ADVERTISEMENT

So what do you think of the NBA right now?

You know of a bigger market in the country of Canada than Toronto?
Metropolitan Toronto has population of over 6 million,it's far from a small market.J.Will,remember in a previous post we discussed Kawhi and the chances of him resigning with the Raptors? He just purchased a 13.5 million dollar house in southern California,IMO that kind of tells me where he wants to be next year.

Reactions: jwill133
Metropolitan Toronto has population of over 6 million,it's far from a small market.J.Will,remember in a previous post we discussed Kawhi and the chances of him resigning with the Raptors? He just purchased a 13.5 million dollar house in southern California,IMO that kind of tells me where he wants to be next year.

Having been to Charlotte and Toronto.... Toronto is HUGE. Great town also. Driving is something awful though.

Michelle Beatle juice likes the NBA so I hate it. Just for that reason. It gets her jolly’s off talking about it. Makes me want to puke. Id say she shags a lot. She looks like a beat up hoe. Oh and she acts like somebody that had their head banged against the head board to many times. Did I just say that out loud?

Wasn't she the one that said somebody ought to punch Grayson Allen in the face? Really how can anyone take a reporter male or female that would say something like that seriously. I have no respect for someone like that. OFC

Last edited:
Underpaid, really?

I think he’s saying in relative terms. Obviously someone making that kind of money is hardly underpaid. But, with the new TV deal and popularity of the NBA right now, you could say in relative terms, that many superstars are ‘underpaid’....it sounds weird, I know.

All that said, I’m glad the NBA is setup the way it is. If it weren’t, it would be traveling down the road of MLB baseball.

Reactions: bfort2223
I think they are all highly overpaid. They make more for one game than the average family makes in a year. And because of that, they charge 6.00 for a hotdog and 8.00 for a beer. Not bragging but I make a very good living and can afford to go no problem, but a family of 4, without one of them making a really good living can't afford that. I think it's ridiculous. And it's the fans fault because we pay for those 6.00 dogs and 5.00 chips. I would love to see fans make a stance and boycott every game, every sport until concessions and tickets are reasonable. I took my wife and her two kids to a Braves game about 5 years ago. I remember distinctly buying 4 hotdogs , 4 bags of chips and 4 cokes and it was 60.00. SIXTY.....for 4 dogs and chips!! That is STUPID. guys making over 100,000.00 for a two hour game and there's some guy sitting there with his kids soending two days of his pay. I get that if the players aren't getting the money, then the owners are, but it just shouldn't cost people that much to go to a ballgame. I know others won't have this same opinion, but I think it's insane.

I think they are all highly overpaid. They make more for one game than the average family makes in a year. And because of that, they charge 6.00 for a hotdog and 8.00 for a beer. Not bragging but I make a very good living and can afford to go no problem, but a family of 4, without one of them making a really good living can't afford that. I think it's ridiculous. And it's the fans fault because we pay for those 6.00 dogs and 5.00 chips. I would love to see fans make a stance and boycott every game, every sport until concessions and tickets are reasonable. I took my wife and her two kids to a Braves game about 5 years ago. I remember distinctly buying 4 hotdogs , 4 bags of chips and 4 cokes and it was 60.00. SIXTY.....for 4 dogs and chips!! That is STUPID. guys making over 100,000.00 for a two hour game and there's some guy sitting there with his kids soending two days of his pay. I get that if the players aren't getting the money, then the owners are, but it just shouldn't cost people that much to go to a ballgame. I know others won't have this same opinion, but I think it's insane.
I've told many people the exact same thing. It's crazy to have to pay that kind of money to see a live game.

Toronto is a great market for the NBA. From everything I’ve read about/listened to...NBA guys look at Toronto in a much better way than say 10 years ago, when absolutely nobody would ever sign there.

Toronto’s biggest problem is the weather. The NBA is primarily a winter sport, would anyone rather live in Toronto or LA in January? Also, I’m not a tax guy, but I believe the players pay the most taxes if they play in Toronto.

I do know that Toronto is now liked by a lot of NBA guys, it is a top 5 city for night-life. Extremely diverse which is always a plus, and a lot of people say it is the best NBA food-city.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
I’ll watch a few minutes of NBA games here and there if there’s nothing else on usually playoff games but I really haven’t watched the NBA on a regular basis since the mid to late 90’s when the Bulls dominance ended after Jordan retired and the rest of the team was split up.

Wasn't she the one that somebody ought to punch Grayson Allen in the face? Really how can anyone take a reporter male or female that would say something like that seriously. I have no respect for someone like that. OFC
I like Katie Nolan. She should replace Michelle.

I like that the balance of power is so far in the players' favor in the NBA, compared to every other major team sport. I like that the players are free to speak their minds and that so many of them support equity, justice, and other progressive causes.

Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland, Miami, and Dallas are the last 5 franchises to have won an NBA Championship, aren't they? Golden State plays in the 5th largest metro area in the US, and the others are all smaller.

I prefer the college game. If I were going to criticize the NBA, it wouldn't be this era I'd focus on.

Reactions: jwill133
The NBA is absolutely a players league. The players are the employees and the product, they shpuld have control over things. I do think that rubs people the wrong way for some reason.
It's b/c white owners take their $ and quietly put it into untouchable off-shore accounts, but black players reinvest in impoverished neighborhoods and talk about it, which makes the average person look over their shoulder more.

Underpaid, really?
JJ has a great podcast episode about this. Yes, NBA salaries are exorbitant, but they represent a pretty humble % of the NBA pie. Objecting to the players' push for a larger slice of that pie is the wrong priority.

It's b/c white owners take their $ and quietly put it into untouchable off-shore accounts, but black players reinvest in impoverished neighborhoods and talk about it, which makes the average person look over their shoulder more.

This guy. White men horde their money, black men are saving the world. Okay.

Having been to Charlotte and Toronto.... Toronto is HUGE. Great town also. Driving is something awful though.
Construction,i've been visiting or living in Toronto for the past 60 years,lots of family there,I really cant remember ever going down town when there were not a bunch of roads torn up,or cranes being hoisted ,I suppose it's the same in all large cities.I was living there in 1974-1976 when the C.N.Tower was being built,my apartment was about a qtr mile away,i literally watched it grow every day while waiting for the bus to go to work.

Last edited:
I have very little respect for any professional athlete be it golf, hockey, tennis
DukefanKy i really like your post and thoughts as I feel the same way. By the way the TV announcer just said the Super Bowl price for a hot dog and a soda was 105.00.

I have very little respect for any professional athlete be it golf, hockey, tennis

DukefanKy i really like your post and thoughts as I feel the same way. By the way the TV announcer just said the Super Bowl price for a hot dog and a soda was 105.00.

No way!!! Seriously??
Surely it can't be that much!!!

He said 105.00. Most people in the US dont even make that in a day.

That is insane........oh well, at least all the guys on the field can afford it with no problem!!

I don’t know if it also applies to the Super Bowl, but I do know that at Falcons games (and major college football games) in the new stadium, hot dogs are $2, nachos are $2, and beers are $4.

Falcons also were #1 in NFL concessions revenue.

I just looked up food prices at the Atlanta Super Bowl and it said 4 to 7.00. The announcer must be smocking crack. The internet said Atlanta had the cheapest prices in the NFL and they were charging the same for SB food as regular games.

This guy. White men horde their money, black men are saving the world. Okay.
Not exactly, but that's the angle that rubs so many people the wrong way, which is what I was addressing.

One of our guys here at work went to a Leafs game in Toronto a few weeks ago,paid $15.00 for a beer,and $15.00 for a hot dog,not to mention the couple hundred bucks for nose bleed seats

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve slowly been making the transition to the nba. Now that I know who most of the people actually are, it’s a lot easier to follow and a lot more fun to follow the storylines. I used to hate the fact that they played so often, but now I love it. Most every night there’ll be a game that’s worth watching. Whether it’s because I like the team, or a certain player, or o hate the team and want to watch them lose. Unfortunately I’m slowly but surely leaving be college hame behind. I will always watch every duke game without fail and it’ll always be my number one, but the league is just more fun I’m sorry to say. All of this of course is just my opinion.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve slowly been making the transition to the nba. Now that I know who most of the people actually are, it’s a lot easier to follow and a lot more fun to follow the storylines. I used to hate the fact that they played so often, but now I love it. Most every night there’ll be a game that’s worth watching. Whether it’s because I like the team, or a certain player, or o hate the team and want to watch them lose. Unfortunately I’m slowly but surely leaving be college hame behind. I will always watch every duke game without fail and it’ll always be my number one, but the league is just more fun I’m sorry to say. All of this of course is just my opinion.

Pretty good post. We don’t share all of the same preferences on this matter, but we share most of them....most notably, the story lines. They’re just much, much better.

Reactions: PixelDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT