ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Omg on the Kentucky board they have a picture of Hubert Davis on a cell phone outside in a parking lot walking around Lexington, KY. Of course I sent it to my chapel hill college fan brother-in-law. I think it freaked him out lol 😅🤣

Norchad
Maluach
Brown
Ngongba

Would love those 4 manning the 4 and 5 spots all season. If Duke lands Norchad though I could see either or both of Harris & Knuepple going elsewhere.

Reactions: Duke Blu
SDSU senior guard LaMont Butler has been contacted by Duke. This guy is legit, but not sure we can get him. We would be stacked and experienced if we get him. Hit the game winning shot in the final four last year.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of recruiting guys and then immediately bringing in someone to play ahead of them, but this season proves that you can't count on a freshman just because of his ranking. None of the 3 wings who were recruited can play and defend at the point it appears to me.

Reactions: jamsession2
I don't like the idea of recruiting guys and then immediately bringing in someone to play ahead of them, but this season proves that you can't count on a freshman just because of his ranking. None of the 3 wings who were recruited can play and defend at the point it appears to me.
Great Point. That should always be the attitude of the coaching staff. I appreciate Flagg being here like anyone else, but he's not proven yet! Experience is something you can't buy, it's just there!

No way we do a 3 guard lineup with Brown, Maluach and Cooper coming in.

I can only assume Coach S. is telling any transfer that they will come off the bench for major minutes, maybe 15-20. If someone isn't good with that, I don't want them to take away from the 3 freshmen's chance to earn some minutes.

I generally didn’t like the 3-guard lineup this year, as we used it virtually all the time. But there were times in games when a 3-guard lineup made sense. Between those times, and the necessary substitution for Proctor and Foster during games, there may be more than 20 minutes available. Not to mention the inevitable injury situation - each of Foster, Proctor, Roach and McCain missed time due to that.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
I would imagine with the staff still going after a combo/scoring guard and no player leaving yet that it has been established to the players that the staff wants to win and believes each player is vital . If not you are possibly only looking at two returning players in 25 again .

I love that Jon is being this aggressive in the portal. Teams are not only reloading, but getting older, so Jon is countering. If a freshman decommits that is fine; guys want to play. We are probably bringing one more guard in. Poplar and are Brea are combo guards. Brea shot nearly 50%from 3. U Conn is going after him as well and is hosting him this weekend. Between those two and the SDSU kid we have a good shot at landing one. Brea would help more on 0; Butler more on D. Poplar averaged 13ppg last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neue Regel
Saw somewhere that Brea cancelled trip (no link, sorry).

Yes, he shot about 50% last year. He was at 39% his first 3 years (still good, but not other worldly). Due for some mean reversion?

Reactions: christophero
These guys Duke is reaching out to now makes no sense. We have six highly rated freshmen coming in, along with two returning good guards. Jon added Gillis and Brown, two experienced and solid players. That's ten decent guys.
If he's going after more guys in the portal that are good, that tells me he's not comfortable with a few of the freshmen he signed. Or at least one isn't coming.

Or someone will redshirt

Or he wants to win badly

Or he doesn't care if a freshman leaves

Or he talked to all the freshmen and they are OK with it

Or.....

I think #2 is definitely true, #4 is possible but I doubt it, and #3 may not really be true but may happen anyhow.

I think Scheyer is above thinking this way but I could see him figure that the freshmen will probably leave in a year anyhow so what do I care if they leave now if they aren't willing to wait to become rotation players.

Saw somewhere that Brea cancelled trip (no link, sorry).

Yes, he shot about 50% last year. He was at 39% his first 3 years (still good, but not other worldly). Due for some mean reversion?
Yeah Stephen Wiseman is reporting it was cancelled

Prob means we get the Miami kid
Doubt it . He wants to start I would assume and I just don’t see it with Dukes roster make up . No one knows what these kids will do at the college level until they actually play at this level . Harris was supposed to be our lowest recruit yet he’s risen up the college rankings . Plenty of time left to still see who can be gotten from the portal .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT