ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

Baker isn’t avg 14 ppg at HC as a first or second year player, just not happening. And injury or not, he’s very slow defensively, can’t drive, and his supposed lethal shot was average.
He started driving effectively last season . His issue was he was looking to pass to much instead of catching and shooting . We will see what Grandison can do in the ACC.

Baker isn’t avg 14 ppg at HC as a first or second year player, just not happening. And injury or not, he’s very slow defensively, can’t drive, and his supposed lethal shot was average.
Agree Fourteen, the broadcasters always talked about Baker's solid outside shot. NEVER HAPPENED CONSISTENTLY!!! I will always love Joey, but it just didn't happen for him on the 3 ball. I honestly think in games he thought about it too much, and NEVER had confidence in his shot. OFC

Wow I just read that Grandison is 2 years older than Baker. Love it. He may be older than Theo.

He started driving effectively last season . His issue was he was looking to pass to much instead of catching and shooting . We will see what Grandison can do in the ACC.
That’s great my man but grandison is a much better player than Joey, then and now. I wish Joey the best but he’s not a high-level D1 player so far…..

That’s great my man but grandison is a much better player than Joey, then and now. I wish Joey the best but he’s not a high-level D1 player so far…..
We can agree with the ,” so far!” I won’t argue that he hasn’t shown it but I also think he wasn’t exactly thought to be anything more then a shooter given who was in front of him at Duke and also his senior year he started with a nagging ankle injury then had hip issues .
In his last year at Illinois he scored twenty in three or four games his rest were sub par .
but Baker graduated from Duke so he’ll always be a Bluedevil

We can agree with the ,” so far!” I won’t argue that he hasn’t shown it but I also think he wasn’t exactly thought to be anything more then a shooter given who was in front of him at Duke and also his senior year he started with a nagging ankle injury then had hip issues .
In his last year at Illinois he scored twenty in three or four games his rest were sub par .
but Baker graduated from Duke so he’ll always be a Bluedevil
I do wish Joey the best, what a good kid and true student-athlete.

Also, you keep citing issues for Joey but grandison started the season with a tweaked shoulder that got worse in a second injury late in the year. Just a heads up.

I do wish Joey the best, what a good kid and true student-athlete.

Also, you keep citing issues for Joey but grandison started the season with a tweaked shoulder that got worse in a second injury late in the year. Just a heads up.
Saw that but his highest scoring games of twenty were at the beginning I think two and one middle and I think on his conference tourney . I site issue for Joey because you said the same about Grandison . My point is his junior and senior year was 9 points that’s all , three rebounds, and I think three assist while he showed more floor time then Joey he still had a lot of games with 0-6 points. I’ll let it go now .

Saw that but his highest scoring games of twenty were at the beginning I think two and one middle and I think on his conference tourney . I site issue for Joey because you said the same about Grandison . My point is his junior and senior year was 9 points that’s all , three rebounds, and I think three assist while he showed more floor time then Joey he still had a lot of games with 0-6 points. I’ll let it go now .
Lol please do. These two players aren’t comparable IMO 😂

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
No denying getting Grandison is a good thing. We are much more versatile than we were a week ago. If Proctor is a day one stud great. If not, Grandison can start. I think JG needs to start early on to give us some experience. Add Mitchell that is a very good top 7. Then we have Young and Schutt. And Blakes and Catchings are capable role players. Pretty excited about our team. We can go 2 deep at every position now. Even if God forbid Roach was out we could still go with Proctor/Grandison.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Really nice summary of next year's team Chris! Agree, I would like to see Grandison starting (AT LEAST EARLY)for the EXPERIENCE FACTOR. It gives us a very OLD BACKCOURT, rather than starting Jeremy and the kiddie corps. (4 freshmen)OFC

There is no doubt in my mind Grandison will start. Don't know which position but he brings too much all around skill and experience not to start.

I'm not sold on Lively despite his high ranking (what I've seen he stands around a lot and he's so skinny), and I don't know how Mitchell will adjust to college ball with guys as big as him or bigger. Having Grandison and Young gives Duke experienced players while the younger guys make the adjustment.

K. Worthington is transferring now. Little surprising but he probably was not in the rotation. Probably looking to actually get minutes somewhere else, small school or mid major. Best of luck to him

Reactions: geddoughton23
K. Worthington is transferring now. Little surprising but he probably was not in the rotation. Probably looking to actually get minutes somewhere else, small school or mid major. Best of luck to him
Wow , how does two walk ons transfer lol

Worthington wasn't cracking the rotation unless we had 9 injuries. Still nice to have upperclassman who know the drill.

Joey needs to make shots when it counts to see the court there. I hope he does. He will certainly have less competition on the wing there. I think maybe Jon had an honest talk with him and both agreed to move on. He did show some signs of improvement this year but then regressed. You'd figure he'd want a fresh start with Jon. We will never know the full story. I'm grateful Joey gave us 4 years but am happy with Grandison. Getting a player with even more experience, and who will be on the court much more, should really help our team.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
Joey needs to make shots when it counts to see the court there. I hope he does. He will certainly have less competition on the wing there. I think maybe Jon had an honest talk with him and both agreed to move on. He did show some signs of improvement this year but then regressed. You'd figure he'd want a fresh start with Jon. We will never know the full story. I'm grateful Joey gave us 4 years but am happy with Grandison. Getting a player with even more experience, and who will be on the court much more, should really help our team.
I’m always going to differ here. Joey was only ever going to be a situational player at Duke. He stayed at Duke to long . I really believe it was the recruitment of Green and other sg’s along with Proctor reclassing that final made Joey realize it was time to move on for himself . Don’t really think it was a bigger talk between him and Jon outside of ,” you have to do what you feel is best for you !”
Funniest thing. The only recruits remaining on the team from K’s time as head coach is Roach( only player to have meaningful minutes), Blake’s(Barely saw the floor but recruited and highly thought of by Jon) and a seven footer who played in two scrimmages only . If ever was a time to say it’s ,” Your Team!” It’s surely simply Jon’s team .

It's difficult to see Blakes seeing the floor much this year, highly thought of by Jon or not. Jon got Proctor to reclass and recruited Grandison. Both will be well ahead of Blakes in the rotation. Blakes will need to beat out Schutt for any remaining minutes. Blakes hardly played at all the second semester, even when we had injuries, and looked a bit overmatched when he saw the floor the first semester. Here's hoping he makes a big leap. What I saw of Blakes he looked far behind even Goldwire as a freshman, but he may just need to adjust to the competition. He does have a year in the program but I just have a feeling Schutt will be ahead of him. Maybe Jon plays 10 guys. Fingers crossed, I like Blakes and would love to see him get 5mpg.

Last edited:
It's difficult to see Blakes seeing the floor much this year, highly thought of by Jon or not. Jon got Proctor to reclass and recruited Grandison. Both will be well ahead of Blakes in the rotation. Blakes will need to beat out Schutt for any remaining minutes. Blakes hardly played at all the second semester, even when we had injuries, and looked a bit overmatched when he saw the floor the first semester. Here's hoping he makes a big leap. What I saw of Blakes he looked far behind even Goldwire as a freshman, but he may just need to adjust to the competition. He does have a year in the program but I just have a feeling Schutt will be ahead of him.
And that should answer any questions about who enters the portal first next year . He won’t play the year after either with Foster and McCain coming in with a possible Roach and Schutts returning .
Just for giggles . Goldwire was once thought of as nothing more then a practice player for Duval. Stayed four years graduated then started at Oklahoma. That’s not a bad college career.

Reactions: christophero
Goldwire impressed me as a freshman. That was not a put down. He made some big plays against Michigan State.

Goldwire impressed me as a freshman. That was not a put down. He made some big plays against Michigan State.
Yet he was thought of as only a practice player. He made his own way onto the floor. Didn’t see much time as a freshman at all.
I’ll leave this discussion at this until the season. For everyone that complains about the mass exudes from Duke after every season , if it be via the league or the portal. Point blank of you don’t play players it’s only going to get worse. Kids no longer have to sit out once they transfer . We just saw two walk ins transfer( if it’s even considered a transfer but then again they got scholarships). Duke will remain young until they learn to developer their bench . I watched Coleman this season . Had he got half a chance at Duke I don’t think he leaves but his fresh start showed he could play and at a high level . Jon has to figure that out because every college team will start looking where to get NIL money from and five stars and four stars will go where it’s highest for their profile .

Coleman was playing decent minutes down the stretch for us. Guys just don't want to come off the bench. Brakefield played a fair amount his first year, but seemed to be in the doghouse at the end of the season. We've become viewed as a program that favors its one and dones. That's why guys don't stay. Jon convinced Grandison to come, after hearing that good transfers won't come here. It can be done. Playing more guys will help. In theory, we could have Roach, Blakes, Proctor, Schutt, Mitchell, Flip and Young back next year. But it's Duke, so probably just Blakes, Schutt and Young. Assuming none of the guards transfer.

Last edited:
Coleman was playing decent minutes down the stretch for us. Guys just don't want to come off the bench. Brakefield played a fair amount his first year, but seemed to be in the doghouse at the end of the season. We've become viewed as a program that favors its one and dones. That's why guys don't stay. Jon convinced Grandison to come, after hearing that good transfers won't come here. It can be done.
No Coleman left because he got spare minutes. His minutes at the end of the season showed him he should have got more and he believed it and went and got more . Not at a smaller school either. Brakesfield needed a year to mature he was given more opportunity then Coleman but never excelled big difference. Grandison came because his only competition was a Freshman 3/4 star sg in Schutts and Proctor can play as a combo so he’s going to get minutes at one or the other position. You always take out insurance.
Grandison averaged nine points he’s a decent transfer . He’s not green but serviceable when your other options at sg are basically all freshman ( Blake’s barely played he’s no threat until he becomes one in a game atmosphere). He has no real competition. But I want to see how he reacts should proctor take his starting spot .

He didn't always start at Illinois so I'm sure he will be fine. The Illinois fans seem to really like Grandison, they describe him as a team first glue guy. (I know that's ironic since he transferred, but he prob. had a better chance at starting for Duke after Keels left)

He didn't always start at Illinois so I'm sure he will be fine. The Illinois fans seem to really like Grandison, they describe him as a team first glue guy. (I know that's ironic since he transferred, but he prob. had a better chance at starting for Duke after Keels left)
I had a better chance at starting for us if I averaged nine points, three rebounds and two assist at sg then two unknown freshman and and un proven player just saying . Good convo though chris the board is dead lol

Reactions: christophero
We could play a bunch of guys and Blakes still may not play.

It seems pretty likely these guys will play - Roach, Proctor, Grandison, Whitehead, Mitchell, Filipowski, Lively, and Young. That leaves Catchings, Schutt, Reeves, and Blakes.

If we go ten deep (which would be crazy for us), there will still be two of those last four who don't play. If Reeves redshirts, that leaves three. My guess is that Catchings would be the first of those to see minutes, and I actually think Schutt would be next for his shooting. Adding Proctor really made it unlikely for Blakes to see much time, with Tyrese and Jeremy splitting time at the 1.

Catchings and Schutt are the wildcards. Catchings is a senior and physically mature, and Schutt is young, a good shooter but may be a year away. My guess is the 3 off the bench are Mitchell, Proctor and Young. One or two more guys situationally. Reeves will likely redshirt unless we have an injury or two. I like our depth. If Grandison balls out that may squeeze out Catchings. But I love that we now have 2 athletic senior wings, and I think Kale will contribute at some point.

Last edited:
Catchings and Schutt are the wildcards. Catchings is a senior and physically mature, and Schutt is young, a good shooter but may be a year away. My guess is the 3 off the bench are Mitchell, Proctor and Young. One or two more guys situationally. Reeves will likely redshirt unless we have an injury or two. I like our depth. If Grandison balls out that may squeeze out Catchings. But I love that we now have 2 athletic senior wings, and I think Kale will contribute at some point.
Who’s the two athletic wings? Grandison and Whitehead? Jon needs to play traditional basketball his first season he has the pieces to .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT