ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Stojakovich from Stanford, 5 star guard is transferring. Would be a soph.
Only position that I could see us going after a portal player is at PG. Would love to see us go after Jakobi Gillespie out of Belmont. He could help with two major areas that we will be losing a lot of depth at. A ball handler and a stone cold 3 pt shooter.

Stojakvich is more of a SF than SG and we are already loaded at both positions. Think you lose at least two incoming Freshman if you bring him in. It could be worth it in the short term but think it hurts us long term.

Reactions: christophero
It depends on who comes back. You could make a case for all of our guards staying or leaving. If only Foster returns we need another ball handler

Reactions: youngman42
It depends on who comes back. You could make a case for all of our guards staying or leaving. Can Evans play the 2? The Wisconsin kid is good but looks a little slow. More of a small forward.

I'm on the side I want Mark back so no need to convince me. Others do not, but I'd gladly take a junior Mitchell.
Give me Mitchell at Sf and the rest coming in as back ups or move two to sg . That only leaves a portal pg or another player returning .

Reactions: dukecorey
Give me Mitchell at Sf and the rest coming in as back ups or move two to sg . That only leaves a portal pg or another player returning .
I think Foster back at PG and Mark somewhere in the starting five is ideal. Cooper and Khaman are for sure starters and I think Duke will have a hard time justifying keeping Evans out of the starting line up.

I'm really high on Evans.

I really want two experienced guards next year so we need 2 of the 4 to come back. The irony is the better they perform in the Tournament, the more likely they leave. One more strong game from Proctor and I think he's in the first round and gone. McCain cemented his first round status on Sunday. Of course all of this may have been decided weeks ago; or it all depends on NIL money, who knows.

I think the culture that's been created at Duke is some of the problem. I realize there's no perfect answer, but if you look at who we have coming in next season, either a kid or two coming in, or a returning guy or two, will get left out. There's not enough minutes to go around.

And this happens more than just one season.

How is there no reason to return?
You can't guarantee Mark he's playing the SF. Cooper is a SF. The other recruits are Wings. TJ is a SF. He will be forced to play the PF again.

Duke made a conscious decision to sit Reeves and rotate Flip and Young at the Center.

Reactions: youngman42
Mitchell is a 5 star and 2 year starter. Not sure anyone but Cooper would start ahead of him. If guys commit so be it

So we can say Schutt is gone or red shirting and none of the players Scheyer recruited can play the sg ?
I'm putting Evans at SG... dude can score, definitely isn't scared of anything, plus it give more size on the court. He's thin so that allows for more beef in the interior. Won't put any rotation in a liability situation... but all that depends on returning players. Harris can ball too, but they are incoming freshman and I don't want to jump the gun too soon... good to have developmental options.

Vernon Carey's brother from JMU is in the portal too.. And yes I know we don't need any more forwards lol

On a side note, Cal is staying at Kentucky

Last edited:
I think the culture that's been created at Duke is some of the problem. I realize there's no perfect answer, but if you look at who we have coming in next season, either a kid or two coming in, or a returning guy or two, will get left out. There's not enough minutes to go around.

And this happens more than just one season.
Don’t think that’s a culture problem. Not having enough minutes is a problem that just about every major program faces. If your school is consistently having multiple players drafted after the Freshman and Sophomore seasons then you’re going to bring in HS recruits & portal players to fill those holes. In most cases, you will probably bring in two guys to fill the spot of one of your stars because they aren’t going to always hit no matter how good they’re in HS or at another college.

IMO, our culture is much better than alot of schools that push kids out after one or two years to make room for a new transfer. Scheyer at least allows guys that may have been busts thus far stay at Duke where they can continue to get a top notch education and a shot to contribute to the team.

Reactions: Jjallen
Don’t think that’s a culture problem. Not having enough minutes is a problem that just about every major program faces. If your school is consistently having multiple players drafted after the Freshman and Sophomore seasons then you’re going to bring in HS recruits & portal players to fill those holes. In most cases, you will probably bring in two guys to fill the spot of one of your stars because they aren’t going to always hit no matter how good they’re in HS or at another college.

IMO, our culture is much better than alot of schools that push kids out after one or two years to make room for a new transfer. Scheyer at least allows guys that may have been busts thus far stay at Duke where they can continue to get a top notch education and a shot to contribute to the team.
This team had four (which is high) starters come back. We aren't used to that. So when I say the culture at Duke needs to be changed, that's what I hope to see improve, good experienced players to blend with the recruits.

Not a mass exodus every season, with the recruits coming in being the only talent, even though they're unproven.

Christian Reeves is transferring. Just announced.

Last edited:
I think we need at least two in the portal:

1) A pure 4 with game (someone in the 6'7-6'9 range who is physical and can rebound, akin to what Harrison Ingram brought to UNC last year). He can rotate with the young big men. We have to have physicality to handle these 3-4-5 year players that teams throw at us - especially in the tourney.

And
2) we need shooters. I'm not impressed with our two high rated freshmen as far as shooting. Adding at least one quality 3 point shooter - say a combo guard who can hit 38-42% consistently and be a threat will be big. Even if we retain Proctor and Foster, we still need a veteran who can shoot and play ball (not just a scared freshman off the bench). I don't expect a Knecht-level talent, but someone with that kind of makeup.

Shocking, lol. Good luck to Reeves
Probably a step slow for the big time, could be effective at a small school if he gets healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT