ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GEORGIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Game recap.

Six observations.

A difficult decision for player of the game.

After the miracle 3 there was a series of possessions where we either needed a stop (which for the most part we didn't get) or we needed to respond to regain the small lead (which we got). I was glad to see during those possessions that we didn't go after a dagger 3, but rather played tough and took the ball to the hoop, leading to and 1s or high percentage shots. Smart tough ball down the stretch and we were thankfully rewarded

We did miss some wide open 3’s and struggled at times but beat a much older experienced team with good guards that could shoot. Let’s see if our guys build on that confidence. I hope Williams gets more run and maybe a start or two.

I suspect we will be 3-4 PT favorite vs Clemson.

Really looks like a bookie trap game. I mean really, Duke favored by 6???!!!

OFC

And Duke indeed won by 7. Hope a lot of you didn't get sucked into taking Tech + the 6 with your book.That was just a hunch my late dad told me about. When a betting line looks TOO GOOD....OFC

Thrilled to get the win! Loved the inspired play from Mark! OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
If Mark Williams emerges I don't think it can be understated how big that would be. All he has to be is solid for 15 minutes a game. This team is improving, but will it be enough to make the tournament? We may need to reach the ACC finals. Johnson should continue to get better, Steward is a gamer. Roach is struggling; he could be a year away but you have to think he'll play better as the season goes on.

To me this game came down to much more intense defense. I felt bad for the team when they had a great defensive series and the 3 point heave went in. We deserved better. Also when the 3 went high in the air and right down into the basket although Hurt had a similar 2 pointer go through. Duke's resilience after those plays were reflections of its coach: next play!

JJ disappointed me with getting his pocket picked, twice, by Alvarado. Once OK, but you can't let it happen twice.

If one of those 2 wide open 3s (Hurt and Steward) had gone down, we all could have breathed easier. Leaves room for improvement though.

Duke will need to string together 2 or 3 good games for me to believe they have turned the corner. Clemson is a good start and then we have those Cheaters down the road looming as well. A good time to come together as a team.

That’s a little better. We just gotta get the ball out of Goldwire hands so much. We need Jalen to attack more. Give him the ball at the elbow and let him face up. He could score or facilitate from that area.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I say let jalen play PG....roach isn't cutting it now and goldwire isn't the answer either

People always complain that K never lets the young guys play through struggles so they can develop. I think K should continue to give Roach plenty of minutes to work through this period in which he is not playing well and hopefully it will pay big dividends later in the season and into next season.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
If Roach just finds some way to help the team other than taking 3 pointers, he would get 15-20 min. a game. Play better defense. Keep moving on offense. Set screens. Take 15 foot shots. Just be a positive force. Doesn't have to be a star. DJ and J-Gold are not guaranteed to have a good game every time out.

People always complain that K never lets the young guys play through struggles so they can develop. I think K should continue to give Roach plenty of minutes to work through this period in which he is not playing well and hopefully it will pay big dividends later in the season and into next season.

If we were 9-2 not 6-5 I may agree, but right now we need a guard who can help us score and Roach is liability on both ends with his play. We cant afford to the luxury of letting him play through it.

If we were 9-2 not 6-5 I may agree, but right now we need a guard who can help us score and Roach is liability on both ends with his play. We cant afford to the luxury of letting him play through it.
I get what you’re saying, and I’m not suggesting he play 20+ minutes a game, but a kid improves better by playing. It’s a catch 22.

We're 6-5 for a lot of reasons not just Roach, and that includes Jalen Johnson's propensity for not protecting the basketball and committing a lot of turnovers, two things you don't want from a primary ball handler. Also, Roach and Johnson play at the same time for many minutes in a game. If you are suggesting that Johnson actually take Roach's minutes at PG so that we have "a guard who can help us score" keep in mind what that might mean for the rest of the lineup. Would we have Johnson, Goldwire, Steward, Moore, and Hurt? In which case we wouldn't be any better off. Johnson, Goldwire, Steward, Brakefield, and Hurt? Brakefield was a scorer for a while but like Roach is going through a rough patch. Even Johnson has had a string of games where he was a liability on both ends of the floor.

My point is, we're 6-5 because we have a lot of young guys who are and will go through struggles. We can take Roach out and replace him with another guy and either not solve the problem you think it would solve or create new problems. It can certainly be an in-game adjustment where we go with the guys that are playing the best in that game, Coach K is great at this, but I don't think it would be beneficial to bench Roach or significantly reduce his minutes in the main rotation ever game in favor of Johnson at point (who, again, is turnover prone). Not to mention that taking Johnson away from the basket and making him run the team takes him away from what he does best for this team. He's not a particularly good outside shooter. We need him working inside and getting on the boards.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Roach through the first 5 games of ACC play was giving us good minutes, (his play at VT was some of his best all season), and he has now clearly hit a wall. The last two games his stat lines have left something to be desired. Against Louisville: 26 minutes, 0 pts, 0-3 FG, 0-2 3-pt, 4 REB, 2 AST, 2 TO, 0 BLK, 0 STL, and 4 PF. GT game: 16 minutes, 0 Pts, 0-3 FG, 0-3 3PT, 1 REB, 0 AST, 1 STL, 0 BLK, 2 TO, and 3 PF. If he scores his usual 10-12 points against Louisville, we win. He had another rough outing on both sides of the ball last night. Thankfully, Goldwire and Steward were both on. His defense hasn't been the best of late and I cringe every time I see him take a 3 lately. He should be driving more to the basket. I'd love to see him take more of those mid-range jumpers we saw from him earlier in the ACC season. I mean, right now I feel better with Goldwire initiating the offense and taking shots, than I do Roach. And as much as I love J-Gold, that's not a recipe for success long term. We need Roach to get over his funk. It seems this team can never get everyone going well at the same time. I'd love to see it happen, and soon, especially if it could happen by Feb 6th.

Seeing Coach K and the team celebrate on the sideline in the closing moments was amazing.

Just shows how much the coaching staff and this group care about winning. Despite what some here would say, this team has shown that they hate losing and are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

Reactions: hart2chesson
We're 6-5 for a lot of reasons not just Roach, and that includes Jalen Johnson's propensity for not protecting the basketball and committing a lot of turnovers, two things you don't want from a primary ball handler. Also, Roach and Johnson play at the same time for many minutes in a game. If you are suggesting that Johnson actually take Roach's minutes at PG so that we have "a guard who can help us score" keep in mind what that might mean for the rest of the lineup. Would we have Johnson, Goldwire, Steward, Moore, and Hurt? In which case we wouldn't be any better off. Johnson, Goldwire, Steward, Brakefield, and Hurt? Brakefield was a scorer for a while but like Roach is going through a rough patch. Even Johnson has had a string of games where he was a liability on both ends of the floor.

My point is, we're 6-5 because we have a lot of young guys who are and will go through struggles. We can take Roach out and replace him with another guy and either not solve the problem you think it would solve or create new problems. It can certainly be an in-game adjustment where we go with the guys that are playing the best in that game, Coach K is great at this, but I don't think it would be beneficial to bench Roach or significantly reduce his minutes in the main rotation ever game in favor of Johnson at point (who, again, is turnover prone). Not to mention that taking Johnson away from the basket and making him run the team takes him away from what he does best for this team. He's not a particularly good outside shooter. We need him working inside and getting on the boards.
You don't have to play him at the top of the key like a traditional point guard. You let him be the primary initiator for the team. He needs to touch the ball every possession in a spot where he can either make a play for himself or his teammate. He makes the right pass majority of the time. He can initiate from the elbow. It would be harder for people to help on his drives then

Just shows how much the coaching staff and this group care about winning. Despite what some here would say, this team has shown that they hate losing and are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
At this level every athlete cares about winning. The coaching staff has just been mediocre this year. I would be happy if I were them too. I've been failing this team all season and I finally snap a losing streak

At this level every athlete cares about winning. The coaching staff has just been mediocre this year. I would be happy if I were them too. I've been failing this team all season and I finally snap a losing streak

Why are you so damn negative all the time? I mean, how miserable that must be to feel that way all the time.

You don't have to play him at the top of the key like a traditional point guard. You let him be the primary initiator for the team. He needs to touch the ball every possession in a spot where he can either make a play for himself or his teammate. He makes the right pass majority of the time. He can initiate from the elbow. It would be harder for people to help on his drives then
Oh yeah, for sure, use him more as a point-forward which is kind of what his role is right now, or at least it appears to be shaping up that way. The post I initially responded to was suggesting for him to be the point guard instead of Roach (or Goldwire for that matter). I'm in favor of the offense flowing through him and having him initiate from different spots and being able to lead a fastbreak. I just disagree with the notion that he should be the point guard and Roach's minutes should get cut permanently. I think Roach could be valuable in March and we need to let him work through this low point and hopefully he'll get back to attacking the basket and scoring the ball like he did at Virginia Tech.

It's not my fault you only follow my critiques of the staff. I don't blame the players. I blame the staff. My first post on this thread was "That was better".

That's the one time I've seen you state something positive. Once. 99% of your posts are negative man. It just gets old.

For as sketchy as the play has been this season, we could easily have three more wins with a couple breaks swinging our way. I don’t think it would make us a better team, but we’d have a better record.

A lot of times when teams struggle it’s fair to question chemistry and continuity. We saw it in both 2017 and 2018 where maybe not everything was as aligned as it needed be. With this group that doesn’t seem to be the issue. All reports suggest this group is pretty tight with one another, and I think we see that on the sideline.

I think the bench was excited last night not just because of the win, but because maybe a monkey was off their back. We got a few key stops, made some key answers and picked up a win over a veteran-laden team. It doesn’t change a lot, but it’s a step in the right direction.

That's the one time I've seen you state something positive. Once. 99% of your posts are negative man. It just gets old.
You must be new. But you’re coach K son like you stated before so you only see when I comment on the staff. It’ll be ok. Until they make changes we will lose to actually good teams.

I say let jalen play PG....roach isn't cutting it now and goldwire isn't the answer either
I’m not sure I agree. JJ makes too many TO’s to be our PG. But I agree with you, neither Goldwire nor Jeremy have been effective. I really miss Tre.

He don't make more mistakes than roach...and he is actually a threat to score
I agree that Jalen is and probably would be the best PG on this team. It would be a fun thing to see the rest of the season, see how it works out. Having said that, i personally wouldn’t do it. I don’t think this team has any chance of making a run, so with that being said, I’d let Jeremy just play through the growing pains and have the experience this year pay off next year.

I agree that Jalen is and probably would be the best PG on this team. It would be a fun thing to see the rest of the season, see how it works out. Having said that, i personally wouldn’t do it. I don’t think this team has any chance of making a run, so with that being said, I’d let Jeremy just play through the growing pains and have the experience this year pay off next year.

True...never thought of it that way

I agree. Let's make the best out of a rebuilding year, one we didn't quite expect, but one we are clearly experiencing. Celebrate the wins and successes this year. Let them play. Anything could happen, but let's get our young players some experience, maybe having them come back next year a little hungry wouldn't be a bad thing.

Williams showed a lot of potential last night. Our young guards will come around. Wendell needs the right supporting cast around him to explode.

All in due time.

I agree. Let's make the best out of a rebuilding year, one we didn't quite expect, but one we are clearly experiencing. Celebrate the wins and successes this year. Let them play. Anything could happen, but let's get our young players some experience, maybe having them come back next year a little hungry wouldn't be a bad thing.

Williams showed a lot of potential last night. Our young guards will come around. Wendell needs the right supporting cast around him to explode.

All in due time.
The adversity they go through this year will serve them all well. Anything “could happen” but more realistically, we know what is right, and that’s building towards 21-22. All the pain and anguish we go through this year will serve us well next year. Sucks for Matt and Jalen, and i feel for them, but that’s reality.

I think someone probably takes a flyer on Hurt hoping he develops into something like Dirk, but right now he just doesn’t create enough of a mismatch on offense to warrant the liability he would be on defense.

I don’t think anyone has said he would go in the first round. Tbh I’m not sure he will be drafted. But i don’t expect him back.

If they tell you that you aren't likely to get drafted why would you leave? Overseas? He could do that any year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT