ADVERTISEMENT

Next Duke Coach?

You'd leave KU, IU, UCLA, UL off that list?

Has K 99.9% put to rest fear of the restrictions an elite academic, private school poses?
no those are the very next ones to me I was just shortening it up lol but yeah those too

Reactions: Dattier
Brad Stevens is the only home run. He actually knows how to coach.
Stevens is great! He is a master in game coach and gets a lot out of his players. He is a young Gregg Popovich IMO. Slightly less irritable too. : ) If I had a choice of any coach in the game right now to build with, Stevens is the guy i go with. I hope he never leaves Boston though, even if he was asked by Duke to coach there.

I'd have to say my money is on Capel, with a hefty side bet on Jon Scheyer.

Last edited:
Capel, but how's this for a darkhorse...
LeVelle Moton, NCCU's coach, just named to the USA Basketball staff for the U-19 team.

Moton is a damn good coach and will find himself tripping over offers from mid to high major D1 programs within 3 years.

My sources say capel will be the guy
Not a coincidence that he has turned down other offers to stay.

I say K stays thru the Olymoic cycle
Retires after that
Jeff takes over

I want the last thing K coaches to be Duke. That means at least 2 more seasons, but no more than 5, since I don't see him dropping either the Olympics or Duke until he's completely done.

But okay, if he wants to coach through 2024, then coach the Olympics and retire before the '24-'25 season, I guess that'd be pretty cool.

Reactions: pisgah101
My gut tells me that John Scheyer has the make to be a great coach. The way he handled the game as a player and watching him on the side lines now. It sounds like he has already become an influential recruiter. He is still really young. K still has a number of years left in the tank. There is still a lot that can change in that time.

I just can't see anyone that doesn't have ties with Duke being the next coach. I definitely think we stay in house and it will be Capel that gets the keys.

No one lives forever, but with advances in modern science and his high level income, it's not crazy to think that K could live to be 245, maybe 300.

I say this with all due respect, but your opinion means about as much as a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.

Reactions: hoosurdukie
We all know the next Duke coach is going to come from within the Duke family. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. And right now I think it's clearing being groomed for Jeff Capel.

I agree 110%. However, I also think there isn't one person here who would argue that Brad Stevens would NOT be the best hire in comparison to anyone from with in. If there is such a person I would love to hear their thoughts even if it's nothing more than Devils advocate. Just because we know it will be from with in doesn't mean we can't discuss whether or not that decision is the BEST decision.

I would love to see Brad Stevens as coach after K hangs it up. But realistically what are the chances that he would leave the Celtics to come to Duke?

I agree 110%. However, I also think there isn't one person here who would argue that Brad Stevens would NOT be the best hire in comparison to anyone from with in. If there is such a person I would love to hear their thoughts even if it's nothing more than Devils advocate. Just because we know it will be from with in doesn't mean we can't discuss whether or not that decision is the BEST decision.

Well, you start. Why do you feel Stevens would be the best choice?

Personally Brad Stevens is the only outside choice id be ok with at this point unless White were to blow up at Florida. Otherwise I want Capel

Well, you start. Why do you feel Stevens would be the best choice?

Wow where to begin, okay

1. Butler is a private university. That experience matters when talking about the likelihood of being able to fit in to the environment that is Duke.

2. He's young, handsome and charismatic. He's a homerun just from the aesthetics and marketability. He has a welcoming aura that I believe would instantly bode well with parents, coaches and mentors who have a lot of say so.

Now that the BS is out of the way lets get to the nitty gritty.

3. 166-49 at Butler making the NCAA tourney 5 of 6 years including back to back national title appearances. NOBODY from Dukes current tree even approaches that. K lost in his two first title attempts in 86 and 90. Brad has built a reputation as a coach who's teams play HARD NOSE defense.

4. HIs current coaching job is arguably a more severe pressure cooker than Duke and that's saying a lot. The Boston Celtics is arguably the most storied franchise in ALL of sports not just basketball. A place that breeds and expects excellence due to the success of the Sox, Patriots and to some extent even the Bruins. Yet his style has translated wonderfully from college to the pros. He's loved in Boston (for now) and he certainly has gotten more out of this Celtics team than ANYONE even thought possible. Hall of Famer Pitino wasn't able to make it in Boston. He's already done enough to have enough credibility with kids in Highschool who are expected to be NBA level talent players and out of him vs ALL the in family guys ONLY HE can make the claim that he has successfully coached at the highest level and that his system works at the highest level.

5. Amaker, Wojo, Collins, Capel, dawkins, hurley

NONE of them bring the level of credibility and experience being the HC in a high pressure position that Brad does. ALL of them are as unproven as it gets for a job like Duke.

I submit my argument to you! Lol

Reactions: LetsGoDukies
Wow where to begin, okay

1. Butler is a private university. That experience matters when talking about the likelihood of being able to fit in to the environment that is Duke.

2. He's young, handsome and charismatic. He's a homerun just from the aesthetics and marketability. He has a welcoming aura that I believe would instantly bode well with parents, coaches and mentors who have a lot of say so.

Now that the BS is out of the way lets get to the nitty gritty.

3. 166-49 at Butler making the NCAA tourney 5 of 6 years including back to back national title appearances. NOBODY from Dukes current tree even approaches that. K lost in his two first title attempts in 86 and 90. Brad has built a reputation as a coach who's teams play HARD NOSE defense.

4. HIs current coaching job is arguably a more severe pressure cooker than Duke and that's saying a lot. The Boston Celtics is arguably the most storied franchise in ALL of sports not just basketball. A place that breeds and expects excellence due to the success of the Sox, Patriots and to some extent even the Bruins. Yet his style has translated wonderfully from college to the pros. He's loved in Boston (for now) and he certainly has gotten more out of this Celtics team than ANYONE even thought possible. Hall of Famer Pitino wasn't able to make it in Boston. He's already done enough to have enough credibility with kids in Highschool who are expected to be NBA level talent players and out of him vs ALL the in family guys ONLY HE can make the claim that he has successfully coached at the highest level and that his system works at the highest level.

5. Amaker, Wojo, Collins, Capel, dawkins, hurley

NONE of them bring the level of credibility and experience being the HC in a high pressure position that Brad does. ALL of them are as unproven as it gets for a job like Duke.

I submit my argument to you! Lol

For the record, I'm not arguing he's not a great choice. I'm just not as sold or enamored as some that it would be a homerun hire.

1.) Being at a private university is crucial. I agree there. The academic standards aren't as tough and he's not recruiting 3- and 4-star players. At Duke he's recruiting the best players in the country. I'm not saying he can't do it, but there's a few people he'd be up against for the job that have done it and done it well.

2.) Coach K was polish, a military man whose head coaching experience consisted of being the lead man at West Point. He did play and study under one of the all-time greats, but he was as unproven as they come taking the Duke job. I don't need to list his accolades for you because you know them.

3.) His resume is impressive. I can't argue with that. But he still lost 24 games his final two season's at Butler. The runs his 2010 and 2011 teams went on were spectacular and it vastly improved the school's image, but from a recruiting standpoint he wasn't hitting homeruns based off the back-to-back Final Fours.

4.) I won't argue he's not in a pressure cooker situation right now. Obviously the Celtics history stands among some of the greatest in all of sport. But let's be honest for a second, he came into a situation at Boston where he wasn't expected to be the savior right away. He's done a splendid job, but splendid at Duke puts you on the hot seat. I'd argue that going to Duke and replacing not only the greatest college basketball coach of all-time, but maybe the greatest coach in all of sport all-time brings with it some pressure as well. Looks at Coach K's history over the last 30 years. It's unmatched. And now rewind in your brain 12 months ago when Duke fans, some on this board, were questioning whether or not he was washed up. Like I said, lots of pressure in Boston, but it's no picnic here either. He'd be replacing the greatest coach the sport has seen.

5.) I don't think anyone is arguing for Hurley, Amaker, Wojo or Collins anymore. We know the path this is headed down. It's Jeff Capel....quite clearly. He doesn't have the head coaching success as say a Stevens, but he has almost as much experience. In addition to that, he has played and coached under the best. He has become one of the top recruiters in the country. He leads Duke's preparation going into games. K has entrusted him to take the lead in most practices. Coach Stevens, as good as he's been, has done none of that. It's not to say he can't, but those of us who appreciate K's system, what it means, what it stands for and what it's become almost are entitled to trust Coach K if he feels he has the best successor in mind.

Once again, I'm not harping on Stevens whatsoever. I think he's great. And I can say the last place I want to see him at is a school at UNC because I think he could be very successful. Like you said, he has the traits. But initially I want K's traits. I know it won't be the same and I know it may come with some down times....but I trust it and want to ride it out.

There's my $.02.

Excellent post DukieJay! I will defer to Coach K and will be satisfied with whomever he chooses to be the next coach. Notice I didn't say "take his place," no one will be able to fill his shoes.

For the record, I'm not arguing he's not a great choice. I'm just not as sold or enamored as some that it would be a homerun hire.

1.) Being at a private university is crucial. I agree there. The academic standards aren't as tough and he's not recruiting 3- and 4-star players. At Duke he's recruiting the best players in the country. I'm not saying he can't do it, but there's a few people he'd be up against for the job that have done it and done it well.

2.) Coach K was polish, a military man whose head coaching experience consisted of being the lead man at West Point. He did play and study under one of the all-time greats, but he was as unproven as they come taking the Duke job. I don't need to list his accolades for you because you know them.

3.) His resume is impressive. I can't argue with that. But he still lost 24 games his final two season's at Butler. The runs his 2010 and 2011 teams went on were spectacular and it vastly improved the school's image, but from a recruiting standpoint he wasn't hitting homeruns based off the back-to-back Final Fours.

4.) I won't argue he's not in a pressure cooker situation right now. Obviously the Celtics history stands among some of the greatest in all of sport. But let's be honest for a second, he came into a situation at Boston where he wasn't expected to be the savior right away. He's done a splendid job, but splendid at Duke puts you on the hot seat. I'd argue that going to Duke and replacing not only the greatest college basketball coach of all-time, but maybe the greatest coach in all of sport all-time brings with it some pressure as well. Looks at Coach K's history over the last 30 years. It's unmatched. And now rewind in your brain 12 months ago when Duke fans, some on this board, were questioning whether or not he was washed up. Like I said, lots of pressure in Boston, but it's no picnic here either. He'd be replacing the greatest coach the sport has seen.

5.) I don't think anyone is arguing for Hurley, Amaker, Wojo or Collins anymore. We know the path this is headed down. It's Jeff Capel....quite clearly. He doesn't have the head coaching success as say a Stevens, but he has almost as much experience. In addition to that, he has played and coached under the best. He has become one of the top recruiters in the country. He leads Duke's preparation going into games. K has entrusted him to take the lead in most practices. Coach Stevens, as good as he's been, has done none of that. It's not to say he can't, but those of us who appreciate K's system, what it means, what it stands for and what it's become almost are entitled to trust Coach K if he feels he has the best successor in mind.

Once again, I'm not harping on Stevens whatsoever. I think he's great. And I can say the last place I want to see him at is a school at UNC because I think he could be very successful. Like you said, he has the traits. But initially I want K's traits. I know it won't be the same and I know it may come with some down times....but I trust it and want to ride it out.

There's my $.02.

It's an extremely well-thought out post -- but it's really such an untenable argument IMO. Stevens and Capel aren't in the same stratosphere when you're talking about pure coaching acumen. It's not really a knock on Capel necessarily -- b/c neither is Roy, Self, and a handful of other coaches who lead elite national programs. As for recruiting, I really have no doubt that Stevens would do well. He's got an incredible reputation, he'd be selling Duke, and oh btw) he's spent the past few years successfully coaching at the highest level -- taking a team of cast offs to the playoffs in year 2. No idea if Stevens would be interested / willing to return to college, but any smart coaching search should start with Duke calling Stevens to see if he'd be interested in making the jump and throwing an absurd amount of money to get him. If that doesn't work, then we can talk about someone like Capel v. other more pedestrian hires.

IMO, this is a non-issue b/c I think Stevens is likely to stay in the NBA for a long time and win a few championships for either the Celtics or someone else -- as he's already universally considered a top 5-10 coach in the NBA at the age of 38 --- which is actually 2 years younger than Capel. But, on the off chance he's interested, we'd be absolutely insane to turn him down for Capel -- regardless of how much faith Coach K has in him.

Last edited:
That's pretty strong work Dukie Jay. I honestly couldn't foresee that strong of a rebuttal, quite frankly didn't think it was possible. I can also appreciate your candor in the fact that a guy like Capel could result in some initial struggles but that the system or K's methodology would remain in place and reap long term success. Interesting point of view enough so that you've actually caused me to rethink SOME of my thoughts on the issue although not my overall belief that Stevens would be the clear homerun in comparison. I also need to be more clear that I absolutely love Capel and his potential. I'm just not sure about his coaching YET in terms of X and O and even picking a staff. But he would definitely be my choice if Stevens was not realistic.

^^^And that, folks, is how you debate on a message board. Good stuff guys.

That's pretty strong work Dukie Jay. I honestly couldn't foresee that strong of a rebuttal, quite frankly didn't think it was possible. I can also appreciate your candor in the fact that a guy like Capel could result in some initial struggles but that the system or K's methodology would remain in place and reap long term success. Interesting point of view enough so that you've actually caused me to rethink SOME of my thoughts on the issue although not my overall belief that Stevens would be the clear homerun in comparison. I also need to be more clear that I absolutely love Capel and his potential. I'm just not sure about his coaching YET in terms of X and O and even picking a staff. But he would definitely be my choice if Stevens was not realistic.

I think you both made solid points- and truthfully we'd be in great hands with either guy, so it's a fun argument to have from that stand point. For Capel on the X's and O's issue- guy watches more tape than anyone on our staff. He's the one that sets the gameplans, the X's and O's. K makes the final call, but its largely Capel at this point who's leading the charge for a lot of those situations. In terms of building his staff, I dont see it being much different. If K retired today, Capel would keep Jon and Nate on staff, maybe bring in or back another guy from the family.

I was always a big fan of Chris Collins- i thought he had the perfect combination of recruiting, X's and O's and motivating techniques, cut right from the K cloth- with some of his father's genes. Capel has certainly made me change that thought process, but i'd still throw Chris's name in there, although at a distance behind Jeff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT