ADVERTISEMENT

Unofficial game day thread- Duke vs UNCP

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
This is a teaser, not going to bring out my big research brain to this one but we need somewhere to chat the game! Anyone going or watching online? Not sure how to get ACCNX so doubt I’ll see it

I hope we get to see a lot of time for everyone down the bench!

Big day for Duke! Semis of FH ACC Tournament, first round of ACC men's soccer tournament on campus, and then this. Basketball keeps it going and hopefully FB caps an exciting two days for the Devils tomorrow.

This could be the start of a successful year tonight. I hope Jeremy Roach plays the steady senior guard force on the court we have been missing since Quinn Cook in '15, and we know how that ended.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Duke wins easily hope to see a lot of bench play and solid early defense . No score .

Hate it for UNCP as they are only two miles from my house and have a nice campus .

I am assuming they are not a big team, so 5th starter McCain or Foster.
They have some size. A lot of upper classmen from 6’2” to 6’8” and their center is a junior at 6’11”. They play pretty good defense .

Reactions: christophero
Duke wins easily hope to see a lot of bench play and solid early defense . No score .

Hate it for UNCP as they are only two miles from my house and have a nice campus .
Actually, I graduated from UNCP. Although, I graduated in 1998, so I'm sure the campus is much nicer now, I did enjoy my time there.

Actually, I graduated from UNCP. Although, I graduated in 1998, so I'm sure the campus is much nicer now, I did enjoy my time there.
Oh so you know about Pembroke and Robeson County lol . I took a couple classes there and worked some events but I’ve stayed two miles from it most my life .

Reactions: christophero
Pembrook 103
Duke 48
I go into meltdown mode and then realize it is my poor eyesight.

Good start to the day. Field hockey blanks Louisviile 1-0 for a rematch with the cheats in the acc championship game on Friday. Men's soccer scored in the third minute against BC in the ACC First Round...

Looks like reeves is injured, hasn’t played and left wrist is taped up pretty good

Reactions: sheyduke
Proctor 5/5 from 3....McCain all over the place looking good and knocking down fts

Watching the game now.
Proctor with 4 first half threes. he looks terrific and might be our best player. (Him and Flip)
Mitchell does all the little things and works hard. But he is still too predictable on offense. Goes straight up to mixed results, getting his shot blocked a few times. Played well. You need glue guys like him. He did hit a 3.
Flip looks healthy and is moving well. Solid game. Some nice low post finishes.
Foster is fast. Gets into the lane and can finish. Wow several nice finishes in the lane. Kid can change gears. He's got a little Rod Strickland to his game.
McCain has great body control and is smooth. Seems to always go straight up with great fundamentals.
Stewart very active and in double figures.
Reeves out. It was reported by Jim Sumner he felt a pre game tweak in his knee. Hope he's okay.
This team has very little rim protection. We could use Reeves healthy.
Roach with some steady veteran play. Played within himself. Flip asserting himself in the second half.
Blakes and Young didn't do much but played hard. Schutt hit a late 3 but seems out of the rotation.
Was watching Power and Stewart closely in the second half as we had a big lead and they got some run. I think we need Stewart more than Power at the moment. Stewart was aggressively mixing it up and had some nice contested buckets and rebounds, while Power kind of hung out outside ready to take a 3. Stewart could be the key to the season; we kind of know about the other guys and what they bring. He played more under control today than CTC.
Overall a nice game against a clearly overmatched opponent. Great to see some action!
Oh one more thing, and it could be big. McCain is a very good FT shooter.

Last edited:
I think we need Stewart more than Power at the moment. Stewart was aggressively mixing it up and had some nice contested buckets and rebounds, while Power kind of hung out outside ready to take a 3. Stewart could be the key to the season; we kind of know about the other guys and what they bring. He played more under control today than CTC.
Overall a nice game against a clearly overmatched opponent. Great to see some action!
Oh one more thing, and it could be big. McCain is a very good FT shooter.
agreed. Rebounding and guarding the paint could be issues if Stewart or Reeves don’t step up.

Its early and an exhibition so i feel stupid for saying this but i am going to say it.

I am not sure this team still doesn’t have an issue with a physical team like last years Tenn with that starting 5 tonight. But Thats probably just me being a lil b*tch

I shall go to church

Watched the entire game . Some take aways:

Starters appear to be Flip, Mitchell, McCain , Roach and Proctor .

Foster is the first guard off the bench .

Blakes looked like he took a step back when he was in until the second half when he took that charge .
Young is going to be what he is , don’t think he will be effective in long spurts .
Will need Reeves and Stewart in the front court and like stated. They were giving Flip all kind of fits in the post .
A lot to build on but rebounding and protecting the paint will be needed .

I believe Reeves not playing was not only intentional, but it allowed the staff to see what Flip looks like being the only BIG on the floor. Of course I want Reeves healthy, but also need to see if Flip can make the right decisions on the defensive end.

Some good summaries above. A common theme is our need for rim protection. I thought that’s a glaring weakness. Having a guy like Mark or Lively in there would make a world of difference. Hopefully Reeves will be that man (while Stewart played well, he wasn’t altering any shots). But i did find myself saying out loud “I wish Cooper was there now”.

Speaking of Stewart, he showed a nice 10-12 foot jumper several times.

Flip’s stats look good, but I didn’t think he dominated like I expected. They were definitely collapsing on him inside, which had something to do with it. Unless I missed it, he didn’t use that spin move that drove us crazy last year.

McCain is the real deal, and we don’t lose much when Foster comes in. Like Christophero said, he is really fast.

Loved our pressure defense - it’s clear these guys have embraced the defensive mindset that used to be our trademark. And that will only get better as our guys get more accustomed to playing with each other.

And as Christophero also said, Schutt is way down on the depth list. If that doesn’t change, I suspect #14 will be available for someone else next year. He hit a couple of nice 3’s, but not sure that will be enough to move him into the rotatatiuon.

I believe Reeves not playing was not only intentional, but it allowed the staff to see what Flip looks like being the only BIG on the floor. Of course I want Reeves healthy, but also need to see if Flip can make the right decisions on the defensive end.
Apparently he tweaked his knee during warmups so it was precautionary

Reactions: jamsession2
Some great defense from our guards, and they also bring different qualities to the table. I am excited about their future. Our depth is SO GREAT at guard, thinking about Blaykes and Schutt as the 5th and 6th options is mind blowing.

I think Jon is going to have to bite the bullet though frequently, and stray from the three guard line-up. He can't worry about someone pouting over it, as we will need rebounding. If it means Stewart, Reeves, go for it. (It's going to be tough to keep Stewart out of that line-up.)

OFC

You guys did some great write ups and I agree with almost all your thoughts.

Flip is not a 5 on defense but the 5 out offense is so good that I think it will be a trade off. However, if Reeves isn't ready to play big minutes then we have no choice but to learn to play really good help defense and get used to not having the aircraft carrier in the middle.

I feel somewhat bad for Schutt. He is such a good shooter but there aren't minutes available on this team and I'm not sure there will be next year. Blakes has his Goldwire-like role but I don't know if Schutt brings enough instant offense to get minutes since he can't really create his own shot.

I see Foster and Stewart as being huge building blocks for next year. So much potential!

Proctor is so much more aggressive and in command than he was last year. I loved to see him dive for a ball going out of bounds! He didn't do that in the early games last year.

Love Mitchell as the glue guy.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Schutt will find minutes as long as he hits shots when called upon .

Foster just puts me in the mind set of this is his only year in college . We will get a better feel for him and McCain this month as the competition they will see are good teams .

Flip imo , still has that softness about him around the rim . Him and Young on the floor together do not complement each other well. He needs Mitchell or Stewart beside him to keep defenses from collapsing on him .

Going to be an interesting month .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT