ADVERTISEMENT

Story on Trevor Keels/final scholarship

And Walker Kessler and Garrison Brooks and Sterling Manley and Andrew Platek and, well you get my drift.
3 out of those 4 were 4th yr seniors when they left..if not for COVID and injuries (Manley) they wouldn’t have been eligible anyway! Walton was never gonna play here on a successful team! Great shooter that we had to have his freshman year but he is awful on defense! Hubert tried to give him playing time but it just didn’t workout!now with Harris, y’all have an argument! He was getting legit playing time before the suspension! He wouldn’t start over Love next year, so that’s a good argument! Imo Roy didn’t use Kessler right and his parents wanted him elsewhere!

from a cbssports.com article

Trevor Keels (Duke)​

This feels like one of the truly tough stay-or-go decisions in this cycle and reminds me a bit of past decisions like from Isaiah Joe in 2020, Johnny Juzang in 2021 and EJ Liddell in 2021. There's not a clearly obvious and right answer here. If Keels isn't a first-rounder, he'll be top of the 30s and likely walking into a guaranteed contract. That's very appealing. That's also just in the range where I think you have to at least consider coming back to school.

Liddell's path may be one Keels can walk -- he ultimately returned to college, transformed his body and worked his way into becoming a likely top-20 pick after projecting as a late first or early second rounder -- but there's no guarantee here he'd improve his stock with another season (even if I think that's likely the best option). Juzang's path, for instance, is a different but similar decision from a year ago that may serve as a cautionary tale. He may have been a late first or early second round pick a year ago and is almost certainly in the early-to-mid second round range this time around. His stock didn't dip, necessarily, but another year in college didn't improve his stock. In retrospect, he may have been better served riding the high of his red-hot Final Four run to the NBA.

With Keels, my sense is that he is more likely to leave school than not. But my read on his draft prospects is that he'd benefit more by another year in college and potentially reap significant financial benefits in doing so, presuming good health. He's still only 18 years old, could spend one more season at Duke in a more prominent role, and in doing so could really showcase -- consistently -- what he can do at the college level while proving to NBA teams his real value. I'm certainly in no position to tell an 18-year-old what he should do, particularly with so much money at stake, but in a blueblood program like Duke he would be positioned well to supplement any lost income from postponing his NBA career with lucrative money on NIL deals, one would think. There's probably no right decision, but he stands to gain more in returning to school than in staying in the draft. -- Kyle Boone

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT