ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS CLEMSON OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

In response to Clemons antics.....

Nothing pisses off more then punk a$$ teams slapping the floor in Dukes face! That is straight up punking our guys..... They needed to take that WAYYYYY more personal. Emotion was missing last night.

that didnt bother me so much, but the bow and arrow gestures after making 3's was annoying, but i get it, they were excited

K stood up and said foul the sec they crossed half court I looked to see cuz I was shocked they hadn't. And the people around me were too

I don't think you foul immediately. There was still a lot of time on the clock. I give my defense a chance to create a turnover, but once they cross halfcourt then I go the foul route. That still leaves you 25-30 seconds.

Again....K and the staff were calling for the team to foul but somewhere along the line there was miscommunication. I think they wanted to play defense to see if they could disrupt Clemson enough into turning it over in the backcourt. Once Clemson crossed the timeline the staff was asking for a foul.
Here's what I saw just now on the replay:
8 seconds or so ticked off the clock before the ball was advanced past mid court, maybe more, and no one was pressuring the ball to try and create a turnover, the coaches gave the players the lay back signal. Up until 28 seconds left, no coaches were signalling to foul (you can see them on camera still). It should have been apparent right away to the coaches to say "go for the steal" or "foul," but they realized it 15 seconds in to our final 35.8 seconds, then Grayson was thinking back to when the coaches told him not to foul 10 minutes prior and froze.

It actually looks like Luke is looking at the bench with 20 seconds left and throws his hands up looking for directions and then with 18 left he quickly darts over to foul. That's 17 seconds wasted, and it was the coaches' fault. They clearly (K, Capel and Scheyer) signaled to lay back with 33 seconds to go.

I'm sure they would admit to this mistake. And I'm sure it won't happen again.

Last edited:
In response to Clemons antics.....

Nothing pisses off more then punk a$$ teams slapping the floor in Dukes face! That is straight up punking our guys..... They needed to take that WAYYYYY more personal. Emotion was missing last night.
If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure we got a Plumlee dunk on that possession, which is about the best response you can have to someone slapping the floor. Also, you have to be able to take a little of your own medicine.

went to the game as i live here in greenville now. we had great seats. got to see coach and team really well. about as bad a second half as i have seen Duke play. failure to convert FT's on the road always portends a poor outcome. also some stupid fouls by marshal.

also the 3rd foul on Ingram before the half was a killer. kept him on the bench for too long in the second half. that kid can lead this team, but needs to be in the game. hopefully, a good learning experience.

overall the team seemed to lack their usual energy, was surprised grayson wasn't taking it to the hoop more often.

hopefully we rebound this weekend.

Just to clarify, Luke did that because Duke coaches were signalling to foul, but Grayson was like a deer in headlights with 4 fouls. It was a heads up play by Luke to realize what was happening. The real mistake was Duke coaches not calling for a foul immediately with 38 seconds on the clock. They screwed up, plain and simple.

I thought we were only down 1 or 2 points. Why couldn't we play straight up and get a stop? Why did we have to foul? Am I missing something?

I thought we were only down 1 or 2 points. Why couldn't we play straight up and get a stop? Why did we have to foul? Am I missing something?
Because there was a 5.8 second differential. You could wait that out and jack up a shot to the rafters at the shot clock and pretty much guarantee we're scrambling, not to mention we gave up tons of offensive boards. Plus, Clemson sucks at FTs and we're awesome at 3pts.

Sat next to a very nice older couple who had season passes to Clemson for 42 years. The foul situation killed us when we went zone they picked us a part. Clemson is not bad as the winning streak they are on proves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT