ADVERTISEMENT

General recruiting info

I wonder if Mitchell will be influenced by his concern that Griffin is playing (or not playing) himself into a sophomore year.

I wonder if Mitchell will be influenced by his concern that Griffin is playing (or not playing) himself into a sophomore year.
Griffin won’t be back for a sophomore year. I’d put a hundred on that.

Reactions: christophero
I hope AJ blows up in January and February and it becomes obvious he deserves being a OAD.

I hope AJ blows up in January and February and it becomes obvious he deserves being a OAD.
That’s only between him and his family but I wouldn’t expect him back .

Even if he does blow up, how many are truly (talent wise) ready? The list of guys Duke has that left after 1 season is long, but the list isn't short with the ones who are not in the league. I don't follow the pro game, but how's Stanley, Carey, Duval, Frank Jackson, Tre, and a few others doing? I'm seriously asking.
We are being told Keels is oad, but he hasn't shown himself, imo, to be anything but a solid college freshman.

Don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I get so sick and tired of the announcers commenting on these young kids making millions soon, while we're watching them play for Duke.

Keels is way more ready than Griffin.

Griffin may not be at Duke next season but I doubt he’ll be in the NBA either.

Just my opinion based on what I’ve seen from him.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Even if he does blow up, how many are truly (talent wise) ready? The list of guys Duke has that left after 1 season is long, but the list isn't short with the ones who are not in the league. I don't follow the pro game, but how's Stanley, Carey, Duval, Frank Jackson, Tre, and a few others doing? I'm seriously asking.
We are being told Keels is oad, but he hasn't shown himself, imo, to be anything but a solid college freshman.

Don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I get so sick and tired of the announcers commenting on these young kids making millions soon, while we're watching them play for Duke.
Exactly. I love college bb much more than the nba so these comments are like “who cares?” I hope all Duke players do well make a lot of money etc but in my mind it’s only down hill from here

I don't know how Keels is close to playing in the NBA. He will lose his strength advantage and he really isn't a great shooter or one on one player. Yes he is the poster boy for a guy who needs 2 years.

What I have never understood is why a guy like DJ last year or perhaps Griffin and Keels this year leave when they clearly could use another year of preparation while The Dump gets guys to stay another year rather routinely.

Reactions: sheyduke
I don't know how Keels is close to playing in the NBA. He will lose his strength advantage and he really isn't a great shooter or one on one player. Yes he is the poster boy for a guy who needs 2 years.

What I have never understood is why a guy like DJ last year or perhaps Griffin and Keels this year leave when they clearly could use another year of preparation while The Dump gets guys to stay another year rather routinely.
If you’re referring to unc they got hookers drugs. Dirty business what do they need $ for when they gettin it for free. Hubert Davis will not be coaching this time next year

Keels is way more ready than Griffin.

Griffin may not be at Duke next season but I doubt he’ll be in the NBA either.

Just my opinion based on what I’ve seen from him.
Keels isn’t ready either but he’ll probably go. The reason I say Griffin is because I’d they still have him going in the first round given his injury history you bolt . He was talked about as a lottery pick prior to the knee injury. I also think his lack of playing time is beginning to hinder his mentality. The longer he sits on the bench the more the mental aspect of if he can play or not due to his injuries begins to take over.

keels would have to put together multiple games with good offense before I see him going in the first round but if Stewart can bolt after one season these two sure can.

Reactions: Mac9192
Keels and Griffin can both leave or stay. It all depends on ACC play, Wins and Health. Those three variables triumph all conversations about the draft!

AJ and Keels probably are one and dones, but man how awesome would it be to get a senior Wendell with the kids we having coming in? I'm sure Mark knows the inside chatter as to what some of these guys are thinking already. Would love to get him- that's for sure.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Intrigued by this guy.

I’m somewhat confused on the number of SFs that we have already offered and sit very well with and how those numbers work out. We are heavily involved with Mackenzie Mgbako and lead for him by a wide margin (top SF in 2023 class). We offered Matas Buzelis a couple weeks ago and are in his top two. We also have offers out or in pretty serious discussions with Bowen, JJ Taylor, Kwame Evans Jr, and Mookie Cook who are all SF (Evans can be SF or PF).

There is definitely some size in the list of the SF class, and maybe we take 2-3 guys at that position if we miss out on GG Jackson or Sean Stewart at PF. We have no offers out to Centers and have offered one SG in Jared McCain with feelers out to Bronny James in case he doesn’t go pro.

I'm calling it now. Moore comes back for his Senior year!

IMHO all the rest are gone. It's the sad state of the game these days. Oh crap, did I just enter the OFC?? :)

I'm calling it now. Moore comes back for his Senior year!

IMHO all the rest are gone. It's the sad state of the game these days. Oh crap, did I just enter the OFC?? :)
You’ve been a member a while now

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Griffin comes back. Unless he goes on a magical, "He has to enter the draft run" between now and the end of the season, he will be back. Jon will be a big factor, in that pitch. Moore too imo. That would be a heck of a potential lineup... Moore, whitehead, Griffin, Flip, Lively... POTENTIAL FOLKS.

Griffin comes back. Unless he goes on a magical, "He has to enter the draft run" between now and the end of the season, he will be back. Jon will be a big factor, in that pitch. Moore too imo. That would be a heck of a potential lineup... Moore, whitehead, Griffin, Flip, Lively... POTENTIAL FOLKS.
We will see I highly doubt it though.

Moore gone.
Keels gone.
AJ gone.
There will be plenty of playing time next year. Keels and Moore maybe 1 in 4 chance they come back. Keels might come back if he shoots poorly all year, but no way I'm wishing for that. I still think think he's gone. Even if AJ struggles all year, he's not going from lottery to undrafted. He will at worst show enough glimpses to be drafted. I think he needs to come back, but no one consults me on these things. AJ and Keels right now are way more draftable than Hurt or Steward were. If I were to hope for anyone it would be Moore, but he's having a breakthrough year. All that being said, if we could get Roach and Keels (or Moore) back that would be incredible. Roach back is a given. Hopefully Blakes sticks it out, as he is not getting any burn in big games.

Last edited:
Keels and AJ are both young for Freshmen these days. Hurt was older when he came in.

Keels and AJ are both young for Freshmen these days. Hurt was older when he came in.
Griffin has a father on the raptors coaching staff. He will get all the info he needs between them and the staff( he’s not coming back) my best guess would be Roach and Moore. Roach because he really needs to refine his pg skills and Moore because he will have his best gauge this year where he’ll go in the draft. If it’s second round I think he returns if it’s first he goes. Keels is an iffy. He has an nba body but hasn’t put together a good game since Kentucky .
what us fans are talking about you best believe next years recruits are as well.

Dariq Whitehead and Montverde Academy destroyed Oak Hill on ESPNU yesterday. He's good, and physically mature. Montverde is well coached by Kevin Boyle. #23, Mitchell, runs and jumps like a gazelle. Committed to Texas. He'll be a star. I would sign players from Montverde's JV team. Their practices must be like major college games

That's good that he's physical because our other recruits, while good players, are not. We need some beef next year, esp. if Keels and AJ move on.

According to most at rivals, Mitchell is going to UCLA. Really hope that means we are going to get either Wendell or Keels back.

According to most at rivals, Mitchell is going to UCLA. Really hope that means we are going to get either Wendell or Keels back.
Wendell would be my pick but I think Whitehead might be the bigger factor if he chooses UCLA.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
If there are spots in the rotation to be filled there's always the transfer portal. Not for the 8th guy on the team but the 5th or 6th guy.

Well my money would be on him doing just that. Moore might return and he’s the only one I’d hold my breath on .
Moore just gives me vibes as one of those rare 4 years guys. Keep in mind he's a junior and just turned 20, so he's young for that 2019 class. He looks to have an outstanding relationship with Jon so hopefully word from within is there's a great chance hes coming back and that's why Mitchell is leaning elsewhere.

Moore just gives me vibes as one of those rare 4 years guys. Keep in mind he's a junior and just turned 20, so he's young for that 2019 class. He looks to have an outstanding relationship with Jon so hopefully word from within is there's a great chance hes coming back and that's why Mitchell is leaning elsewhere.
Moore is just now showing glimpses of why he was an early first round pic the beginning of his freshman year. He comes back and works on his shot more he’s an easy first rounder.
Really don’t think Moore would effect Mitchell. He’s a small forward and Moore plays mainly at the two. Like stated Whitehead would effect him more but then again Mitchell can play pf and Duke will be thin in the front court

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT