ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any potential transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not ready to call any incoming PG the next Jason Williams. However, I will concede that Frank's "style" does remind me a lot of Russell Westbrook (obviously at a different level.) The strange thing is Westbrook put up average numbers at UCLA (3.4 points as a frosh, 12.7 as a sophomore) I definitely expect Frank to eclipse those numbers.
Believe me I trend lightly with the Jason williams comparison as he's my favorite duke player ever. With that said he isn't quite as quick or have quite the handles jwill had but I think his shot is ahead, he's got the size advantage as well. The comparison comes from I'm pretty sure Jwill played a lot of SG in highschool and had a bit of transition to PG late in his HS career because he knew that was his long term position. I think Frank is the new Modern big athletic NBA PG. It will be a transition, but one that's exciting to watch.

Yes, I don't think Keeley would say what she said without some solid info about DT. With that said, JWill's comments were pretty encouraging about Grayson IMO -- i.e., when talking about how loaded Duke would be next year, reciting a list of returning players that includes Grayson (while wholly omitting DT). Certainly nothing definitive; but I don't think he'd have included Grayson in that list if people inside the program thought he were leaving -- particularly since it seems like he did go out of his way to intentionally omit DT and BI.
That's encouraging... also is interesting that NBA draftnet has pulled Grayson off their 2016 board and put him on the 2017 draft board.

I am not too worried about Frank shooting too much when he shouldn't. With Giles and Tatum, and possible Allen, K would not tolerate Frank taking unwarranted shots. If you get yanked, you can't shoot. And, with the depth Duke will have next year, being yanked is an option. Additionally, watching Giles and Tatum, it appears they are both good passers who are more than willing to set up their teammates. Just like Allen and Ingram this year, I see those guys sending lots of easy dunks Amile's way and kicking out for 3's. Someone mentioned Avery a ways back. He wasn't pass first, but his teams did pretty damn well.

laura k is a reliable source. most of the time she is spot on.

IF GA returns - that would be awesome. our starting 5 would be good and we would go 8-9 deep.

I would hate for Capel to leave, but if he gets offered a HC job I understand why he'd take it.

Thornton leaving is absurd. He has a solid handle but the kid came in early and has a chance to be the starting PG. But, he does not know, yet, how to create with the basketball. He didn't get many assists - especially off of drives. And, he's not a good shooter either. His hope for any basketball future is to know how to create shots.

Kids that come in and think they are God's Gift - are always a problem. Very unfortunate.

I would surprised if Thornton leaving is anything more than being home sick. And if that's the case, I completely understand. Would love to see him stay though. He had a really poor first year but I see him becoming a very good player as he matures more and learns the system.

Reactions: youngman42
dat. someone said something to the effect of, "are we listening to some cute reporter," in regards to frank jackson being inked, not penciled into the starting lineup as pg next year. i was just saying she is not that cute. however, she is a duke beat reporter and has a pretty good understanding of the program.

dat. someone said something to the effect of, "are we listening to some cute reporter," in regards to frank jackson being inked, not penciled into the starting lineup as pg next year. i was just saying she is not that cute. however, she is a duke beat reporter and has a pretty good understanding of the program.

Not everybody appreciates humor.

It shouldn't be the go-to with women in every context, audi. She's a professional.

Is that how you want the women in your life judged, crank?

Noticing and noting how women look may be natural; broadcasting it might make you a bit rude. Defending it almost definitely puts you in that category. It's right up there with, "...my friend -- who is BLACK, by the way -- also switched from Sprint to Verizon."

Last edited:
Reactions: bob_duke_jd
So a few of you brought a woman's looks into a discussion where they are completely irrelevant. I pointed out that it's irrelevant and that we don't do it to men. There's nothing more to say and I have no need to brow-beat anyone over it, but if people want to get defensive and indignant over some PC strawman oppressing your freedom of speech, it's likely to get ugly.

Is that how you want the women in your life judged, crank?

Noticing and noting how women look may be natural; broadcasting it might make you a bit of a d-bag. Defending it almost definitely puts you in that category. It's right up there with, "...my friend -- who is BLACK, by the way -- also switched from Sprint to Verizon."
It was obviously a joke man. I don't know why you still act this way 10+ years into this message board.

I am confident if you were on a health message board with mostly women and one of them said to another "Do you believe what Dr. OZ is saying because he knows his stuff or because he is hot", you wouldn't have thought twice about it. Time to stop challenging everything everyone says on a message board to build your self-esteem by showing off your debate skills.

See? That's exactly the crap I was talking about, dahntay. Say it was a joke if you must, then move on. But no, you have to double-down on the boorishness, defending and therefore conflating pretty minor sexism into something worse. You get corrected for something minor and accept it, you're gracious, secure, and thoughtful. You puff your chest out and defend minor inappropriateness and suddenly you just became entitled and selfish.

It's pretty clear you started your post in knee-jerk fashion, without truly hearing what I said, dahntay, based on your hand-wringing hyperbole about "10 years" and a personal attack about my self-esteem. I validated the natural instinct to note what women look like. I stated that it shouldn't be inserted into every discussion. I even warned about exactly what you did next, stepping in it right up to your chin. How lacking in self-awareness do you have to be to make my prediction so prophetic, dahntay?

Last edited:
So you have an issue with my post? If so, why? I haven't berated anyone, and it's not outta line.
Yes, I do. Can you handle that? Is it okay if one person on the entire board disagrees with you?

I'm not sure why you need to ask why. I thought I was clear. I'm willing to go into further detail if necessary, but just remember that if someone tries to turn around and act as if a detailed response was the first thing I threw down here and wants to act like I'm so over-the-top when my first two comments were, "I don't know what that has to do with anything. Is Jay Bilas cute?" and "It shouldn't be the go-to with women in every context, audi. She's a professional." I'll elaborate b/c you asked, not b/c I'm going overboard. I'll be thorough b/c you asked, not b/c I'm going overboard.

It's not appropriate for a woman's looks to be the first thing that comes up in every single situation. Period. It shouldn't come up second, third, or ever in certain situations. It has nothing to do w/ some strawman about being all PC and not letting red-blooded 'Murican men be who they are. Yeah, we all like looking at attractive women. When Bilas is commenting on a game, we respond to his content, including critical responses where we think he is trying too hard to appear neutral by withholding warranted compliments from Duke. If Doris Burke is commenting on a game, our responses should also be to the content, not to what she looks like. And that's on TV, which is all about visuals, so it would be more appropriate to mention it then and it still isn't.

It is entirely appropriate to mention it -- briefly, as I did -- when it is such an occasion. Defending that as if any random opinion is always appropriate no matter what raises the stakes. Where brief, mild admonitions are dismissed or argued against, it escalates.

So do we have any potential transfers?
Yeah, seriously. Geez. Some people act as if it's some huge assault on their freedom that they can't say whatever they want w/o dissent.
Let's move on, back to the slightly more appropriate topic of predicting departures before they're announced and saying "good riddance."

Only thing I've heard is Obi "retiring". I'm sure Derryck is still a possibility but will take his time in thinking it through.
The Derryck rumor came on so fast and strong a few days ago... it's a little encouraging that nothing more has come out since that.

If a guy doesn't want to be here, he should leave, and I let go of it pretty quickly, but it's still not a situation I'm happy with. Nolan Smith needed a pep talk about returning after his soph year, after all. And any time a guy chooses Duke... then chooses to leave Duke, it's a sign that things didn't go the way he or we wanted. No one's fault, necessarily, but it's unfortunate. Strategically speaking, it doesn't look too good for the program, either, though obviously there are far more great things outweighing it. It wasn't long ago that Roy was killing it in recruiting, and UNC could point to a deep rotation and our short bench and transfers as legit leverage against us. Things have gone much better for us since '09, though, so transfers are hurts, but small hurts.

Ideally, Sean Obi will get healthy, get in shape, and be a valuable post player -- the legendary "bruiser" -- over his last two years here. As it stands, his health is a huge concern, and if it results in his "retirement," not only might that be the best thing for his quality of life, like, for his entire life, but it will be a roster spot that opens up where we weren't getting much production observable to fans.

One last thing about transfers: Michael Gbinije just completed the best college career of any player who has ever transferred out of Duke. Word I heard on it was that he did not have any intentions of transferring following the '11-'12 season... until message boards started blowing up with rumors of it, which got back to him, which somehow pushed his hand. I don't know the exact mental process that led to that result, but that's what I heard. Maybe it caused him to question, doubt, or become suspicious of his role and hope of contributing here. While I hope we can return to the topic of this thread now, we should still be careful about pushing a guy out the door based on our speculation, etc.

The Derryck rumor came on so fast and strong a few days ago... it's a little encouraging that nothing more has come out since that.

If a guy doesn't want to be here, he should leave, and I let go of it pretty quickly, but it's still not a situation I'm happy with. Nolan Smith needed a pep talk about returning after his soph year, after all. And any time a guy chooses Duke... then chooses to leave Duke, it's a sign that things didn't go the way he or we wanted. No one's fault, necessarily, but it's unfortunate. Strategically speaking, it doesn't look too good for the program, either, though obviously there are far more great things outweighing it. It wasn't long ago that Roy was killing it in recruiting, and UNC could point to a deep rotation and our short bench and transfers as legit leverage against us. Things have gone much better for us since '09, though, so transfers are hurts, but small hurts.

Ideally, Sean Obi will get healthy, get in shape, and be a valuable post player -- the legendary "bruiser" -- over his last two years here. As it stands, his health is a huge concern, and if it results in his "retirement," not only might that be the best thing for his quality of life, like, for his entire life, but it will be a roster spot that opens up where we weren't getting much production observable to fans.

One last thing about transfers: Michael Gbinije just completed the best college career of any player who has ever transferred out of Duke. Word I heard on it was that he did not have any intentions of transferring following the '11-'12 season... until message boards started blowing up with rumors of it, which got back to him, which somehow pushed his hand. I don't know the exact mental process that led to that result, but that's what I heard. Maybe it caused him to question, doubt, or become suspicious of his role and hope of contributing here. While I hope we can return to the topic of this thread now, we should still be careful about pushing a guy out the door based on our speculation, etc.
I think if a player is pushed over the edge by message boards, he was fairly close to a foot out the door anyway...JMO...

I may be remembering wrong, but when word got out about silent G transferring, message boards were littered with people wanting him to stay. So if word got back to him, why would it have steered him to transfer? Unless he got the Idea to transfer because of rumors on a message board?

Reactions: harttochesson
Yes, I do. Can you handle that? Is it okay if one person on the entire board disagrees with you?

I'm not sure why you need to ask why. I thought I was clear. I'm willing to go into further detail if necessary, but just remember that if someone tries to turn around and act as if a detailed response was the first thing I threw down here and wants to act like I'm so over-the-top when my first two comments were, "I don't know what that has to do with anything. Is Jay Bilas cute?" and "It shouldn't be the go-to with women in every context, audi. She's a professional." I'll elaborate b/c you asked, not b/c I'm going overboard. I'll be thorough b/c you asked, not b/c I'm going overboard.

It's not appropriate for a woman's looks to be the first thing that comes up in every single situation. Period. It shouldn't come up second, third, or ever in certain situations. It has nothing to do w/ some strawman about being all PC and not letting red-blooded 'Murican men be who they are. Yeah, we all like looking at attractive women. When Bilas is commenting on a game, we respond to his content, including critical responses where we think he is trying too hard to appear neutral by withholding warranted compliments from Duke. If Doris Burke is commenting on a game, our responses should also be to the content, not to what she looks like. And that's on TV, which is all about visuals, so it would be more appropriate to mention it then and it still isn't.

It is entirely appropriate to mention it -- briefly, as I did -- when it is such an occasion. Defending that as if any random opinion is always appropriate no matter what raises the stakes. Where brief, mild admonitions are dismissed or argued against, it escalates.

You wasted all of those keystrokes and I wasn't even asking you. Lol, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT