ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I think we loose at Virginia win at the Cuse. This team just has me worried. I don’t put to much stock in this game as the bench of Florida State pushed them in the first half with out one starter.
FSU didn’t exactly pull some of these guys from the local rec league. Fletcher Cleveland and Warley are all future pros I’d wager.

The first bracket reveal of the top 16 teams in the country was earlier today. If the tournament started today, this is what the committee thinks it would look like.

West (San Fran):
1) Gonzaga
8) Duke
12) Illinois
16) Texas

Midwest (Chicago):
2) Auburn
7) Purdue
10) Texas Tech
14) UCLA

South (San Antonio):
3) Arizona
5) Baylor
11) Tennessee
15) Providence

East (Philly):
4) Kansas
6) Kentucky
9) Villanova
13) Wisconsin

Personally, I would prefer Duke to land in the East. If not the East, then anywhere but the West.

Thoughts on the reveal at this point in the season?

With that draw we'd have to beat Illinois and Gonzaga to reach the FF. They could do it, but you never know with this team. It would be like a home game for the Zags. I'd rather be a 2 and get Auburn, Kansas or Arizona. If Kentucky moves up to a one the committee may put us together if they are able. I would assume Kentucky moves to the one line with their win and Auburn's loss.

Last edited:
I believe that the East Regional is in Philadelphia. Duke has the inside track on the ACC regular season. If Duke wins the regular season and ACC Tournament, I suspect that they will be in the East. It doesn't matter if Duke is a 1, 2 or 3 in the East. The crowd will be with Duke in Krzyzewski's final year unless the opponent is Villanova

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Not good. FSU had 5 guys out, all starters. Was a 2 point game with about 3-4 minutes left in the first half.
Team just can’t play a complete game.
And up 11 with 0 minutes to go in the half 😂 tell the whole story Channel 9 📰

And up 11 with 0 minutes to go in the half 😂 tell the whole story Channel 9 📰
Ipsy, put the emojis down and slowly back away. Hamilton had 5 starters out. Five. I repeat, five.
This Duke team has a lot of talent. But, they struggle to play solid for both halves. Been our story all season.

Btw, did I mention they had 5 starters out?

Didn't realize pregame thst fsu had that many starters out. Still a comfortable win and at the end of the day, we are 23-4

Reactions: Quavarius
Damn, could've sworn we won last night. Guess not reading the doom n gloom here.
I’ll have to watch the game - we have lost only 4 games by 9 points even playing soft sometimes.

I noticed Keels is starting at point again. That alone concerns me. The offense seems to stall when he’s the primary handler.....aka he’s the “vacuum”.

Map props to Joey Baker! I’ve been on him all season and he deserves recognition! THATS what he’s supposed to do when he comes in. Now he doesn’t need to always knock down four 3 pointers in a short amount of time (it would be appreciated, tho) but providing some extra offense off the bench when our starters are in foul trouble or struggling will make us very potent on offense. Bates will also get his confidence back. With games at UVA and Syracuse up next (packline and 2/3 zone), both should feast on those defenses!

I’ll have to watch the game - we have lost only 4 games by 9 points even playing soft sometimes.

I noticed Keels is starting at point again. That alone concerns me. The offense seems to stall when he’s the primary handler.....aka he’s the “vacuum”.
Roach had 0 points, so who should we play at point? OFC

FSU didn’t exactly pull some of these guys from the local rec league. Fletcher Cleveland and Warley are all future pros I’d wager.
Coming off the bench maybe ! My point is there were walk ons in helping the second unit of Florida St. had their starters played with the way their second unit played this wasn’t no 18 point win.
not to mention Duke had nine turnovers in the first half and were getting killed with points in the paint. I do think Florida state got worn down but once again because they were without five starters.

Damn, could've sworn we won last night. Guess not reading the doom n gloom here.
That’s because define a win ? I watched the entire game and Florida St was with out five starters . A Duke win should have never been in question but you wouldn’t have thought that the first 16 minutes of the first half.
Duke also didn’t put a single walk on in or Blake’s until 55.6 seconds left in the game which tells me K was worried about this team not finishing out games with a big lead. They beat a healthy Virginia in Virginia and I’ll say this team is improving

Roach had 0 points, so who should we play at point? OFC
I guess you’ve missed my previous posts about Roach being disrupted when keels is back....

when keels was out 3 games, Roach moved himself into 2nd in ACC in A:TO ratio, and he ran the team pretty well, better than keels has. He averaged an 8:1 A:TO ratio, avg 8 points a game, played nearly 115 minutes in those games and Duke won all 3 including 2 road games. Again keels is a vacuum. Others stand around when he gets the ball as generally he will either try to drive through a crowd, bulldozing to the basket, or he will take a three. I like keels as a player but the offensive dynamic negatively changes in half court with him running things.

Last edited:
Ipsy, put the emojis down and slowly back away. Hamilton had 5 starters out. Five. I repeat, five.
This Duke team has a lot of talent. But, they struggle to play solid for both halves. Been our story all season.

Btw, did I mention they had 5 starters out?
It’s also Florida state…who goes 9 10 11 deep, long and athletic on the norm…Did i mention we won, were up by 11 at the half without PB and Mark the majority of the half, shot poorly, they shot 60%, we won by 18, and played our most COMPLETE game of the year yet? Just enjoy the ride and stop whining. :)

Reactions: Quavarius
I guess you’ve missed my previous posts about Roach being disrupted when keels is back....

when keels was out 3 games, Roach moved himself into 2nd in ACC in A:TO ratio, and he ran the team pretty well, better than keels has. He averaged an 8:1 A:TO ratio, avg 8 points a game, played nearly 115 minutes in those games and Duke won all 3 including 2 road games. Again keels is a vacuum. Others stand around when he gets the ball as generally he will either try to drive through a crowd, bulldozing to the basket, or he will take a three. I like keels as a player but the offensive dynamic negatively changes in half court with him running things.
I agree Fourteen44 the offense seems to flow better and have been ball movement when Roach is the primary ball handler and Moore is the secondary ball handler.

Come on man, you know grown ass adults expect perfection from college kids! Perfection = 50 point win. Is it really a win if it’s less than by 50 points?

Reactions: QC Dukie
If Roach could shoot better, he'd get more minutes. Keels is shooting better and not turning the ball over and he's being rewarded with more touches.

Still wish we could get a whole game out of Banchero. He got his points when the game was pretty much decided. His scoring line looks better than it should.

Still, FSU shot well the first 10 minutes and then faded. We'll learn a lot about this team at UVA.

Reactions: sheyduke
Roach will be able to truly show if he's good enough next year. He will be handed the keys To run the program. No excuses next year

Come on man, you know grown ass adults expect perfection from college kids! Perfection = 50 point win. Is it really a win if it’s less than by 50 points?
No what they expect is mistakes corrected. First 16 minutes I didn’t see that. I saw 24 points in the paint to Dukes 14. I saw four turnovers to Dukes 9 . I saw nothing that suggest they are turning the corner at the right time .
yeah Duke won by 18 . However it needs to be taken into consideration that Florida St was with out five starters that account for 46 points a game.
I don’t want to see Florida st again this year healthy . Duke simply wore them down.

Good luck dealing with the vultures here. I don’t have the energy to do it much any more.

Reactions: QC Dukie
I’m just laughing at people choosing keels because “he shoots better”. Forget the fact that dukes offense is stagnant when he runs the team 😂. Oh and keels shoots a whopping 1% better from 3!

We handled our business. Now if we can win at Virginia and at Syracuse I think that will show the team has matured and grown. Syracuse just lost their center so we should be able to win that one, but they usually play well at home against us. Virginia will be tough but I think we win that one too. We have experience against their defense.

Ya not a fan of the offense running through Keels. Ill take the much more free flowing offense we had when Roach and Wendell were our 1 and 2 ball handlers.

Too much stagnant hero ISO ball with Keels as our primary guy. Plus his jumper is trash off the bounce, but is a pretty solid shooter off the catch and shoot. Roach showed when he was handed the keys to the offense that while ya he isnt the biggest threat to score, he was running the offense beautifully. I wish we would go back to that starting lineup and have Keels come off the bench and primarily in a catch and shoot role.

One of these scoring droughts that we see more often with the Keels lead offense is going to bite us come tournament time.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I like Roach and think he helps our squad. I'm really excited for him with next years freshman heavy class.

No what they expect is mistakes corrected. First 16 minutes I didn’t see that. I saw 24 points in the paint to Dukes 14. I saw four turnovers to Dukes 9 . I saw nothing that suggest they are turning the corner at the right time .
yeah Duke won by 18 . However it needs to be taken into consideration that Florida St was with out five starters that account for 46 points a game.
I don’t want to see Florida st again this year healthy . Duke simply wore them down.
Well it's a good thing the game was 40 minutes, and not 16. I'm not positive, but I think the rest of our games may also be 40 minutes. Damn dude, RELAX. We get it, you're not happy with how we played and you think we should have absolutely murdered them because of who was out. Yes, we had some struggles, but we also did some things really well. I agree that there are some important areas to work on, but you are beating this one to the ground.

FSU showed how to create the scoring droughts we have every game...make us a jump shooting team. We dont have the penetration off the dribble to get to the basket late in the clock so we settle for outside jumpers...and at times we miss 6, 7 or 8 in a row...against more athletic teams this could mean trouble. The guard debate of Roach/Keels is interesting although neither has shown the consistency to run the team effectively for 80 mins or in consecutive games..they both go AOL at times.

FSU showed how to create the scoring droughts we have every game...make us a jump shooting team. We dont have the penetration off the dribble to get to the basket late in the clock so we settle for outside jumpers...and at times we miss 6, 7 or 8 in a row...against more athletic teams this could mean trouble. The guard debate of Roach/Keels is interesting although neither has shown the consistency to run the team effectively for 80 mins or in consecutive games..they both go AOL at times.
Roach did it three games in a row, well, while Keels was out.....

Well it's a good thing the game was 40 minutes, and not 16. I'm not positive, but I think the rest of our games may also be 40 minutes. Damn dude, RELAX. We get it, you're not happy with how we played and you think we should have absolutely murdered them because of who was out. Yes, we had some struggles, but we also did some things really well. I agree that there are some important areas to work on, but you are beating this one to the ground.
I’m not mad so you relax I’m stating the issues that have remained all season with this team. I only had Duke winning by eight I didn’t expect them to win by double digits especially after the wake game . I’m not beating anything to the ground except if you think this team has turned a corner after this game your setting yourself up for a let down. Now should they go into Virginia and play like a top ten team and win I’ll say they figured some things out.
This also isn’t November it’s coming to the end of February. There are only so many games I think three before the conference tourney so not a whole lot of ,” we got time to figure things out!” Left in the season .

I’m not mad so you relax I’m stating the issues that have remained all season with this team. I only had Duke winning by eight I didn’t expect them to win by double digits especially after the wake game . I’m not beating anything to the ground except if you think this team has turned a corner after this game your setting yourself up for a let down. Now should they go into Virginia and play like a top ten team and win I’ll say they figured some things out.
This also isn’t November it’s coming to the end of February. There are only so many games I think three before the conference tourney so not a whole lot of ,” we got time to figure things out!” Left in the season .
Do you think we closed out the game better?

Do you think we closed out the game better?
I think they cleaned up the turnovers and the points being allowed in the paint. I also think Duke just wore their second unit and two walk ons down.
Virginia is going to play physical and tight defense . Would like to see Paolo take on the double teams and dish out to big mark or the open man.
Also less driving into a double team on offense creating silly turnovers. Stopping Clark as the floor general will be key as well.

Combined record of those 3 teams: 38-41 (Syracuse; Clemson; Louisville). Lost game in which Keels was hurt and did not finish (FSU).
And your point? Those teams are capable of knocking any team off, especially this Duke team. Yikes.

and btw they lost a close game in OT at FSU (who wasn’t crushed with injuries). Each played 29 minutes:

Keels 2 ast/3 TO 9 points
Roach 6 ast/1 TO 6 points

IIRC from this board Duke struggled somewhat at home with a depleted FSU team just a few days ago (with Keels running things).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT