ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreese Proctor reclassing

Anybody have an unbiased assessment of this kid?
Good offensively, a little on the lean side but he did play over seas . Can play pg or sg. I’d look for the starting line up to be ,
Roach
Proctor
Whitehead
Young or Mitchell
Lively

I think flip will start at the 4
I put young on there to kinda balance the front and back court with some leadership and Mitchell because his ability to run the floor on defense and open court passes. I don’t mind flip starting at the four either.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
I kinda think that this might of been Plan A all along. I was thinking about Proctor when I mentioned the possibility of a reclass before. Due to his age, there was a chance he might go straight to the NBA in 2023 if not for a reclass. IMO, the roster is set now. Very young but very talented bunch. Should be an exciting, fun year. Duke will probably have some WTF losses but should be capable of beating any team in the land.

I kinda think that this might of been Plan A all along. I was thinking about Proctor when I mentioned the possibility of a reclass before. Due to his age, there was a chance he might go straight to the NBA in 2023 if not for a reclass. IMO, the roster is set now. Very young but very talented bunch. Should be an exciting, fun year. Duke will probably have some WTF losses but should be capable of beating any team in the land.
I’d rather have him now than not at all. With our luck he woulda been in the draft next year never playing at duke ala sharpe at uk

Young team but a jr PG can make up for a lot of that. Seems like proctor can shoot too!
I also think there will be some returning players from this class. Obviously, Proctor, Lively and Whitehead are more than likely OAD. But Schutt, Reeves and possibly Mitchell and Flip return. You add those guys to the next recruiting class and it looks solid.

I feel a lot better about the team after adding Proctor. I'm still not sure we are a top ten team, maybe right in that area, but I love having two lead guards on the court at the same time, especially when they can both score.

Reactions: sheyduke
I don’t follow recruiting, and have no idea how good any of these kids are. I’ll hold off saying what the ceiling of this team will be until many games into the season.
The concern I do have, other than being a very young team, is team chemistry. From what I’ve read, we have a lot of top ranked kids, and only 1 basketball.

It’s for Jon to figure out, not me.

I'm not convinced Duke is done stocking its roster for next year.

^ Who do you think it might would be? It might be hard to get anyone expecting playing time now. Max Johns from Princton is also transferring in, I guess mostly as a practice player.

I also think there will be some returning players from this class. Obviously, Proctor, Lively and Whitehead are more than likely OAD. But Schutt, Reeves and possibly Mitchell and Flip return. You add those guys to the next recruiting class and it looks solid.
I think we should just count on every freshman except Schutt to be a OAD.

I expect this team to really struggle, especially once conference starts. Only one upperclassman who will play (good that it’s our PG), a lot of guys thinking about the nba, no experience playing together as a TEAM, and I first year head coach stepping into the epicenter of college basketball. Hopefully they can bring it all together once the tournament starts which is entirely possible. Just have to manage expectations.

I expect this team to really struggle, especially once conference starts. Only one upperclassman who will play (good that it’s our PG), a lot of guys thinking about the nba, no experience playing together as a TEAM, and I first year head coach stepping into the epicenter of college basketball. Hopefully they can bring it all together once the tournament starts which is entirely possible. Just have to manage expectations.
Christian Reeves is not going to be a OAD.

Tyrese is already 18 years old, he’s actually older than Dariq Whitehead and other freshman that have came in and started for Duke. So call him a reclass or whatever, but he’s been playing better competition than the typical 5 star freshman has (and those guys play the best of the best Americans.)

I love this move and still am holding out hope for 1 more piece, preferably a shooter off the bench. Can Baker transfer back? I don’t think Schutt is ready yet.
We’re gonna be young, and this freshman class overall doesn’t seem strong (though we at least have the top guys coming in) so I’m also a bit worried about next season. I think Whitehead is being undersold and has the chance to be a 18-20 ppg guy with elite wing defense.

Reeves is a probable redshirt. Plenty of depth at the 5 to let him develop.
Don’t count on that being a lock just yet . In his last interview he said nothing was set in stone .

I mostly agree except I expect Catchings and definitely Ryan Young to see regular minutes off he bench, and their experience will help. Still, I agree on the expectations.

There is no right or wrong here. We have reason for optimism due to Roach and all the young talent. But we have red flags as well. Entire new team other than Roach. And no coach K. So we will see. We have enough talent to make a run, and enough youth to really struggle. The truth is probably in the middle. I would like to see 20 minutes of Reeves/Catchings for the experience. 3 or 4 seed sounds right, but who knows.

There is no right or wrong here. We have reason for optimism due to Roach and all the young talent. But we have red flags as well. Entire new team other than Roach. And no coach K. So we will see. We have enough talent to make a run, and enough youth to really struggle. The truth is probably in the middle. I would like to see 20 minutes of Reeves/Catchings for the experience. 3 or 4 seed sounds right, but who knows.
You mean Young . Reeves is also a freshman lol

Reactions: christophero
Yes. Great student, barely played. Good kid it seems. I know people are sick of Gonzaga but how the hell do they manage to return 6 of their top 8 guys plus add Malachi Smith and the LSU transfer?

Last edited:
Yes. Great student, barely played. Good kid it seems. I know people are sick of Gonzaga but how the hell do they manage to return 6 of their top 8 guys plus add Malachi Smith and the LSU transfer?
Don’t care . They better hope they don’t play Duke . I’m excited for this team and Jon and staff’s first year .

I watched some footage of Proctor. He looks good, not blazing fast but changes directions nicely. He is pretty skinny but has good height. Sees the floor well, is probably more of a big point guard than a shooting guard but could probably play both. Seems like a heady player. Can shoot from 3 or take it to the rim. Didn't seem like an obvious NBA talent but I imagine he will be one and done. (NBA Draft Room projects him as a first round pick in 2023 or 2024) Will certainly take some pressure off Roach and could allow Roach to play the 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Proctor is a pg/combo guard. We also need to look at the fact that he’s played against FIBA league talent. Him and Foster are the exact player. Him reclassing was smart as it was for the staff to let him do it. Now you have Roach and Proctor to bring the ball up and takes a lot of pressure off Blake’s once he gets in the game off the bench .
If Blake’s grows into his frame an all defensive line up of
Blakes
Proctor
Whitehead
Mitchell
Lively
Is size at every position and Blake’s with his wingspan will be troublesome for opposing guards .
Not to mention Duke still has Catchings, Young , Flip and Schutts and Roach . We might be young but you get everyone to commit on the defensive end the points will come .

Reactions: christophero
Do we ever get all the freshman to commit defensively? Seems like a few do every year. Our defensive aces this year were Williams and Moore. Catchings looks strong and could be a good defender. Lively has a defensive rep. Whitehead has the tools, but so did AJ and Banchero. I will say if Proctor can come in and be an impact, stud type freshman that will make things a lot easier for Jon. (and probably why Jon seemed to be stressing less about the Keels thing than we were, as this was the backup plan) Also if Young gives us 15-20 quality minutes a game and defends that will allow Lively to be more aggressive. We have a lot of new pieces, so if Proctor makes the offense run smoothly that goes a long way. Getting Proctor (which I like more and more now that I think about it) really takes the pressure off Schutt and Blakes, and will allow them to slowly develop. Our better teams always had a good PG, and now we have two.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT