ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk a little Duke football.

I was. I believe in our coach.

I never in my life thought I'd see a 10 win Duke football team, but I did.

I never thought I'd see us take it to the likes of Miami or Texas A&M, but we did.

I never thought I'd see us have a chance to compete for a spot in the Orange Bowl, but we did.

I never thought I'd see a Duke football player be All-ACC, but I've seen it.

I never thought I'd see 4 guys in the ESPN 300 come to Duke, but they did.

Perhaps I'm foolishly optimistic, but I'm predicting 9 wins this year which would include a bowl win. We'd have had it last year if it weren't for the Miami game taking so much out of us. I belive in this coach and my team. :)

I believe in Cut and his staff also. I will be happy with 6 maybe 7 wins this year. If Cut wins 9 games this year he should be not only ACC coach of the year but National coach of the year because it will be a miracle.

Reactions: skysdad
Until our football board gets back to normal I'm keeping this thread near the top. I just can't imagine when football season starts not having threads about the game. I don't see any problem with the regulars on the football board using this until the football board gets fixed. By the way has anyone heard what's going on with the rivals administrators on the problem and if it can be taken care of or is the football board and lounge screwed forever. Can there be a new football board and lounge stated under new names and blocked from the hackers. Apparently thr is doing something right to keep the hackers from messing up all the boards. Still don't understand that. Can any of the mods give any insight to this. We have a lot of football posters who are just as loyal as we have here on the basketball board. In the mean time jobe and some of the other football guys please use this. OFC

Last edited:
Thanks Sky. When does the season start?

Been a Duke football fan since I was little, back in the 90s and early 2000s when we were the worst Power Conference school in college football. It has been a great honor to see the turnaround that Duke has undergone with David Cutcliffe. He is easily the most underrated football coach in America.

This year things might get tough. Schedule is a beast; I'll be happy with 7 wins but we'll finally see how the recruiting is shaking out this year. Hoping for great things, and an upset of the tar holes.

Sky his name is Gunnar Homberg. Kid is fast with a very accurate arm. Since he is in the class of 2018 he is going to get a lot of looks from other programs. Hope we can hold on to him.
OFC

Duke Football is going to be on national TV a lot this year.

@ Notre Dame (September 24th, 3:30 PM): NBC
@ Louisville (October 14th, 7 PM): ESPN
@ UNC (November 10th, 7:30 PM): ESPN

Here's hoping we can represent well in these games!!

Just hope we have enough security at the visitors locker room. We don't need to be vandalized again by a bunch of immature thugs. OFC

Thats for sure- their first visit since they "redecorated" our facilities two years ago...

OFC

We as Duke fans are still adjusting to unprecedented level of talent we have been getting over the last several years. Its not like basketball providing an immediate impact, but this year and next is when all that 3 and 4 star talent starts to show we just might be very surprised by not just the win total but who we beat...

We as Duke fans are still adjusting to unprecedented level of talent we have been getting over the last several years. Its not like basketball providing an immediate impact, but this year and next is when all that 3 and 4 star talent starts to show we just might be very surprised by not just the win total but who we beat...

They will certainly have opportunities to contribute! Very young this year! Fall camp begins in 2 wks!!

OFC

Reactions: dbav
I keep seeing reports that Duke football will receive some good news today.

Duke landed Deon Jackson out of Georgia. He is a 3 star running back. His final 3 were Duke , Virginia Tech and Missouri.

Last edited:
That's good news. Hope he turns into something special for us. It would be great to have a 1,000 yard plus year from a R.B. Been a while. OFC

Reactions: harttochesson
Duke Football is going to be on national TV a lot this year.

@ Notre Dame (September 24th, 3:30 PM): NBC
@ Louisville (October 14th, 7 PM): ESPN
@ UNC (November 10th, 7:30 PM): ESPN

Here's hoping we can represent well in these games!!

Getting ahead of myself guys and I realize it.
However per Bluedevilish quote this is quite interesting....If we could sometime start 3-0 and that includes a win AT NORTHWESTERN, Cut takes the boys from Durham UNBEATEN into South Bend...What a Showcase opportunity for our Devils on national tv!!

OFC

Last edited:
Getting ahead of myself guys and I realize it.
However per Bluedevilish quote this is quite interesting....If we could sometime start 3-0 and that includes a win AT NORTHWESTERN, Cut takes the boys from Durham UNBEATEN into South Bend...What a Showcase opportunity for our Devils on national tv!!

OFC

3 games. That's AWESOME! OFC

We really owe Northwestern after our unimaginative playcalling (dink-doink passes in the flat last yr) failed miserably...

OFC

Reactions: spike05rk
Agreed Spike...I doubt a few days go by w/o me thinking of that game.....Sometime I will reflect on that game and why IMO, it never should have come down to that ill fated squib kick....

OFC

Agreed Spike...I doubt a few days go by w/o me thinking of that game.....Sometime I will reflect on that game and why IMO, it never should have come down to that ill fated squib kick....

OFC

The feeling after that game was so empty. Turning point of the season. The U.S. men's Olympic basketball team of 1972 had to have the same feeling. OFC

I honestly look forward to the games everyone thinks we will lose. I like to see how we match up against FSU or Louisville. I like to see how far we have come. I don't even mind losses to those teams as long as we show we belong there.

The feeling after that game was so empty. Turning point of the season. The U.S. men's Olympic basketball team of 1972 had to have the same feeling. OFC

Sky I slept very little that nite....As I was telling Spike I still think about the debacle every few days...Let me be clear, as Jobe has stated: "we really won the game," the zebras cost us....

However, we lost it so many other ways that nite....
1/McCaffery fumble deep in their territory
2/Failing to score at outset of game on 4 cracks from inside the 5.
3/And a rare Cut gaffe IMO, w/our top 4 leading tacklers NOT on the field for the actual squib kick(sure we had one of those guys down), but had those 4 been on field they would have left NO DOUBT IMO.....

This may be the game we need to win late in season to get to yet another bowl!

OFC

That game will haunt me for a long time. To make matters worse one of guys that worked with me was a Miami graduate. Naturally he thought the play was good.
OFC

I would like for Peyton Manning to get on the staff since he retired. I know he is pretty fond of Coach Cut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT