ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament with no Fans?

I think it's fair to be skeptical, but let's not be completely ignorant.

For sure. There are obvious downsides to being overly cautious, but that pales in comparison to the downside of being completely dismissive.

Oh boy! Big Ten, Sec and AAC just cancelled their tournaments. ACC is next watch.

I think something can be said for being proactive over reactionary. All of us are still learning and trying to wrap our heads around the continuous cycle of new information. Human nature tells us that people are going to react in different ways. There's nothing wrong with that. But I encourage folks not to be ignorant. We don't have all the answers and we don't know what's going to come of this, but that doesn't make it less scary for some.

What I hate more than anything is how it's been made political. Something like this shouldn't be. I hate that we might lose the NCAA Tournament just as much as the next guy....but really, in a broad scope, it's way down on the list.

I think something can be said for being proactive over reactionary. All of us are still learning and trying to wrap our heads around the continuous cycle of new information. Human nature tells us that people are going to react in different ways. There's nothing wrong with that. But I encourage folks not to be ignorant. We don't have all the answers and we don't know what's going to come of this, but that doesn't make it less scary for some.

What I hate more than anything is how it's been made political. Something like this shouldn't be. I hate that we might lose the NCAA Tournament just as much as the next guy....but really, in a broad scope, it's way down on the list.
Outstanding post!

Good post. We never know what's happening in other peoples lives. My dad went into the hospital last month with crazy breathing problems. He came home after a week, on Valentines Day, and then dropped dead in front of my mom the night of the 15th. She called me in hysterics, with medics working on him in the background, and I had to make the call, on the phone, for them to stop working on him. It has been a heck of a month, and my mom is no spring chicken, and now we are neck deep in prepping for weeks of school closure while finishing up report cards for tomorrow and planning parent teacher conferences for next week (which now apparently will have to be teleconferences or something?) while keeping both my kids at home and my kids at school calm and also making sure that the house is prepped if things DO go really south (ah, the fun of being dad, right?)... and the virus was in the Cheesecake factory one town over, and in the hospital one town over, and I live 20 minutes from the big NY containment zone... so obviously everyone is coming at it from a different place... I think most of the folks here are just sharing what they are reading as we try to learn. I'm sure folks, including me, are getting things wrong, but what can you do, you know?

Anyway... yeah. Haven't really shared that with anyone yet. Haven't cried yet either... too much to do, too many people to support. Plus, I don't cry. I'm sure that's okay and it's not all building up to a heart attack...?:)

My heart goes out to you and your family....it truly does. All my best.

Either cancel or postpone. Just not worth it right now in my opinion. I'm going to leave it at that for my comment.

Reactions: pisgah101
Good post. We never know what's happening in other peoples lives. My dad went into the hospital last month with crazy breathing problems. He came home after a week, on Valentines Day, and then dropped dead in front of my mom the night of the 15th. She called me in hysterics, with medics working on him in the background, and I had to make the call, on the phone, for them to stop working on him. It has been a heck of a month, and my mom is no spring chicken, and now we are neck deep in prepping for weeks of school closure while finishing up report cards for tomorrow and planning parent teacher conferences for next week (which now apparently will have to be teleconferences or something?) while keeping both my kids at home and my kids at school calm and also making sure that the house is prepped if things DO go really south (ah, the fun of being dad, right?)... and the virus was in the Cheesecake factory one town over, and in the hospital one town over, and I live 20 minutes from the big NY containment zone... so obviously everyone is coming at it from a different place... I think most of the folks here are just sharing what they are reading as we try to learn. I'm sure folks, including me, are getting things wrong, but what can you do, you know?

Anyway... yeah. Haven't really shared that with anyone yet. Haven't cried yet either... too much to do, too many people to support. Plus, I don't cry. I'm sure that's okay and it's not all building up to a heart attack...?:)

man.. that makes me shed a tear I’m so sorry!

Reactions: TheDude1

My goodness man! I'm so sorry for your loss. Having lost both parents, it's unimaginable and feel your pain. Praying for you and your family brother. Another reason to respect people's decision/opinion on this.

Thanks fourteen. We can disagree about paranoia part I suppose which is not a big deal. Life is very different for everyone....I was a D-1 athlete in NC and competed in the IM world championship so super healthy a few years back but have had random pulmonary embolism twice in 9 years...we just approach respiratory afflictions with more caution that’s all. Life throws curve balls from time to time. It is what it is.

I get it my friend, D1 athlete here too, had asthma as a kid, and had renal infarction April 1 last year (don’t stay sleeping in same position on plabevfir 8 hours lol). Had to take Xarelto for 8 months so that took getting used to. Also have an arrhythmia that was corrected (flatlined twice during procedure). Even with that, I’m not concerned about this. We do need to protect the vulnerable but we’re flirting with going beyond that now.

Reactions: 500HP_Devil
ACC, I think should join the party. Not a good look to be one of the few on an island all by yourself at this time.

The Big East game right now is interesting with limited fans.. you can hear the cheerleaders cheer and the coaches calling out plays.

I get it my friend, D1 athlete here too, had asthma as a kid, and had renal infarction April 1 last year (don’t stay sleeping in same position on plabevfir 8 hours lol). Had to take Xarelto for 8 months so that took getting used to. Also have an arrhythmia that was corrected (flatlined twice during procedure). Even with that, I’m not concerned about this. We do need to protect the vulnerable but we’re flirting with going beyond that now.

stay safe man...sounds like you are a tough hombre after going through all that.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Cancelling the ACC tourney was the correct decision. Now all eyes on the NCAA’s. It’s my hope that it’s delayed to gather more information before being outright cancelled.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
ES6-lx3XYAEvnvR

If Duke's season ends with a solid win over the cheaters, I'm actually okay with that.

Reactions: Liftee
At this point I would be very surprised if they play the NCAA Tournament. There are obviously ripple effects of all kinds, but some of the people who you feel most sorry for are the teams like Hofstra. I heard their coach interviewed on the radio yesterday, and they haven't made the tournament in 19 years. Now, as they have earned that honor, they might not get it. Obviously that is a small thing in comparison to the greater good, but stinks for them nonetheless.

Damn Dude1, I’ve just been skimming, didn’t catch your post. Very sorry my friend, truly.

man.. that makes me shed a tear I’m so sorry!

Thanks guys. Honestly, he was 94, he lived a GREAT life, he got to meet his grandkids and get to know them... it sounds nuts, but when I picked up the phone and heard my mom, I sort of was just... at peace. We got for all we could ask for. One of the deals with loving someone is that you have to accept what will happen. It sucks that that terrible moment comes at the very end, but you've gotta remember all the great that comes before.

Last edited:
I don’t have the answers but it’s becomjng a situation of CYA, not safety of the people. What feeds CYA? Anxiety, panic, paranoia....in whatever order you like. That’s what is happening now. I get it if I’m the one potentially liable. Take a small hit now in the grand scheme as long as it eliminates any long term negativity.

Btw, the covid19 is losing steam a bit already so I guarantee they’ll expand the bookends on time of being contagious to drag this out. Question of when will they do this next step? They’ll say “we don’t know enough yet....”. Lol, the easiest excuse to use. They know this strain backwards and forwards.

Who are "They"? The CDC? The WHO? The Media?

Are they all working together? The CDC and WHO are part of the conspiracy? And to what end? To get people in a panic and what? To buy toilet paper and paper towels and canned goods? So Charmin and Quilted Northern paired with the CDC and the WHO to feed alarming info to the media, knowing it'd cause a frenzy so people would freak out, cancel everything (including sporting events - oh yeah, what are they getting out of taking the financial hit? Are they in on it as well or just a victim of the "grand plan"?), and drive sells of toiletries and non-perishables.

Who is dragging it out? And for what reason? And what is your proof? And what do you know about the virus that the CDC and WHO are missing? Have you thought about getting into the upper echelons of those organizations?

I’ll bite. Something HAD to be done about this booming economy. If it kept on booming, Trump gets re-elected. They’ve been trying to find some way to squash it since day one.

So Italy and China and the WHO and the CDC and the various sports leagues and all the businesses and all the schools and all of these... are part of a conspiracy?

That's a bit too... paranoid... for me. I'm more on the "There is a global pandemic and people are trying to deal with it" train.

Reactions: Mpm277
I’m talking about people who get a good report from the President then immediately after want to discuss how they could hear him breathing during the speech. Just weird shit like that.;)

Wow, Dude. Terrible news and impossible for me to fathom what that must have been like. Sounds like you’re staying strong. Best wishes, man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT