it's Duke ha) And he will surely get minutes. But he was ranked in the late teens and moved up. I know he's 18, and I know he played some international ball. But some of those Australian players he was playing against looked, not that good. He may end up starting later in the year. Maybe I'm dead wrong on this. Proctor is also slight of frame. Grandison has nearly 40 pounds on him. I think he will be ahead of Proctor, but Proctor may eventually start like Duhon did.

Last edited:
Maybe. I'm in the camp that Grandison will start the first semester. I'm not as high on Proctor as some. He's good, don't get me wrong, and will be at Duke one or two years at most. (okay one, it's Duke ha) And he will surely get minutes. But he was ranked in the late teens and moved up. I know he's 18, and I know he played some international ball. But some of those Australian players he was playing against looked, not that good. He may end up starting later in the year. Maybe I'm dead wrong on this. Proctor is also slight of frame. Grandison has nearly 40 pounds on him. I think he will be ahead of Proctor, but Proctor may eventually start like Duhon did.
The thing with Proctor is he’s a combo . Given the development of Blake’s and Schutt he will see the bulk of his minutes at pg /sg. Which comes a big dilemma in some areas IMO in which I’ll let them unfold . Just remember, Proctor didn’t reclass to come off the bench or see limited minutes . Adding Grandison is a plus for experience but so was Catching and Young .
I hope Blakes and Schutts learn from Grandison and see some minutes .

Remember Roach is working with a reconstructed knee so someone will need to take 10 min a game at point. Blakes or Proctor?
Proctor . I would like to see Blake’s improvement from this past season to next season . His long arms just screams defensive presents for other guards but you could tell last season he was still trying to put it together

With Proctor and Grandison we have so many options. Yes there are a lot of mouths to feed but that is a good problem.
And it’s simply an issue as well. Let’s not forget in 2023 Duke also has a pg and combo guard coming with possibly Roach, Blake’s and Schutt possibly returning . It’s a good problem to have but also Jon’s to maintain. Should Proctor return well then that’s to many mouths to feed not enough minutes to go around . Sorry not being a Debbie downer just looking at Dukes track record with maintaining players who aren’t OAD. Really am looking forward to next season.

Reactions: christophero
But Roach and Proctor will prob. go pro and Blakes may move on if he doesn't play. We prob. get one of those 3 back. No one's dream is to be at Duke more than one year lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Are you and Roach bffs? You seem pretty sure of this. If Roach has a big year he will be on mock 2nd round drafts.
No one ever pays attention to me but let’s look at it. In the 2023 mock nba drafts, there are 30 picks first round out of the 30 there are 19 pg,sg and combos. This is with out watching anyone in one college game not to mention who returns from 2022.
Roach isn’t on any of them. I like Roach but at this point he needs to show a more consistent shot and the ability to guard in the league . Not to mention his ability to lead a team. We know he can score off the ball . That’s not an issue but at 6’1” he won’t play combo guard in the league . If he’s makes it into the second round of mock drafts it will be as a senior . He’s not a starting pg in the league he’s a serviceable back up however that’s determined ONLY if he shows the ability to stay in front of his man on defense and can score while being the lead guard on the team .
With the team being as young as it is , he can answer two of those questions however, he will be called on to remain on the floor and score and defend while keeping a young squad focused. We didn’t see glimpses of how good Roach could be until after he got his starting spot back but he still wasn’t consistent.

I listen to you even though we seem to have differing opinions on things. We just like to give each other a hard time. :) I have honestly given up trying to make sense of our guy's draft decisions. I just think our guys are so desperate to get to the NBA they will believe anything they hear. Keels went from "I'm looking for a first round guarantee" to "if I like what I hear I'll go" to "okay I'm going regardless." He had a very poor combine that likely pushed him to the mid to late second round, or even undrafted, but still stayed in. (My guess he goes mid second round, but he's rolling the dice) Every article I read said he should come back. So I think Roach can play his way onto some second round drafts and that should be enough for him to leave. Maybe Roach is different. I think Proctor and Flip and Mitchell and Lively and Whitehead go pro as well. I'm not being bitter here; it's just reality at Duke. At least we are improving at getting transfers so we can get our experience that way.

Last edited:
I think people don’t read enough on Keels. He more”risk and reward “ as a late first early second round pick. Also believe he has a guarantee from a team. No kid is on the fence and hops off as bad as he was until he hears something absolute.
to me this team has a chance to be good on defense . I know we say this every year but as deep as they can go ( I’m thinking atleast nine at times.) Whitehead, Catchings, Lively, Mitchell and Young have shown committed on that end. If Roach improves and Blake’s and Grandison can defend then Duke will be right there. All I need from Schutt is to come in and let it fly .

Chris, Shey I enjoy reading and respect both your takes. I learn a lot from both of you as well as bleed, ged and all of you who post here. ged just pulls for the wrong team, but is very knowledgeable and is swell guy.

OK, as far as your points yes Shey I agree Jeremy needs more consistency. I would really like to see him LOCK DOWN some opposing guards. I think "D" should be a big focus for him.

Chris, amen. I don't know what it is exactly, but the general mentality among highly touted Duke freshmen seems "OAD OR BUST." Maybe it's because of all the hype they receive generally as the "best freshmen class." Duke I think is generally viewed as the instant pipeline to the pros , thus an annual mass exodus! As you duly noted Chris, it's a plus the way we bring in talented transfers.Scheyer and Jai Lucas make an incredible recruiting tandem!!!

OFC

Sorry for the mini rant. I do wonder if our model is sustainable; as our massive turnover almost requires we bring in a top 3 type recruiting class every year to be competitive. And it does seem to be escalating. That is a lot of pressure on the coaching staff. Hopefully if Jon plays more guys that will help the Colemans and Brakefields stick around. But nearly building an entire new team every year is not really something I look forward to.

This is why , I believe Jon has to show he’s not scared to extend his bench. Please do it at the beginning of the season not the last three minutes when Duke is playing a small team beating up on them by 30.

Who’s to say he wasn’t already thinking of it ? I think Jon’s first recruit was getting Roach to return .
I agree. While Roach wasn’t quite the second coming of Tre Jones - at least for much of the year - the value of having your point guard come back was enormous in both instances.

An experienced sg . The other three positions and bench are still in question. Been reading a lot of people have concerns with lively’s motor. I’d like to see the bench utilized more . But I have no doubt Duke is a top ten team .
Good breakdown Shey.As far as Lively's motor, I think Amile working w/bigs will keep him in line.

Amile coached the team which won the Coach K Fantasy Camp last week. He is a fireball, as you know if you saw any footage of him coaching!!! OFC

Getting Grandison was a huge get. Nonetheless, our freshmen-laden team is going to be the proverbial box of chocolates. As someone said months ago, there are going to be awesome displays of talent one night, and head scratching displays of floundering another night. The goal will be to have the latter eliminated by March.

I am more concerned about foul trouble than motors. Mark was really good at avoiding fouls, as was Banchero. Although we do have Young and Mitchell.
That’s the one thing I’m not worried about . Sure if the freshman get into foul trouble that’s why you brought in Catchings, Young, Blake’s , Flip, Schutt and Proctor. You have players to give them a break but will you trust them to play enough to be ready when called on.

if Amile can’t teach you to be a fierce competitor don’t know who can . Read nothing but good things about Amile .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT