ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

You are so right Irish. I thought after the miraculous comeback at L'ville we were on our way,
and a final four shoo- in. I really thought we would ultimately cut 'em down. Not to be, and you make a good case why we didn't. OFC

Winston took it to Duke’s defense in that game, not Tre’s best defense in that game. Izzo had a good game plan.

Yes, Winston got away with some push offs in that game, but he used his experience to lead MSU to victory. I was glad to see Tre get his revenge on Winston & MSU in the 2019 ACC/Big 10 challenge.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Winston took it to Duke’s defense in that game, not Tre’s best defense in that game. Izzo had a good game plan.

Yes, Winston got away with some push offs in that game, but he used his experience to lead MSU to victory. I was glad to see Tre get his revenge on Winston & MSU in the 2019 ACC/Big 10 challenge.
12 turnovers between Zion & RJ didn't help.

12 turnovers between Zion & RJ didn't help.
You both make sound points. We had a little inner turmoil we didn't need the same fateful weekend as well.

Cam's sudden pull out (injury), moments before tip-off of the VA TECH game certainly shook up K. We were fortunate to slip by the Hokies. Coach refused to start him vs Sparty, but subbed him in three minutes after tip- off.

Speaking of "slip-by," we played with fire the first weekend. Coach Johnny Dawkins, his son and a determined UCF team really deserved to defeat us in the round of 32.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Yeah that hurts. But I place more on Cam. He laid down on the team against VT, and got a chance to redeem himself against Michigan St, yet only scored 8 while playing 37 minutes. Needed more out of him.
Mac exactly, you beat me to it!! Good call! OFC

RJ averaged 22.6 ppg on 18.5 shots per game.
Zion averaged 22.6 ppg on an astounding 13.2 shots per game!
I feel like we knew who our 2 best players were and ran the offense through them, constantly, to the point where in March teams knew exactly what we were going to do.
For comparisons sake, Paolo Banchero averaged 13.2 shots per game, same as Zion.

My gripe is not getting the ball to Zion at the end of close games. Gonzaga in Maui, RJ got blocked on the game winner. And then of course the MSU tournament game where they were TWO-HAND holding Zion the final 6 minutes of the game and he had zero shot attempts.

But ultimately that team peaked too early due to Cam not being the 3rd superstar that we needed and none of our developmental bench guys giving much of anything (Jack, AOC, Javin). One of those two things happen and I think we would have been too overwhelming for anyone in March.

RJ averaged 22.6 ppg on 18.5 shots per game.
Zion averaged 22.6 ppg on an astounding 13.2 shots per game!
I feel like we knew who our 2 best players were and ran the offense through them, constantly, to the point where in March teams knew exactly what we were going to do.
For comparisons sake, Paolo Banchero averaged 13.2 shots per game, same as Zion.

My gripe is not getting the ball to Zion at the end of close games. Gonzaga in Maui, RJ got blocked on the game winner. And then of course the MSU tournament game where they were TWO-HAND holding Zion the final 6 minutes of the game and he had zero shot attempts.

But ultimately that team peaked too early due to Cam not being the 3rd superstar that we needed and none of our developmental bench guys giving much of anything (Jack, AOC, Javin). One of those two things happen and I think we would have been too overwhelming for anyone in March.
Dan the shot attempts you duly noted by RJ and Zion were part of the problem. Zion should have had the 18 attempts (at minimum) per game.

Yes, Cam should have been a bigger part of the offense. The other three you mentioned weren't real contributors. If one could have really come forth, it would have been impactful.
OFC

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Dan the shot attempts you duly noted by RJ and Zion were part of the problem. Zion should have had the 18 attempts (at minimum) per game.

Yes, Cam should have been a bigger part of the offense. The other three you mentioned weren't real contributors. If one could have really come forth, it would have been impactful.
OFC
I agree that Zion should have shot even more, especially considering he shot 68% from the floor. That is insane. RJ played 35 mpg to Zion’s 30 mpg, so that is part of the reason.

I do think in basketball it’s harder for big guys like Zion to get more shots than a shooting guard like RJ, the game flow generally lends itself to the ball finding the hands of a guard more often than not. But at the end of close games, especially in March, it needed to be Zion, Zion, and more Zion.

I agree that Zion should have shot even more, especially considering he shot 68% from the floor. That is insane. RJ played 35 mpg to Zion’s 30 mpg, so that is part of the reason.

I do think in basketball it’s harder for big guys like Zion to get more shots than a shooting guard like RJ, the game flow generally lends itself to the ball finding the hands of a guard more often than not. But at the end of close games, especially in March, it needed to be Zion, Zion, and more Zion.
Amen!! OFC

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
We also could have used more out of Bolden Zion's year. Think he went pro after that year. Yikes just read Kentucky's incoming top 5 center recruit Bradshaw broke his foot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession3
Sorry to hear it for young man, but didn't think anyone but us had foot injuries! OFC
Yes. NEVER wish injury on anyone and he has plenty of time to heal since it's only June. However, Kentucky is in big trouble. I wish we played them rather than MSU in champ classic cause we would wax that ass for a 3rd straight time.

Cannot stand a single thing about Kentucky and that backwoods fan base.

We also could have used more out of Bolden Zion's year. Think he went pro after that year. Yikes just read Kentucky's incoming top 5 center recruit Bradshaw broke his foot.

Witnesses say Kentucky fans in Lexington have taken Calipari from his home and are carrying him to the town square to throw tomatoes at him as we speak!! Kentucky fans will also be marrying their cousins after the last tomato has been thrown!

I certainly don't wish injury on any player. But given all the injury crap that we've dealt with over the years, and the promising seasons we've had that were derailed, or at least significantly impacted, because of them...

I have no empathy whatsoever for other teams dealing with injuries. May sound harsh but it's the truth.

This is when Cal goes out to get Jordan Brown. Makes a few promises and waves the NIL bag in his face. UK has a redshirt freshman center. Jordan will be the PF with a bunch of young guys to lead.

Chris Ledlam from Tenn back in portal. 6-6 transfer from Harvard.

Last edited:
Chris Ledlam from Tenn back in portal. 6-6 transfer from Harvard.
I’ve heard he’s going to St John’s. Mommas boy that wants to be close to home. Came out of nowhere according to Tennessee folks. He was all good and going full tilt at practice Tuesday and then dropped this news with no notice. Think it got put on Twitter before he even spoke to Barnes.

Reactions: christophero
I’ve heard he’s going to St John’s. Mommas boy that wants to be close to home. Came out of nowhere according to Tennessee folks. He was all good and going full tilt at practice Tuesday and then dropped this news with no notice. Think it got put on Twitter before he even spoke to Barnes.
Also imagine Josiah James coming back vs going pro had some effect. He came back to UT and wasn’t on a scholarship, as Barnes had already filled all his scholarships up. Happy for JJJ that he’s back on scholarship. He took a big risk because he could’ve gotten paid (along with a full scholarship) to a lot of places but turned it down because he wanted to finish at UT. Class act.

Pitino did really well in the portal for St. John's. Adding Ledlam would be big, he's a solid wing.

Many college athletes in many sports at many schools transfer back home to be closer to family, Calling them "mommas boys" doesn't seem especially productive.

All of this UT and Petino info is really interesting...not. Waste of space. Do not care how ut and St. Johns' recruiting is going. Put that crap on their sites where someone really cares about it. OFC
If your posts involved a player Duke had shown inyerest in, I would not complain about a post for the sake of posting. As long as you continue to post stuff unrelated to the purposes of this board, I will continue to call you out on it. And if you explain how a post is relevant, I will apologize for calling you out. Has not happened so far.

OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
I am interested in what other teams do, as we could have to play them. Unless you are a mod it is not your job to tell me not to talk about a transfer in the transfer thread. You seem oddly triggered by this. Others have expressed interest too.

There's lots of stuff posted here that doesn't interest me. I can skip them. As long as they aren't obscene or offensive, I have no problem picking what's interesting to me.

But I'm not a moderator nor wants to be so I don't know what the Rival rules are.

Many college athletes in many sports at many schools transfer back home to be closer to family, Calling them "mommas boys" doesn't seem especially productive.
It’s actually true, but even if he wasn’t extremely close with his mom and just very homesick in just 2 months away from home, I would call him a Momma’s Boy. I equate having to dip out after 2 months with no notice to the staff as being homesick. Homesick & momma’s boy are the same thing to me. I was a momma’s boy and don’t see it as taking a shot at a kid.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I am interested in what other teams do, as we could have to play them. Unless you are a mod it is not your job to tell me not to talk about a transfer in the transfer thread. You seem oddly triggered by this. Others have expressed interest too.
If @Devilinside has a problem with the Ledlum and UT info then run your mouth at me, not Chris. He was just responding to my posts. Now go away.

If @Devilinside has a problem with the Ledlum and UT info then run your mouth at me, not Chris. He was just responding to my posts. Now go away.
You are a little late, my friend. Already posted my apology to Chris. Too bad you did not read it before posting. So it seems you got all uppity for no reason. Just calm down, and everything will be just fine. OFC

Mommas boy is offensive? 😳. Last time I checked it was a description of one who is close with their mother, and tends to be pretty common when said male doesn’t have a father in their life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT