ADVERTISEMENT

Honor to Coach K

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Such a great person. I became a moderate to serious Duke fan in 1978 watching Spanarkel, Gminski, and Banks lead the team to a title run.

Had been a Wooden fan - especially the Bull Walton era. But I also really respected the way Bobby Knight coached. Particularly his man to man defense. So when Mike went to Duke I was pretty pumped. Everyone knows the story of the first few years.

I think it was the Dawkins-Alarie-Henderson Jr. year, Amaker as a sophomore, when it felt like the program had really their d a corner. I remember a game at Cameron in 1985, can’t recall who we played, and Dawkins and Amaker weee just dominating on the defensive end. Watching the floor slap with those two was amazing.

Then for a bit I thought K might be one of those coaches who can never win the big one until ‘91. From 86 to 92, Duke either went to the Final Four (incl. 88-92) or lost to the Champion (87 IU).

In 1991 I was living in the Czech Republic (Prague) and drove 9-10 hours to a friend’s house in western Germany, near France and Luxembourg, to be able to watch the Final Four, which came on at 2 in the morning.
Winning that year - just one of the best moments as a fan. But 4 more after ‘91? Astounding.

Regardless of next week, a record 13th FF - most all time - in this era is astounding. Greatest coach in the Post 1980 era. 13 FFs is just such an amazing ach

5 NCAA championships

13 Final Fours

15 ACC Championships

13 ACC Regular Season Titles

3 Olympic Gold Medals

3 Time Naismith Coach of the Year.

Let’s Go! Play your guts out and Win the Next Game!

I want to win on Saturday desperately, but we can't lose sight of the fact that this has been a terrific run by our young men under tremendous pressure. They have handled it with dignity and class, just like the man who coaches them.

Reactions: christophero
Some say K announcing this is his last season was for a farewell tour. Me, I know that’s bs. He did it because of the way college basketball is transitioning, letting future recruits know before they commit he’s leaving, putting all his focus on coaching 1 year, and spending the rest of his life with his family. Even if part A is partially true I think he deserves it! Hey it can’t be no worse, and what kind of sh!t is it calling it quits on April fools day?! How ironically placed upon the calendar for Roy and the cheats, I tell you 😂🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT