ADVERTISEMENT

Unofficial game day thread- Duke vs UNCP

Apparently, I’m in the minority of thinking here. I see nothing to get too high about, nor do I have any concerns at this moment.
Even though it was a scrimmage against a Dll school, I’m sure nerves were at play.

It’s November 2nd, and surely Jon will address the areas that the team wasn’t sharp in.

Reactions: dukecorp
Apparently, I’m in the minority of thinking here. I see nothing to get too high about, nor do I have any concerns at this moment.
Even though it was a scrimmage against a Dll school, I’m sure nerves were at play.

It’s November 2nd, and surely Jon will address the areas that the team wasn’t sharp in.
I think its an ability and talent issue? I am not sure that Young and Flip have the talent to be what we need in terms of interior defense and rebounding. And its not like we have big guards out there to offset that. I really think its going to come down to Reeves and Stewart having next to be next to Flip, so hopefully they develop.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Just waaaaaaay too many good guards we have....schutt and blakes would be starting back court mates on most D1 teams.....kinda feel for them...such hard working dedicated young athletes that are sacrificing to be a part of this program.....maybe things will work out for them here...i certainly hope so.....

Reactions: Duke Blu
Schutt will find minutes as long as he hits shots when called upon .

Foster just puts me in the mind set of this is his only year in college . We will get a better feel for him and McCain this month as the competition they will see are good teams .

Flip imo , still has that softness about him around the rim . Him and Young on the floor together do not complement each other well. He needs Mitchell or Stewart beside him to keep defenses from collapsing on him .

Going to be an interesting month .
It will be "an interesting month." Scheyer is like a lab professor tinkering, and chemistry (@Mac9192) is the key. Three guards or not, or most likely interchangeably of BOTH. OFC

I find Flip to be an interesting player. His 3 point shot appears to be smoother this year and I'm hoping he will be a 35% shooter from there.

But his inside game still is not varied or capable of getting him open shots. He obviously has eliminated the spin move in traffic but he doesn't have a quick move to get him open underneath. That quick Moses Malone or Olajuwan spin without dribbling isn't there (OK I'm an old guy). He'll get that shot stuff down his throat against the length in the NBA.

He needs to watch Banchero clips. Banchero's game 15 feet and in was simple yet effective.

Was banging the drum all off-season about wanting to bring in a rim-protecting big man. I love what I see out of this team, but we aren’t gonna block many shots this season, we are a true 5 short, could Reeves be that guy? I hope so.

Stewart compliments Flip nicely, Young does not. I do like running some offense through Young though when Flip is out of the game.

Deepest/most talented Duke backcourt since????2011?? Kyrie, Nolan, Dawkins, Curry.

I only watched the second half when we were already up 40+ points. I was a little disappointed that it seemed like 20 minutes of garbage time instead of working on offense and team defense. I would have liked to see coach real them in a little bit in that situation, and I think he touched on it a little bit in the presser. But overall, geeze we have a lot of offensive weapons. I am looking forward to see our defense against some top talent to see where we are. Man it's good to have Duke basketball to watch!!

Flip is an excellent scorer and rebounder
But rim protection just isn't his game. Just having Reeves to come in for a few minutes a half would be big. This team is good no doubt. We will know more when we play Arizona and MSU. Will be interested to see Stewart against them.
They played us physical. Teams are going to do that this year

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan and sheyduke
Reeves and Stewart are those rim protectors . Flip can do it some but you need guys like Mitchel , Reeves, Stewart, Powers and Young to apply effort in that area as I’m sure the staff will be getting after them hard . This may be the best way for Reeves, Stewart and Powers to see more time on the court .

It’s also where Blakes and Schutt see minutes by applying on ball pressure .

But this was an exhibition game and I’m sure the staff will hit on all this leading into Monday’s game .

Reactions: jamsession3
Reeves and Stewart are those rim protectors . Flip can do it some but you need guys like Mitchel , Reeves, Stewart, Powers and Young to apply effort in that area as I’m sure the staff will be getting after them hard . This may be the best way for Reeves, Stewart and Powers to see more time on the court .

It’s also where Blakes and Schutt see minutes by applying on ball pressure .

But this was an exhibition game and I’m sure the staff will hit on all this leading into Monday’s game .
You will really know what this team looks like with Reeves.

Reactions: sheyduke
Was banging the drum all off-season about wanting to bring in a rim-protecting big man. I love what I see out of this team, but we aren’t gonna block many shots this season, we are a true 5 short, could Reeves be that guy? I hope so.

Stewart compliments Flip nicely, Young does not. I do like running some offense through Young though when Flip is out of the game.

Deepest/most talented Duke backcourt since????2011?? Kyrie, Nolan, Dawkins, Curry.

We've had a lot of big teams and elite-level shot blocking in recent years and it's usually been our guard play/inability to hit perimeter shots that have done us in. Will interior defense be a concern? probably. Would it be nice to have a rim protector? yes. But I'm not sure it will ultimately mean the difference between Sweet 16/Elite 8 and Final Four/National Championship.

We will have elite, experienced guard play on both ends of the floor which is huge in college basketball and can make up for lack of size/strength on the interior.

I only watched the second half when we were already up 40+ points. I was a little disappointed that it seemed like 20 minutes of garbage time instead of working on offense and team defense. I would have liked to see coach real them in a little bit in that situation, and I think he touched on it a little bit in the presser. But overall, geeze we have a lot of offensive weapons. I am looking forward to see our defense against some top talent to see where we are. Man it's good to have Duke basketball to watch!!

Yes, the intensity dropped noticeably in the late first half and through the second. Built a massive lead and then let up against a top 10 DII team.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Yes, the intensity dropped noticeably in the late first half and through the second. Built a massive lead and then let up against a top 10 DII team.
Yup, that's the natural tendency with a huge lead, and I am not saying we should have beat them by 70. My only comment is that I would have liked to have seen Jon reign them in a bit and get more reps in.

I won't say anything negative about anyone, but I would just say Reeves would definitely be number two on my depth chart at the 5, and possibly playing some good minutes with Flip too.

But there is something nobody brought up. It is not like Duke played against a random D2 team. They are a D2 top 10 team. Those teams can hang, if not beat, half of D1.

What’s up with the Power's guy? Looks like a poor man’s Grady Dick. Or will he be better as he plays some.

Schutt will find minutes as long as he hits shots when called upon .

Foster just puts me in the mind set of this is his only year in college . We will get a better feel for him and McCain this month as the competition they will see are good teams .

Flip imo , still has that softness about him around the rim . Him and Young on the floor together do not complement each other well. He needs Mitchell or Stewart beside him to keep defenses from collapsing on him .

Going to be an interesting month .
Shey, I love Flip and Young, but you need Reeves attitude and production to get us over. Reeves 15 to 20 minutes will do wonders.

I do think Reeves can be. He's 240 and a legit 7-1. But he's got to get healthy. He needs experience in real games. By enforcer I don't mean dirty, but a guy who will bang and make the other teams think twice about going in the lane. I imagine Zoubek wore a lot of guys down his senior year.

Reactions: jamsession2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT