ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Proctor and Sion are following each other now. Definitely think he’s just going through the process before committing.

Think he puts us over the top honestly. If Flagg and Maluach are as good as advertised this team is going to dominate.

Proctor and Sion are following each other now. Definitely think he’s just going through the process before committing.

Think he puts us over the top honestly. If Flagg and Maluach are as good as advertised this team is going to dominate.
To me, malauch is the wild card. He will be really good at some point. I just hope he transitions to college level competition quickly. If so, he could be really really special.

I am glad we are pursuing Sion. Teams are reloading fast with grown men, so we need to keep pace. How is Foster? He has missed valuable development time. We could see Proctor and Sion starting, at least early. All that said college is starting to resemble a pro league and this NIL bidding is giving me a headache. I don't blame the old guard for retiring. It is just a business now.

Last edited:
I am hearing we are reaching out to other guards, so it is likely but not a done deal. I agree he is a perfect fit.
Edit: this aged well!

Last edited:
Anyone else wondering why James hasn’t committed yet? Could he be playing us to leverage a better NIL offer somewhere else? I have to admit I’m a little surprised that he’d be content to be the third guard in a 2-guard lineup, after being The Man at Tulane.
I honestly think if his play proves what he has shown, he could easily overtake one of proctor or foster in minutes

He’s not over taking Proctor maybe foster as he gets healthy and back in shape .

Sion is still doing NBA work outs so I don’t know why anyone thought this would end quickly . He might be one of the few kids who is actually taking in the experience and really listening to what he needs to focus on to get to the next level . One would imagine one point being made to him his going against better competition constantly.

Reactions: youngman42
Wow great news on a Friday. I really like the fact that Jon has recruited a tough experienced guy for the front court, wing and backcourt. We seem to have a very nice blend of youth and experience, and the portal guys are great fits. Only downside is 9 guys are new, but that's what coaches get paid for. I really like our team for next year. We also seem to be getting better at bringing in portal guys. This is a one seed type team, and the first time since the Banchero year that I thought we were a legit title contender. Jon has made some tough choices that have ruffled some feathers, but he has assembled a great team on paper.

Last edited:
This is like the Banchero team that had some big guys--Paolo, Keels, Griffin, even Mark Williams had put some weight on by then. That's what you need these days. And they all seem to be high character guys as well.

A remarkable job by Jon in my opinion.

That’s 11 guys and the shortest is 6’5. A lot of teams are gonna be looking up at Duke guys next year when they’re standing beside them on the court.

I think this is your 2024/2025 Duke team. I don’t see them pursuing any other players to add to this group.

We have also gotten 3 portal players who could start elsewhere. I imagine one portal guy will start and the other two will be first guys off the bench. Kon, Harris and the other freshman big may get Power type minutes.

We have also gotten 3 portal players who could start elsewhere. I imagine one portal guy will start and the other two will be first guys off the bench. Kon, Harris and the other freshman big may get Power type minutes
What's your starting five, and minutes?

• Haha
Reactions: bullcity gamer
Malauch, Cooper, Gillis, Foster and Proctor. Then Brown, Sion, and Evans. Evans may end up starting. Brown for Gillis if we go big. Not sure if Sion will start but he has a chance. Kon if injuries. The other feshman big if injuries

Malauch, Cooper, Gillis, Foster and Proctor. Then Brown, Sion, and Evans. Evans may end up starting. Brown for Gillis if we go big. Not sure if Sion will start but he has a chance. Kon if injuries. The other feshman big if injuries
I think Gillis comes off the bench for us as he did for Purdue, his toughness and shooting will be something Duke rarely ever gets off the bench. With Maluach being a huge question mark and no one sure how good Evans really could be, I think it’s impossible to project the starters other than Flagg and Proctor.

Proctor, Foster, James/Evans, Flagg, Brown as our small ball line up has me very excited though. Flagg is a rim protector so we don’t always have to play a center. Jon has A LOT of options.

We certainly have the talent. Putting the usual injury caveats aside, I think our success is going to depend on whether everyone buys into the “team first” concept. I had a strong feeling that this year’s team had at least a couple of players whose primary focus was on their draft status.

Starting five . Mal, Brown, Flag , Foster/James, Proctor .
If Gillis starts over Brown that would amaze me seeing as how Brown can help Mal in the post .Not saying Gillis can’t play on the post just that this Duke team is better suited for him being first off bench with Evans .

Keep in mind no one knows how much work Foster will be doing this summer and his conditioning.

Last edited:
We certainly have the talent. Putting the usual injury caveats aside, I think our success is going to depend on whether everyone buys into the “team first” concept. I had a strong feeling that this year’s team had at least a couple of players whose primary focus was on their draft status.
This is the issue that we should at least consider as a problem. All eleven will not play the minutes they think they should, but if they all put Duke first, then the rest of my post is irrelevant.

We don't know how they'll act when either A, the guy in front of them balls out, leaving them stuck on the bench, or B, the guy in front of them isn't doing as good as they think they would if it was them out there.

It's all going to depend on where Jon puts Flagg. If he's at the four, Evans is starting sooner rather than later. If he's a three, that could open the door for Brown to start. Either way, we all know that by February- we will be down to a 8 man rotation so it will be interesting.

No matter how you look at it, this is an extremely big and versatile roster with an incredible recruiting class and a few proven vets to help with all the talent.

It depends if the other freshman center is ready for rotation minutes. If not Brown would be our back up big and may come off the bench. I think Brown will get at least 20 minutes a game regardless. We may not want to wear Cooper down by playing him 35 plus minutes.

Reactions: jamsession2
Love the make up of this roster right now, we’ve got our typical haul of stud freshman, an experienced backcourt, and three GOOD transfers with 10 years of college ball collectively.

Then the physical make up is long and athletic with plenty of shooting ability. And these dudes seem to be highly competitive. We shall see but I think this team is going to be nasty.

It depends if the other freshman center is ready for rotation minutes. If not Brown would be our back up big and may come off the bench. I think Brown will get at least 20 minutes a game regardless. We may not want to wear Cooper down by playing him 35 plus minutes.
Even if he was the back up big , you slide Flagg to the four when you move Brown to the Five and Bring in Gillis or Evans to man the three. Ideally you hope big Pat can back up the Five allowing Brown and Gillis to man the four , Flagg and Evans at the three and leaves you Harris, Knup and Sion to get minutes at the SF and Sg spot with Proctor and Foster .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT