ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Sp
Chris, I’ll be honest I really don’t know much about UConn other than their studs.

Castle has declared for the draft, Clinigan is projected top 5 pick in this summer’s draft, Newton has graduated, Dyastra and Karaban are projected to be drafted in this summers draft. The only player I can see returning is Spencer (if he has any eligibility left).
Spencer is gone too. Expect an NIT trip for them.

With all of these transfers, my only question is as to whether Jon knows how to use his bench. If our recruits were so good before coming here, why did we make such minimal use of them? I find it very hard to believe that Stewart and Power were incapable of giving us significant useful minutes. They invested in Duke, but Duke did not invest in them. They should have been parts of regular rotations. OFC
Wait, so because they came to Duke the coaching staff is obligated to play them otherwise they aren't investing in them? I think that's a pretty short sighted viewpoint. Who would you have taken minutes from? Ryan Young? Then the argument would be that Ryan Young invested in Duke but Duke did not invest in him.

With all of these transfers, my only question is as to whether Jon knows how to use his bench. If our recruits were so good before coming here, why did we make such minimal use of them? I find it very hard to believe that Stewart and Power were incapable of giving us significant useful minutes. They invested in Duke, but Duke did not invest in them. They should have been parts of regular rotations. OFC
Good point Devil. We've pounded our chests for years that the talent wants to come and be a part of The Brotherhood. We can say what we want, but this doesn't look good on Duke. Jon will definitely have to adjust, and either play the kids he recruits, or we will have departures like Stewart and Power again.

Mitchell, Roach, and Blakes leaving isn't on the staff. Mitchell had two years here, and played more than he probably should have. Blakes just isn't good enough, and Roach gave Duke 4 years.

Last edited:
Sp

Spencer is gone too. Expect an NIT trip for them.
Not likely. Hurley makes his brother look sedated. He is one motivated guy, who knows how to pick and motivate his players. They’ll have an adjustment period in the early season, then watch them. I’m not saying they’ll repeat, but they’ll be a force to reckon with come tourney time.

Travis Branham just logged a crystal ball for Mason Gillis to Duke. That would help alot for next year's squad. 6'6- an excellent shooter and can bang the boards. Plus, he's been in all the big games at Purdue.

23 years old and will turn 24 at start of the season. Exactly what would be needed off the bench.

Last edited:
Duke will be find!! Word on the street this group didn’t work hard. That only 2-3 guys put in that extra work doing the year to help improve your game! My take is the coaches told these guys it might be better if you found somewhere else to play! Duke needs some dogs! Flagg a dog, Evans a dog, Mal is intimidated, Proctor a dog he the only one I saw talk shit on the court, Stewart a dog and Foster has some dog in him now get 3 older transfers Duke will be a top 3 team next

Travis Branham just logged a crystal ball for Mason Gillis to Duke. That would help alot for next year's squad. 6'6- an excellent shooter and can bang the boards. Plus, he's been in all the big games at Purdue.

23 years old and will turn 24 at start of the season. Exactly what would be needed off the bench.
Gillis would be a huge get. He's been a role player on a team with a superstar and would give us alot more than any of the young transfers.

Wait, so because they came to Duke the coaching staff is obligated to play them otherwise they aren't investing in them? I think that's a pretty short sighted viewpoint. Who would you have taken minutes from? Ryan Young? Then the argument would be that Ryan Young invested in Duke but Duke did not invest in him.
Not surprised that you totally missed the point. The point is that if Jon is doing such a good job of recruiting, why are his recruits not getting more PT? And if he is doing a great job, then those recruits who have trusted and invested in him over all of the other offers thay have received, they should have a real chance to prove thier worth over time against good competition. We cannot ever know how good they could be if they are not given a REAL chance. So, you bring them in, let them play in real games (and not just scrimmages) to prove how good they can become. 30 minutes of PTover one season will not do the job. OFC

You are not a good troll. If you’ve been on this site for years, you wouldn’t be a “Recruit”. Seeing how bad your first post on here was grammatically wise, you’re either a Kentucky or North Carolina fan who has no life.

Go kick rocks, troll. Duke is going to kick your team’s a** in 24-25 whether you’re a wildcat or a tarheel.
lol go kick rocks I like that one! But nope I’m a true Duke fan if you believe me or not! And I’m hoping and wishing Duke kick everyone ass next year!!!!!

lol go kick rocks I like that one! But nope I’m a true Duke fan if you believe me or not! And I’m hoping and wishing Duke kick everyone ass next year!!!!!
They won’t . No matter what portal players they bring in . The entire team will be new to one another and the freshman will have major adjustments. I’m not saying it will be a bad season but I wouldn’t say NC .

They won’t . No matter what portal players they bring in . The entire team will be new to one another and the freshman will have major adjustments. I’m not saying it will be a bad season but I wouldn’t say NC .
Hopefully Coach can get them all in sync! But I like the idea of bringing in some veteran transfers that have played important roles on other teams to go along with the freshmen coming in! I like the idea of doing something different hopefully it leads to Championship!

Not surprised that you totally missed the point. The point is that if Jon is doing such a good job of recruiting, why are his recruits not getting more PT? And if he is doing a great job, then those recruits who have trusted and invested in him over all of the other offers thay have received, they should have a real chance to prove thier worth over time against good competition. We cannot ever know how good they could be if they are not given a REAL chance. So, you bring them in, let them play in real games (and not just scrimmages) to prove how good they can become. 30 minutes of PTover one season will not do the job. OFC
Not surprised you can’t answer a simple question I posed to you. You can’t because it disproves your point. You want Duke to have its cake and eat it too. It doesn’t work that way anymore.

Hopefully Coach can get them all in sync! But I like the idea of bringing in some veteran transfers that have played important roles on other teams to go along with the freshmen coming in! I like the idea of doing something different hopefully it leads to Championship!
It depends how they buy in that’s the freshman included .

Exactly. SO many team are brand new each year these days. Duke will be just fine and has a ton of talent coming in. Sprinkle in a few portal kids and we are in business
I like your optimism but we say this every year. All we needed last offseason to be a serious title contender was an inside presence. We all knew that. We didn’t get one

Not happy with 7 transfers, but the Syracuse and Purdue players would be a nice start. We don't have either of them yet but we seem to be the leaders. I assume they are good students.

Last edited:
I wish Mark Mitchell the very best of luck. I never questioned his motor, just that his skill came and went.

I would be disappointed if Stewart leaves only because he really loves Duke, but I guess the need to play right away and not fight for PT is the motivating factor. What gets me is, as soon as players get PT and blow up, they are out the door.
This is the one guy that I don’t get. IMO, you pay Stewart at least much as what you’re offering Brown. Maybe we can get Mitchell or Stewart to reconsider.
Mitchell and Roach started and still left. Guys want to get paid.
Yeah, if Scheyer and Duke didn’t make it clear that Stewart would be a starter next year then that’s a major f#ck up on Scheyer’s part. Hes in the same boat as Foster and Proctor & is a lock as our PF starter next year.

Last edited:
I like your optimism but we say this every year. All we needed last offseason to be a serious title contender was an inside presence. We all knew that. We didn’t get one
Yeah- I understand what you're saying and do not disagree. We absolutely need atleast two experienced, quality transfers and we have plenty of time/options to do so. Alot of talent coming in next year.

Gillis checks a lot of boxes. He's strong, experienced, and started at Purdue 2 years before being 6th man of the year in the Big 10. Him and the Syracuse guy would make us older and tougher, they are both good defenders. It's worth pointing out that Roach and Mitchell are ranked much higher as transfers than Brown and Gillis, at least by CBS. Still, they both look like solid role players. Add another portal guard and that is a pretty good team, although that is a lot of ifs. And a lot of new guys.

Last edited:
Losing Stewart hurts but I think ultimately Duke is about to get what a lot of fans have wanted. Experience and toughness via the portal.

The same thing will probably happen again next year with 1-3 of our incoming freshmen. They give Duke a chance and if they are outside that top 5 on the team they will chase the highest bidder. Then we will fill the gaps with veterans and hopefully another strong recruiting class.

I know a lot of people were high on Stewart and power but they were not going to get much playing time next year. Power was a liability on defense. Stewart is a little undersized for what we need. I can’t blame them for leaving and I can’t blame Duke staff for trying to improve roster.

Gillis checks a lot of boxes. He's strong, experienced, and started at Purdue 2 years before being 6th man of the year in the Big 10. Him and the Syracuse guy would make us older and tougher, they are both good defenders. It's worth pointing out that Roach and Mitchell are ranked much higher as transfers than Brown and Gillis, at least by CBS. Still, they both look like solid role players. Add another portal guard and that is a pretty good team, although that is a lot of ifs. And a lot of new guys.
We don’t need them to be better then roach or Mitchell, those roles are filled on this team.. we need them to fit the role to optimize a generational talent

Brown is much better than Stewart and Power right now. He could start for us next year. He led the ACC in steals. He is more on the level of Mitchell. Arguably better. Plus he has 2 years, for whatever that is worth these days.

Absolutely! And Brown can shoot, defend and was forced into playing out of position at times for the Cuse. The ACC’s steals leader like you said. He’d make this team better than Power or Stewart. Since these days it seems to be an either/or scenario for players. If you want that one you can’t keep this one. There was a time in the sport when you could have both and the younger kid waited their turn and developed. Everyone thinks they’re a starter these days. 🙄

Brown didn't even start for Syracuse- I would have to believe he's not starting for Duke. All we can hope for is he's a solid rotational guy who can give minutes when needed. Gillis is top priority at this point.

We have to be realistic that most programs are not going to play more than 9 guys in a game throughout the regular season (unless it’s a blowout game). During the post season, the rotations shrink throughout the country. The only way to give all scholarship players is to run a platooning system. Good Luck trying to convince guys who want all the minutes they can handle to only play half of a game. Like Neue said gone are the days of underclassmen want to “wait their turn” I honestly don’t blame them, you’re only young once.

2010-2011 season was the last time Duke legitimately played 10 guys before Kyrie went down with his injury:

Kyrie
Smith
Singler
Kelly
MP2
Curry
MP1
Dawkins
Thornton
Hairston

But it's Duke, and we seem to always have 1-2 guys injured, so we need at least 9 guys. With Roach, McCain, Schutt and Blakes gone (damn that's a lot of guards gone) we need to get a portal guard. A guard, Brown or Gillis and that's 10. We may only get one of Gillis/ Brown as they are both forwards. Is Gillis a 3 or a 4? From what I've seen they are both 4s. If we bring in Brown and Gillis one of our freshman could decommit, but we need some experience and Jon knows this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neue Regel
Chris, I think Gillis is a 3, don’t quote me on that though haha. I had seen Duke had reached out to Maheny from Saint Mary’s he would be a very good guard to add to this roster. He is going to be a Junior.

Reactions: christophero
Carlyle I believe is the Stanford kid we showed interest in. He's a big guard, a 2 or a 3. Averaged 11ppg as a freshman. I know Brown visited and Gillis is visiting soon.

Carlyle I believe is the Stanford kid we showed interest in. He's a big guard, a 2 or a 3. Averaged 11ppg as a freshman. I know Brown visited and Gillis is visiting soon.
If Duke lands Gillis, Brown, and Carlyle, Duke still needs a PF or a couple PFs unless the coaching staff plans on playing the freshmen at the PF which to be fair this incoming class has a plethora of size to man the Forward spots.

Reactions: christophero
Maybe Stewart felt slighted, maybe he didn’t want to compete for the starting spot, maybe he was not given a fair shake his freshman season. I don’t know.

It could be that Jon wouldn’t give into a player, and for what he feels is betterment of the team, is rolling the dice on someone else.

I know it’s a lot of maybes and possibilities. But Jon is the man in charge.

And I wouldn’t want his job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT