ADVERTISEMENT

General recruiting info

I agree. I’m very excited about the next year Fr class and if Foster joins it, geez. But they will have to contribute in a big way for Duke to be success especially if only Roach & Blakes (if?) return
I’m with you and giving the rates of transfers there is nothing saying Blake’s won’t enter the portal.

Yea kinda stinks and Scheyer needs to have a roster of 10 guys that can play in meaningful games if or when needed

Reactions: youngman42
Well as Duke fans, we can agree to disagree. I'm not saying these kids are day one Zion/Bagley type of talents, but the '22 class is special and we will rely on freshman talent greatly next year. Some don't like the one and done heavy teams, and I can respect that, but give me all the talent we have coming in everyday and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: christophero
I agree. I’m very excited about the next year Fr class and if Foster joins it, geez. But they will have to contribute in a big way for Duke to be success especially if only Roach & Blakes (if?) return
I can agree with that. I'd prefer Foster to stay in '23 as I don't love those reclasses (outside of Bagley), and I think Roach has shown improvements through this year and will be an above average point next year. He will have tons of talent to work with.

Foster has always been considered as a player that was going to reclass. I believe it has always been in play in his recruiting

Reactions: sheyduke
I know that...I pay attention to recruiting. I'm just saying I hope he stays in '23 is all.

Well as Duke fans, we can agree to disagree. I'm not saying these kids are day one Zion/Bagley type of talents, but the '22 class is special and we will rely on freshman talent greatly next year. Some don't like the one and done heavy teams, and I can respect that, but give me all the talent we have coming in everyday and twice on Sunday.
I don’t have an issue with one and dones. Just like to hold judgement until I see them play in actual college games. Duke will always be heavily OAD teams even after K.

I don’t have an issue with one and dones. Just like to hold judgement until I see them play in actual college games. Duke will always be heavily OAD teams even after K.
That's fair. We are just so spoiled with all these 5 stars. This "debate" is a great issue to have.

I truly think the ‘22 class is very good just I’m not deadset on them being impacts except for Dariq and maybe Flip

Agreed Jake. I think Flip and Whitehead will likely be our leading scorers unless Moore or Keels come back. Even then, I think Dariq is probably the guy. Lively will probably be a 9 and 9 type of guy with good defense and a couple blocks per game. That's still very valuable. It does seem like we need one more alpha type for that team, so hopefully we get one guy to stay.

Mitchell will be that glue guy and I kind of think he will be that guy that does it all but doesn’t necessarily get recognition.

Will Lively be a "situational guy" like Williams is this year? It's been surprising how many teams Mark does not seem to be effective against. Of course, we have not made it a priority to get him the ball either.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I think Lively will have similar highs and lows. The difference is Lively is a willing 3 point shooter. Lively has to get much stronger. I heard him in a recent interview say he’s 7-2 and 225. That’s not gunna hold up against major competition. Flip said he is 7-0 230 plus but I grad guy that is 245-255 would be ideal

Hard to say Chris. Scheyer will likely handle some things differently. It will be interesting to see if that is one of them.

Will Lively be a "situational guy" like Williams is this year? It's been surprising how many teams Mark does not seem to be effective against. Of course, we have not made it a priority to get him the ball either.
I don’t think it’s not a priority as much as teams knowing Dukes best offense is in the paint. So many times our bigs fight for position only to not get open . Nice to see how we adapt going forward because Williams is a weapon.

What hurts Mark is that, so far, he has not shown the ability to operate in the high post or be a threat after setting screens on the perimeter. He has been even worse when getting the ball on the perimeter. Not dissing Mark, just that his overall offensive skill set is limited. But, we knew that before he ever stepped foot on campus.

Kyle should be way better in those scenarios and it looks like Lively could be too. Their better ball skills and perimeter shooting should allow them them to much more versatile and consistent contributors on O than Mark.

I never really understood the hype of mark possibly entering the draft last year or being anything different than what he has been so far this year. what did he do last year? imo, he showed that he can grab an offensive rebound and dunk it, he can catch a lob and dunk it, and he runs the floor well and dunks in transition. his point production rarely comes from anything else but those 3 scenarios and that is what he is doing again this year. on the other end of the court he is definitely a disruptor on defense. if he doesn't show the ability to operate on the low block or make outside shots then he should be a 4 year player imo. however, we know how that goes.........

I never really understood the hype of mark possibly entering the draft last year or being anything different than what he has been so far this year. what did he do last year? imo, he showed that he can grab an offensive rebound and dunk it, he can catch a lob and dunk it, and he runs the floor well and dunks in transition. his point production rarely comes from anything else but those 3 scenarios and that is what he is doing again this year. on the other end of the court he is definitely a disruptor on defense. if he doesn't show the ability to operate on the low block or make outside shots then he should be a 4 year player imo. however, we know how that goes.........
I think that’s selling him a little short. I don’t think you’re far off though. Coming into this season I think fans took way too much from his last few games last year and especially his final game against L’ville. No way was he going to come in and produce that again. Having said that. He has a place in the league being an athletic, lengthy rim protector. Obviously he will leave after this season, or we wouldn’t have landed the front court we did in recruiting.

Agree as well but as we all know everything is based on two of the most overused words...."potential" and "special"

I recall him hitting at least 3 or 4 15-18 foot jumpers last season.

I recall him hitting at least 3 or 4 15-18 foot jumpers last season.
he also made a 3 pointer during countdown to crazy but I would not call him a 3 point shooter :) I was speaking about the majority of his points.

If we are looking at Mark's progression the last 10 games of last year it is reasonable to say he has regressed in certain ways. If we didnt get Lively I would think he was coming back.

If we are looking at Mark's progression the last 10 games of last year it is reasonable to say he has regressed in certain ways. If we didnt get Lively I would think he was coming back.
I don’t know that Mark has regressed from last year. I think his stellar play at the end of last year was partly because the rest of the team wasn’t very good, and he looked good by comparison. Especially in the post. We have much more firepower this year, so his opportunities have been a little more limited. That said, I agree he needs to develop some more of his O game besides being able to dunk it (don’t get me wrong, though, I love the way he flushes it when he’s near the basket - only Zion and Bagley have been close to that for us over the last 15 years).

The problem for mark is we do not have a consistent three point threat to pull of the entry pass. He’s fighting for position but teams are closing the paint . I agree he needs to add to his offensive weapons but his defense is there.

he also made a 3 pointer during countdown to crazy but I would not call him a 3 point shooter :) I was speaking about the majority of his points.
Not Mark’s role to shoot jumpers, although he has clearly demonstrated the ability to do so. Since alley oops count the same as mid range jumpers, I’m good with him spending most of his time around the hoop.

Reactions: Leo2Wes
Whatever happened to Bronny James? I see that he's dropped a bunch but what happened just asking..I don't want him. Too much fan fare and don't care for Lebron. Not going any further with the LeBron comment.
What’s really interesting is he really doesn’t even have any offers. Think schools are being very careful how they handle Bronny’s recruitment (especially Nike schools). If you offer Lebron’s kid, you’ve got to be willing to accept his commitment. There is no throwing a bunch of offers out there at SGs and then telling Lebron’s kid that sorry our class is full at that position. Imagine that’s part of the reason that no blue blood schools have offered him, and schools like Duke, UK, KU & UNC are a few of the only schools that could handle the publicity of having Lebron’s kid play there.

Imagine offers will start going out to Bronny later in the process then most players ranked as a top 50 prospect, which is counterintuitive to what I thought would’ve happened 1-2 years ago.

What’s really interesting is he really doesn’t even have any offers. Think schools are being very careful how they handle Bronny’s recruitment (especially Nike schools). If you offer Lebron’s kid, you’ve got to be willing to accept his commitment. There is no throwing a bunch of offers out there at SGs and then telling Lebron’s kid that sorry our class is full at that position. Imagine that’s part of the reason that no blue blood schools have offered him, and schools like Duke, UK, KU & UNC are a few of the only schools that could handle the publicity of having Lebron’s kid play there.

Imagine offers will start going out to Bronny later in the process then most players ranked as a top 50 prospect, which is counterintuitive to what I thought would’ve happened 1-2 years ago.
He’s not playing in college IMO. I see him going to the gleague like wades son. I think most the blue bloods see this as well.

Mark is all about the matchup. He will be vital against teams that can't exploit his areas of weakness.

If Mark can develop better perimeter D skills and or become more effective in the high post and shooting mid range jumpers, he becomes much more of a mismatch that favors us as opposed to hindering us.

Just when I started to think about Bronny a few days ago, I'm seeing this now

He slipping in the high school ranks. He’s actually a combo guard but I still don’t see him going to college .

Reactions: youngman42
Just when I started to think about Bronny a few days ago, I'm seeing this now

We don’t need the side show this kid will bring with him. He’s not good enough to warrant that stuff. Let him go to Kentucky or UCLA.

I think Paolo is coming back since he's not atop 15 player in the country according to ESPN 😂😂😂😂😂

It's odd to me that folks are concerned about the C/F positions. We are fortunate to have those!

The biggest challenge on this Duke team and it has been a struggle for them over the past decade, the Jones' brothers not withstanding, is the guard position. We are uber weak at both shooting and point and there are no combo guards. Even the Jones' had their struggles with shooting. The last consistently good outside shooter Duke had was Luke Kennard in 2017 (even though we had Grayson on that team and the next yr, his outside shooting faded to inconsistency his last two years compared to his sophomore and freshman).

Guards are crucial to NCAA tournament runs (Just ask Gonzaga and Baylor and we could go down the years). We have no pure 3 point shooting guards nor a quality PG. And the defense is lacking there as well. Jeremy Roach would be fortunate to get 8 minutes a game, let alone 8 Pts, on a team like Baylor or the Zags last year.

Caleb Foster is a huge get for 2023 and the best thing would be for our big men and recruits this year to get some strong NIL deals, remain in school, and have those sophomores stronger ready to go when Foster comes in.

If they stay, 2023 could be the best chance Duke has at a run to the NCAAs in several years.

But we also have to have some guys at the guard position stay and develop if we really want to be competitive. That means some recruits in the 50-100 range who are committed to an education and have confidence their turn will come. Hopefully Scheyer recognizes that.

Foster isn’t staying in 2023. Duke could have Blake’s, Schutt and possibly a sophomore Foster in 2023. Duke also still has a couple more 2023 guards they are after and there is always the transfer portal.
Duke will be fine with guards

Reactions: jamsession3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT