ADVERTISEMENT

[RUMOR] Scheyer to Pitt...

vcugreg

All Conference
Feb 4, 2011
Just saw this on twitter and taking it with a grain of salt, but thought it was interesting!

Anyone who takes that needs a 6 yr no termination contract. You need at least 4 years to your kids in and 2 more to get the program up and running again.
I agree. I think Scheyer would be better off at a mid major to start with. You get more time to build your program.

Reactions: vcugreg
You can do better young man. Wait for Illinois to come open and go home like Collins did.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if he took Nolan to be an assistant. Who replaces them at Duke? It would be cool to see Nolan and Jon as successful HCs at big name programs in 10 or so years. Imagine the story if they go up against each other in the tournament.

Obviously, this could all just be rumors but man, not sure why anybody would want to fill that position and guarantee yourself playing duke, uva and unc every year. Tough one.

Pitt is a classic example of how a bad hire can set a program back for a while. Never thought Stallings was a big time coach and he certainly proved that

I don't buy this for a second. He has 4 years of being an assistant under his belt and just became a new dad. Wojo and Collins were both assistants for more than a decade each before accepting jobs that made sense. Pitt does not make sense.

Reactions: ioliva and vcugreg
Pittsburgh is a cooler town than many would guess. Relatively cheap to live there too. If, and I mean if he could do reasonably well ther, he would be king for as long as he wanted to stay. He would need someone who could recruit a major area like DC, NYC. Hard, but not impossible.

It wasn't too long ago that Pitt was sporting some really good teams. The right coach and some patience can do a lot for a program.

Scheyer can coming off the curl against GT un the ACC Championship has n 2010= magic. I’m drunk. Tinypalooza 2018 Snellville 2018.
Go easy on those white wine spritzers, ma’am.

Pitt's not the place for him right now. If he were the greatest coach ever it would take him 6 years or more to win there. It took Coach K like 4 or 5 years to win at Duke and he inherited a better program. I think wes miller out of UNC-G would be a good fit because hof coach roy williams would have another buddy like Stallings at Pitt and if Pitt did have some good players that hof coach roy williams needed he could persuade miller to let them transfer to unc. OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
No idea about this, but if a kid can leave for the nba that may not be ready, how do we know how Jon, or anyone else will do as a head coach?
If this is true, Pitt can't do any worse than they have the last few years.
Honestly, if I was Pitt, I'd go after him hard.

An ACC job at his age? I might take the risk. No one is expecting much and you get great exposure and great fans. I just don’t buy it. Jon isn’t ready for that kind of position yet.

Reactions: pisgah101
Pittsburgh is a cooler town than many would guess. Relatively cheap to live there too. If, and I mean if he could do reasonably well ther, he would be king for as long as he wanted to stay. He would need someone who could recruit a major area like DC, NYC. Hard, but not impossible.

The Burgh is a VERY cool town! We go there every year to visit and have a complete blast - so much to do and you’re right the cost of living is incredibly low.

That being said I wouldn’t want the job. The program is in terrible shape in the toughest conference in in the country. The AD seems lost also. I think I’d wait for something better. I don’t think it turns around anytime soon.

Would not like the idea of having to compete against a former Duke player and assistant coach in the same conference.

I don't buy this for a second. He has 4 years of being an assistant under his belt and just became a new dad. Wojo and Collins were both assistants for more than a decade each before accepting jobs that made sense. Pitt does not make sense.

My thoughts as well

500hp good point about the AD. You need a good AD. One of the most important consideration regarding any position.

It's an attractive offer if he gets it. It's also my understanding that he's and excellent recruiter. Could potentially turn things around there.

When Hurley left URI, I thought that Jon would be a good fit there. They have a good team coming back, so the pressure would not be there right away.

Haven't heard Capel's name mentioned for any openings. Did he announce he's not available or do other schools just assume he's waiting to be K's replacement?

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT