ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Just curious, how's his D? Re-watched Purdue's games against Tennessee and Bama and he seems average at best...got lost a little bit and lacks lateral quickness but tries to make up for his deficiencies with hustle. Definitely an excellent positional rebounder and a great 3PT shooter in that offense.

My concern with Gillis is, with the way Scheyer prioritizes defense first and how we really don't run a lot of action for our shooters, I wonder what his impact on the court will be (obviously seems like another future All-ACC academic guy which has been a strong point for us lately). I realize he will be coming off the bench for us but honestly I'd be shocked if he gets anywhere near his consistent MPG avg when he was at Purdue.
You pretty much summed it up. Not the best with lateral quickness but is a good enough defender assuming he’s not guarding someone that’s extremely quick. Hustle/rebounding makes up for some of the quickness deficiencies. He’s at his best when he’s able to get open shots as he isn’t someone who can create shots for himself. But a great 3-point/FT shooter who will always play his ass off.

Or they can play 3 guards, that backcourt defense would be terrible
They still have to find time for Trimble and Powell. Right now UNC faithful is projecting Jackson 10 minutes, Trimble 10 minutes and Powell 15 minutes a game. They had EC at 30 minutes and Davis at 30 minutes. But that is also assuming they get Cade Tyson transfer. So they all would share the 3 spot pretty much. Someone is going to be very unhappy. Also if those three man the 3 spot they would more than likely have to guard Flagg in our matchup. Would like that matchup for Duke.

RJ is a volume shooter. He's gonna get his minutes and take his shots. UNC will figure it out (just like Duke did). I have no doubt they will field a formidable team, and the rivalry will be a battle......as it should be! But it is time for Duke to take a few!

They still have to find time for Trimble and Powell. Right now UNC faithful is projecting Jackson 10 minutes, Trimble 10 minutes and Powell 15 minutes a game. They had EC at 30 minutes and Davis at 30 minutes. But that is also assuming they get Cade Tyson transfer. So they all would share the 3 spot pretty much. Someone is going to be very unhappy. Also if those three man the 3 spot they would more than likely have to guard Flagg in our matchup. Would like that matchup for Duke.
In no world can I see Jackson being ok with 10 minutes. This guy is a top 10 player but with UNC it wouldn’t shock me. Make no mistake, Trimble is back because no one wanted him

They still have to find time for Trimble and Powell. Right now UNC faithful is projecting Jackson 10 minutes, Trimble 10 minutes and Powell 15 minutes a game. They had EC at 30 minutes and Davis at 30 minutes. But that is also assuming they get Cade Tyson transfer. So they all would share the 3 spot pretty much. Someone is going to be very unhappy.
In no world can I see Jackson being ok with 10 minutes. This guy is a top 10 player but with UNC it wouldn’t shock me. Make no mistake, Trimble is back because no one wanted him
Aren't we pretty loaded at the small forward spot? Jon brought in the #1, 12, 17, and 51st rated guys at that position. Plus the transfer Gillis. We are also stocked (minutes wise) at the guard spots with Foster and Proctor.

These comments sound similar to what many Duke fans are saying.

Aren't we pretty loaded at the small forward spot? Jon brought in the #1, 12, 17, and 51st rated guys at that position. Plus the transfer Gillis. We are also stocked (minutes wise) at the guard spots with Foster and Proctor.

Yep, this is why I’m on the fence with bringing in another guard. Becuase if we don’t find minutes for kon, Harris we’ve already seen what happens. Although I’m sure there was more behind the scenes stuff that we’ll never know about.

Reactions: Mac9192

Only difference is Jackson & Powell both should be 1 & done prospects. Those should be getting major minutes. You can’t compare those two to Kon & Harris, which both will more than like be spot minutes next season. As for Gillis I see majority of his minutes at the 4 with Brown. Brown might have to play some minutes at the 5 with Flagg at 4 in a smaller lineup. That will open some minutes at the SF spot also. Regarding the guard spot I’m just worried about any type of injury to either Proctor or Foster. They both were out last season for multiple games. That would be my only reason to add one more proven guard in the portal.

Agree Corey, we are one (Duke) rolled ankle from being down to one PG. But I agree with others here that it's a tough spot to fill from the portal. What upper tier PG in the portal wants to come ride the pine and wait for an injury that may or may not happen?

Reactions: Mac9192
Agree Corey, we are one (Duke) rolled ankle from being down to one PG. But I agree with others here that it's a tough spot to fill from the portal. What upper tier PG in the portal wants to come ride the pine and wait for an injury that may or may not happen?
That is the tricky part and also to not rock the boat. But it doesn’t have to be a PG it could be a comb guard type of player. Guess we will see what happens.

Only difference is Jackson & Powell both should be 1 & done prospects. Those should be getting major minutes. You can’t compare those two to Kon & Harris, which both will more than like be spot minutes next season. As for Gillis I see majority of his minutes at the 4 with Brown. Brown might have to play some minutes at the 5 with Flagg at 4 in a smaller lineup. That will open some minutes at the SF spot also. Regarding the guard spot I’m just worried about any type of injury to either Proctor or Foster. They both were out last season for multiple games. That would be my only reason to add one more proven guard in the portal.
Don't forget about Evans, who some say is a dog. Knueppel is a top 20 kid. Are we expecting him to be like Power was? I've heard he's better. We can try projecting that this guy will play some at this or that position, but very rarely have things gone the way we think they will.

My point is Duke has a lot of mouths to feed, and I think at least 2-3 of them will be left hungry. As long as the players buy in, I believe we can be really good.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Don't forget about Evans, who some say is a dog. Knueppel is a top 20 kid. Are we expecting him to be like Power was? I've heard he's better. We can try projecting that this guy will play some at this or that position, but very rarely have things gone the way we think they will.

My point is Duke has a lot of mouths to feed, and I think at least 2-3 of them will be left hungry. As long as the players buy in, I believe we can be really good.
I believe every team has that issue and why you can’t play 13 players. I think that is why Duke usually doesn’t use their full scholarship limit. But leaving 3 open might be much in my opinion. You just have to hope players know their expectations and their role. As for Evans I see major minutes at the guard spot since he is the first option after Proctor & Foster.

Gillis would be very undersized at the 4, I think he is only listed as 6’6”
But he’s built like a tank . He will log minutes at the four . There simply isn’t enough bench minutes at sf . If he was recruited to come off the bench at the sf spot someone is odd man out and you’ll see them in the portal, if he was recruited to help at sg once again no need to look at a combo guard . It’s positionless basketball anyway but I don’t see with four sf’s signed you sign a fifth just to play the same spot as your freshman .

Reactions: jamsession2
Considering Proctor wasn’t on draft boards, yes. Had mark been on draft boards he’d be entered in vs being at mizzou
But he could have went right back overseas and he was on draft boards prior to last season starting . He was as high as mid first round . NIL is a major reason you see players returning period .

But he’s built like a tank . He will log minutes at the four . There simply isn’t enough bench minutes at sf . If he was recruited to come off the bench at the sf spot someone is odd man out and you’ll see them in the portal, if he was recruited to help at sg once again no need to look at a combo guard . It’s positionless basketball anyway but I don’t see with four sf’s signed you sign a fifth just to play the same spot as your freshman .
If he can play a Nate James/Dave McClure/Lance Thomas role...Duke will be Great. Keep Flagg from playing a bunch of minutes at the 4. He does not have that college/man weight yet.

Reactions: sheyduke
But he could have went right back overseas and he was on draft boards prior to last season starting . He was as high as mid first round . NIL is a major reason you see players returning period .
Mark will develop his game under Dennis Gates with little to no pressure. Many of these kids don't want to accountability, demand or pressure. They want an easy ride.

Reactions: sheyduke
I believe every team has that issue and why you can’t play 13 players. I think that is why Duke usually doesn’t use their full scholarship limit. But leaving 3 open might be much in my opinion. You just have to hope players know their expectations and their role. As for Evans I see major minutes at the guard spot since he is the first option after Proctor & Foster.

Bingo, Evans is Brandon Ingram - Esque!

Reactions: dukecorey
Mark will develop his game under Dennis Gates with little to no pressure. Many of these kids don't want to accountability, demand or pressure. They want an easy ride.
Not to mention Missouri also picked up another scoring true sf in the portal so that situation alone will be interesting

Think about 2010 though. Scheyer/Smith/Dawkins and that’s it for the guards. Obviously it worked out in ways we never imagined but man that is a scary lack of guard depth. Especially when you consider there were really no other ball handlers on that team. Thomas, the two Plumlees, Zoubek, Singler and Kelly. Of that group really only Kyle could work the orange some on dribbling duties.

Wait, we’re criticizing the holes and Davis for returning? I get why he’s staying, and I don’t blame him. He will make great money, and be the king on campus. The only reason we are mad is because he makes them better and we have to play him at least twice.

Let’s also be honest. Duke brought back a junior Proctor. Would we have before NIL?

Well, yes and no. A big part of it for me is the absolute moth-eaten chapel hill college attack against Duke all those years for kids staying in school. And it was used as some kind of morality litmus test against Mike Krzyzewski to prop up Dean with the claim that Smith ran them off for their betterment. (Yea right)

So to see two guys play 5 years is just kind of absurd really. We can debate the merits of their draft situation all day but we’re talking about an ACC POY and another guy who has all these successful stats. (Bacot) not because he was necessarily a great player, but because he was a very good player who had to run out of whatever eligibility the current climate would allow before he would ever move on. (That was once called a lack of player development by Carolina fans when Duke was involved. )

Regarding Proctor, this year should have been his first year of College and would have had he not come from Australia. So he’s going to be a rather young junior.

Think about 2010 though. Scheyer/Smith/Dawkins and that’s it for the guards. Obviously it worked out in ways we never imagined but man that is a scary lack of guard depth. Especially when you consider there were really no other ball handlers on that team. Thomas, the two Plumlees, Zoubek, Singler and Kelly. Of that group really only Kyle could work the orange some on dribbling duties.

Replying to my own post, lol but just to add to that which I meant to. In my mind it’s not just about what’s considered your guard depth, but also who has the ability to handle the ball if there was an injury? if there are other guys who aren’t considered primary ballhandlers but who have the ability to help with that you still have some flexibility there.

Another example the 1992 Duke team. Thank goodness Grant Hill had the ability to do what he did when Bobby Hurley was out for nearly 3 weeks. The very underrated Thomas Hill, Hurley‘s backcourt mate, and the second leading scorer on that team was wonderful, but he was not a guy that you were going to have doing a lot of dribbling duties.

Last edited:
How happy do you think their two big time freshman are?? This plus Trimble coming back really cuts into Jackson & Powell playing time. Only so many minutes and one ball. RJ will easily play 30-35 minutes a game. How many Elliot Cadeau going to play 30? Even if they play 3 guards that 55 minutes between Trimble, Jackson & Powell. I’m sure none of them signed up for 15 minutes a game. My question does Ian Jackson or D. Powell ask out of their commitment?

Jackson can play the 3 & Powell the 4 in Ingram’s role. I don’t think Powell is expecting more than 15 min per game. Jackson may be a different story, but if I had to guess, I don’t think RJ is expecting his same role coming back. I think his points were a necessity last year but may not be needed as much this coming year. I’m sure y’all disagree but time will tell, we shall see.

Well, yes and no. A big part of it for me is the absolute moth-eaten chapel hill college attack against Duke all those years for kids staying in school. And it was used as some kind of morality litmus test against Mike Krzyzewski to prop up Dean with the claim that Smith ran them off for their betterment. (Yea right)

So to see two guys play 5 years is just kind of absurd really. We can debate the merits of their draft situation all day but we’re talking about an ACC POY and another guy who has all these successful stats. (Bacot) not because he was necessarily a great player, but because he was a very good player who had to run out of whatever eligibility the current climate would allow before he would ever move on. (That was once called a lack of player development by Carolina fans when Duke was involved. )

Regarding Proctor, this year should have been his first year of College and would have had he not come from Australia. So he’s going to be a rather young junior.

NIL makes the narrative different. Neither Bacot nor Davis stays 5 years without NIL money, they would otherwise be overseas playing.

Jackson can play the 3 & Powell the 4 in Ingram’s role. I don’t think Powell is expecting more than 15 min per game. Jackson may be a different story, but if I had to guess, I don’t think RJ is expecting his same role coming back. I think his points were a necessity last year but may not be needed as much this coming year. I’m sure y’all disagree but time will tell, we shall see.
A 5* is expecting to play 15 minutes/game?

A 6'5" 190 pound power forward? This isn't high school.

Davis' points a necessity when the team has Ryan, Ingram and Bacot?

A 5* is expecting to play 15 minutes/game?

A 6'5" 190 pound power forward? This isn't high school.

Davis' points a necessity when the team has Ryan, Ingram and Bacot?

I qualified that you all would likely disagree. This is just my take and if I'm wrong it won't be the first or last time. Not every 5 star has to play 30 min per game. I think Drake is wired different in that aspect, he's more of a team guy that can impact a game in a lot of ways. I also think he's closer to Ingram's size than you suggest. Anyway, I'm sure not every 5 star you guys have reeled in has played all they want either, Chase Jeter comes to mind but I'm sure there are several others.

I qualified that you all would likely disagree. This is just my take and if I'm wrong it won't be the first or last time. Not every 5 star has to play 30 min per game. I think Drake is wired different in that aspect, he's more of a team guy that can impact a game in a lot of ways. I also think he's closer to Ingram's size than you suggest. Anyway, I'm sure not every 5 star you guys have reeled in has played all they want either, Chase Jeter comes to mind but I'm sure there are several others.
Chase Jeter? He did nothing through out his college career . Still trying to figure out how he became a five star .

In other news read where Miami has reached out to both Stewart and Power.

Reactions: Neue Regel
Chase Jeter? He did nothing through out his college career . Still trying to figure out how he became a five star .

In other news read where Miami has reached out to both Stewart and Power.

Thank You!! That was something I was wondering the other day who is evaluating these players now because I see five star players who aren’t as good as three star players on other teams. Bob Gibbons and Brick Oettinger used to be the big recruiting evaluators back in the 90s and early 2000s. I don’t know who is considered reliable these days. Any of you folks ever get the old poop sheet magazine which later became the ACC sports Journal?

Off-topic but this seems to be the most lively thread. Saw where the judge in Tallahassee has sent the ACC and Florida State into mediation. Noles wanting to tiptoe through the tulips all the way out the door and leave the ACC without paying the $140 million exit penalty. 🙄

Last edited:
I highly doubt any five star kid coming will be happy taking a minor role on a team. They've been told how good they are, multiple colleges were after them, so if they don't feel the love at their first destination, out the door they go.

It goes both ways though. Coaches don't have to wait and hope a kid develops anymore either. See Mark Mitchell. I could be wrong, but I think it was most likely mutual that he take his suitcases somewhere else.

What a wonderful era of sports we live in.

I highly doubt any five star kid coming will be happy taking a minor role on a team. They've been told how good they are, multiple colleges were after them, so if they don't feel the love at their first destination, out the door they go.

It goes both ways though. Coaches don't have to wait and hope a kid develops anymore either. See Mark Mitchell. I could be wrong, but I think it was most likely mutual that he take his suitcases somewhere else.

What a wonderful era of sports we live in.
UNC is getting ready to see what the portal season is like for Duke most years. Enjoy bitches.

• Haha
Reactions: Neue Regel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT