ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

And if I gotta PAY a kid, or "Match" competition for NIL money, you can go and move on Happily.. This is DUKE. You've always earned what you got... The real world is real, handouts have never been given out in my life.

And if I gotta PAY a kid, or "Match" competition for NIL money, you can go and move on Happily.. This is DUKE. You've always earned what you got... The real world is real, handouts have never been given out in my life.
That's a good policy for underclassmen. The kid that is going to the highest bidder is just going to hit the portal the next year, and the next, anyways.

Alex murphy…. Joey baker…. Tj power…

I actually liked TJ and thought he’d produce this decision makes no sense.
I wouldn’t lump Murphy and baker in with power. Power can play. And not only that he was really REALLY determined to get better. Loved how he was always shooting after games. He deserved more of a chance. This one hurts the most with roach.

We have a generational talent coming in, another top five pick in Malauch, three additional five stars, and an extremely underrated four star. Combine that with Rese and Proctor coming back, hopefully Sean coming back and It looks like we will add a veteran or two in the portal.

I think that's far from doomsday and I'm excited for next year.

It’s just….strange. It’s strange to think about it in that way as you said it was always earning what you got and waited for your turn. Hell there were some games as a Freshmen that Christian Laettner barely played in. But that era of College Hoops is gone. It’s just gone. I’m still right now taken aback at this NIL thing when we’re seeing million dollar payouts for portal transfers. Trying to wrap my brain around it.

Like everything else in life, change is inevitable. :(

Reactions: DBM0828 and Mac9192
We’re moving fast to having contracts. One or two years. Negotiating NIL, playing time, and drawn up by lawyers.

In this era, can you blame Power? Rated high out of H.S. to sit for majority of the time. Then you see the staff is signing multiple guys that have games similar to yours. Plus one that is hyped as the next great one. So why sit at Duke when someone else will most likely pay you and you can play?

There’s very little of earning your time, anymore. Kids are going to get what they want, or find someone that will.

The exceptions most likely will be the kids that start out at small schools and their stats catch the attention of the bigger schools. Like Knecht at Tennessee, Nelson at Alabama, and Newton at UConn.

That's a good policy for underclassmen. The kid that is going to the highest bidder is just going to hit the portal the next year, and the next, anyways.
If you treat the transfer portal and players leaving like the above then we will never have anything but a bunch of Freshman. I’m not saying to pay or match offers for everyone. For example, I would use my NIL budget on Foster and Proctor over Roach. I would’ve personally loved to keep Mitchell, but I’m assuming that would have lost us a couple incoming guys. Roach will get paid a bunch somewhere else. Same with Mitchell. I’m not matching or spending a bunch of NIL $ on Power, Reeves, Schutt or Blakes (wish he stayed). My assumption is that we had to prioritize money and minutes between Stewart and Power. Have no problem losing Power to keep Stewart if that’s what is happening.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Between here and Elizabeth King, I don't think I've ever seen the board so despondent. Things are changing too fast, and players are just making instant lateral moves not only with no consequences, but being paid for it. I imagine a Duke 4 or 5 star recruit is a coveted prize. I'm hoping for some good news tomorrow; either Stewart or the Syracuse kid. I'd rather keep Stewart for continuity; but Brown probably helps us more next year.
Devil's Den is suggesting we got Brown; buckle up folks. I'm okay with this if true. Can Jon bring in Brown and Stewart? If so we are loaded up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
Duke can't pay Roach 1.5 mil? The Brotherhood probably is worth a billion. At least.

Last edited:
Nah, It’s not gonna be a long season with that roster. Not with who we know as of this moment is gonna be in Durham. We just need some more players to go with them right now and I’m sure Duke will be adding some more.

Kentucky, Louisville, Arky, etc. have no roster right now. Duke has a large recruiting class and a good back court coming back. (Plus Stewart at least so far) no comparison with the scenarios they’re facing right now versus Duke. Duke is working to shore up a national championship contender. Those schools are working to be able to field a team.
Yep. The core Duke has is a great place to be. Plus they will get players to fill gaps. Duke will always have a top roster at the end of the day. It may not be the one we expected given free agency but they will fill spots with top notch players. Then after that it is all about how it meshes

The crazy thing about NIL is a couple things
1. For the university aspect, I'm only throwing big numbers out to players who are proven, and have shown they can be Major assets to my program (Shannon Jr from Illinois, Nelson from Alabama examples)... Not large money for Names and or Freshman who haven't shown anything besides high-school... not saying they don't deserve monet, but not HIGHEST BIDDING MONEY

2. For the player aspect, seeking Highest bidding money just to get the money and still be in a "I could potentially not play" situation is very foolish. I only chase the NIL money if I'm going to a mediocre team or lesser competition and I'm going to FOR SURE be the man and get major PT and accolades... you aren't going to be top dog. Especially if your work ethic isn't up to level. You will be in the portal the following year.

3. Lastly look at this year's freshman class, that should let you know that paying kids doesn't always pan out... Bradshaw, Wagner Jr, Power and MANY others all were Top recruits who honestly didn't make it seem like that was what they were, top talents. All in the Portal. And you gonna pay them... just all in all strange situations.

Duke will be find!! Word on the street this group didn’t work hard. That only 2-3 guys put in that extra work doing the year to help improve your game! My take is the coaches told these guys it might be better if you found somewhere else to play! Duke needs some dogs! Flagg a dog, Evans a dog, Mal is intimidated, Proctor a dog he the only one I saw talk shit on the court, Stewart a dog and Foster has some dog in him now get 3 older transfers Duke will be a top 3 team next year!

Timo and Pisgah ^ think we found a troll

So much for getting older and shying away from one and dones like was mentioned by the coach. Don’t care what kind of recruiting class we have coming in. This is disturbing. We all know some of those freshmen will not meet expectations just like every year and of course the dreaded ankle/foot fracture we seemingly get haunted by what seems to be every year as well. And now you have one returning forward who may transfer if you go after another forward in the portal and two good choices at PG. No we are not fine, and no recruiting class no matter how highly rated they are can match experience and physicality of 3-4 year players.

I don’t know about anyone else, but this just isn’t fun to watch anymore. And hasn’t been for a few years now. I have no problem with the players getting paid but the portal has absolutely ruined college sports for the fans.

Reactions: christophero
I can not blame any kid for trying to go to any school to better themselves financially. As much as I like Duke, I would tell my son to do the same. Unless you are so well off that half a million to million dollars is not much money, these kids will be chasing nil. If there is anyone to blame for today’s collegiate landscape, it is the ncaa and it’s inability to be proactive.

Also, if we do not have the fruit basket turnover in which we have had since the one and done started, we are not relevant every single year. Again, blame ncaa. Duke has just adjusted to the rules to give us quality teams to watch every year.

It’s time for the NCAA to step in and sign mens college basketball over to the NBA . Either that or go ahead and make NIL a contract . They want to get paid , fine with me but make them sign a two year contract and be done with it . It’s a joke . Anyone who thinks these are seriously student athletes anymore are plumb crazy .
The NCAA did not know how to juggle the NIL and Portal. I'm praying they meet soon to figure out how to balance the two. It's just Free Agency in College Basketball.

Reactions: DBM0828
Going forward as a coach... I'm seeking and recruiting HUNGRY 3 stars and 2 stars. I want someone who is willing to put in work. I'm hiring a psychologist to do mental profiles of each player to determine if they are mental strong and tough enough to get better... SO many of these kids now are so weak minded, and want instant gratification. Do they not know, the next school has someone/multiple players in your position and NONE of these schools are BUILDING THEIR ROSTER AROUND YOU... You will be a PIECE TO THE PUZZLE, as you were at your previous school... this Power transfer is Mind blowing... (Reeves, Blakes, Schutt I 1000% understand their decisions) (Roach and Mitchell I 80% understand theirs) (Power 0%, mind blowing. Put in some work, earn PT, YOU WERE A FRESHMAN, GOING into your sophomore year, make a role for yourself)... Kids are on the mentally soft side now, with made decision making abilities.
Power had folks in his hear like anyone else. He has the belief there will be more success elsewhere.

Going forward as a coach... I'm seeking and recruiting HUNGRY 3 stars and 2 stars. I want someone who is willing to put in work. I'm hiring a psychologist to do mental profiles of each player to determine if they are mental strong and tough enough to get better... SO many of these kids now are so weak minded, and want instant gratification. Do they not know, the next school has someone/multiple players in your position and NONE of these schools are BUILDING THEIR ROSTER AROUND YOU... You will be a PIECE TO THE PUZZLE, as you were at your previous school... this Power transfer is Mind blowing... (Reeves, Blakes, Schutt I 1000% understand their decisions) (Roach and Mitchell I 80% understand theirs) (Power 0%, mind blowing. Put in some work, earn PT, YOU WERE A FRESHMAN, GOING into your sophomore year, make a role for yourself)... Kids are on the mentally soft side now, with made decision making abilities.
It's a Mindset! Welcome to 2024!

If you don't want to compete for playing time see you later
Saw this quote from TJ, shortly after he signed with Duke (si.com, 9/7/22):

"People often speculated over the roster at Duke and how it has all this talent and if that would deter me. But for me, it's like, Who do you think I am? I can hoop, too. I can play with these kids, and I don't have to take a backseat to anyone."

Talk is cheap.

Saw this quote from TJ, shortly after he signed with Duke (si.com, 9/7/22):

"People often speculated over the roster at Duke and how it has all this talent and if that would deter me. But for me, it's like, Who do you think I am? I can hoop, too. I can play with these kids, and I don't have to take a backseat to anyone."

Talk is cheap.
He told you then he wasn't going to wait.

I imagine we hear today that Brown is coming and Sean is going based on the rumor mill. I am hoping for both. Is NIL an issue with our guys portaling? Are the new guys making more NIL? Something seems to be up.
Just heard Mitchell to Missouri.

Last edited:
I wish Mark Mitchell the very best of luck. I never questioned his motor, just that his skill came and went.

I would be disappointed if Stewart leaves only because he really loves Duke, but I guess the need to play right away and not fight for PT is the motivating factor. What gets me is, as soon as players get PT and blow up, they are out the door.

Reactions: christophero
I imagine we hear today that Brown is coming and Sean is going based on the rumor mill. I am hoping for both. Is NIL an issue with our guys portaling? Are the new guys making more NIL? Something seems to be up.
Just heard Mitchell to Missouri.
They want to play, the days of roster building and players waiting their turn is absolutely over. If we get the Syracuse kid then Sean will portal 10 minutes later. Same goes for this class, don’t play them and they’ll portal next year

I get it, but this is a post made out of a lot of anger. You can recruit hungry 2 & 3 stars, but if you do that at Duke, you'll find yourself in the unemployment line, and we'll all be chapped as a chicken's ass that the holes are spanking us on a regular basis.

Your point about kids now being weak minded? Maybe there's truth in that, but it's not their fault. It's society, parenting... Most parent according to the times we're in.

Kids are kids and they get away with what is allowed.

Brown and Stewart do seem to play the same position. I think there is room for both, but that is not the world we live in. Our frontcourt sorely needs some experience, but I doubt Sean sees it that way.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I don't pay much attention to other schools, but are other top tier programs seeing 9+ guys leave? Uconn won the title. Are all their players leaving??

It's all about the money in my humble opinion. Does a guy riding the bench for a year at Duke (Power in example) walk into half a million in NIL $ somewhere? Is Roach really getting $1.5M to play a year at Baylor? If they are, can we blame them for playing the system?

I for one think we are going to field a very competitive team next year and will be a NC contender. The thing that bothers me is that college sports are getting worse and worse for the fan. It's a brand new team every year. I used to really enjoy watching players develop over 2, 3, or (gasp) even 4 years. Now we barely get to see guys play before they are gone. Just lousy!

Off the top of my head U Conn has roughly half their rotation back right now. North Carolina had 2 last time I checked. We seem to be more slow and deliberate in the portal, perhaps due to academics.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT