ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any potential transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew1

Recruit
Apr 9, 2005
Steat started a thread saying Jeter and Thorton are rumoured to be transferring. I know he has a strong hate for Duke but he has an entire paragraph about this

Rumour started by someone with , like , 3 posts on a Louisville forum. Emphatically denied by everyone I've talked to. Hey , who knows what kids will do and Duke HAS had transfers but until I read/hear from someone with credibility , I'm callin' bs on this one.

Look through the most recent responses in the Jefferson thread....There is definite smoke by people with their ear closest to the ground relative to Duke

If so, dang it. Right when Duke was getting some depth this happens. Frank is a dang good PG but DT has experience now.

I've heard the rumors about Derryck and it seems like all of the rumors originated from everywhere except Duke

Look through the most recent responses in the Jefferson thread....There is definite smoke by people with their ear closest to the ground relative to Duke

It's certainly possible. I'm just sayin' I need a more credible source. And if it IS true and he's not happy , he needs to go. Wish 'im the best.

Reactions: gottagonow
Jim Summer has an article out about this year ending and next year. He specifically mentions no significant transfers likely at this point. I would say Jim is a pretty reliable source.

Not hearin' good things and , yes , the source is much better than the UL poster. FWIW...

Trust me people this DT thing has some legs...my buddy works in the university area and told me last night before anything was even out that he had heard the rumor...then today he's heard from more reliable people it's going to happen....but it has nothing to do with PT

Reactions: pisgah101
If Grayson leaves, losing Thornton could cost chance at a title. All of a sudden, Matt gets a lot more love. If Grayson stays, Duke is good. Does playing a year at the point tip Grayson to stay? Everyone assumes Grayson can't improve his stock much by staying. Well, if he comes back, develops some legit pt guard skills, that should improve his stock. Much bigger chance of improving his stock than solely being a 2.

Losing Thornton would suck. Was really hoping he would have a big "redemption" year next year. Really wanted to see him succeed and have fun.

If DT and Grayson leave we are back to having zero depth and are one injury away from being in the same boat we were this year!

Doesn't Jackson start from Day 1 anyway? Giles and Tatum too?

.but it has nothing to do with PT

Then he needs to go. Now. If he's not happy at Duke , he does himself and his team a disservice. I wish 'im all the best. He only has X amount of time to play ball in college so he should go where he's happiest.

Saw the DT transfering thing over at 247... This makes zero sense. The kid got every, and I mean every, chance to play this year. He got more minutes than I thought he would at the start of the year. If he wants out, then peace. Smh.

Saw the DT transfering thing over at 247... This makes zero sense. The kid got every, and I mean every, chance to play this year. He got more minutes than I thought he would at the start of the year. If he wants out, then peace. Smh.
I repeat it has nothing to do with playing time

I repeat it has nothing to do with playing time
I know. I read that. Just baffles me bc what more could he want really? Just all very strange. I'm reading that his parents aren't happy with how he was used... Just weird.

I know. I read that. Just baffles me bc what more could he want really? Just all very strange. I'm reading that his parents aren't happy with how he was used... Just weird.
There you go...and from what I hear it's just not his parents that feel this way

If he don't want to be here then good bye...if he wants to be here next year then come back...simple as that

Reactions: vcugreg
Hate to lose the young man (if true), but understand if he does what he and family feels is best for him.. With my DUKE blue shade on, I thinks he should stick it out and possibly get a championship while being coached by the best there is in college basketball... but that just me.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I don't know how else K could have used him...he didn't create for anybody and he can't shoot a lick.

Other than some defensive ability he left a lot to be desired as a PG.

He can improve significantly...and probably will/would have. Clearly they haven't watched Duke PG develop under K. I think Tyus did ok last year..and I'm pretty sure K knows what to do with PG.

Thornton clearly wasn't ready..and it seems now that maybe he thinks he is better than he is if this is true.

If he leaves it's his loss IMO...

And...we kinda have a history of winning the title when guys leave for supposed greener pastures...and I'd be ok with that!!

I don't know how else K could have used him...he didn't create for anybody and he can't shoot a lick.

Other than some defensive ability he left a lot to be desired as a PG.

He can improve significantly...and probably will/would have. Clearly they haven't watched Duke PG develop under K. I think Tyus did ok last year..and I'm pretty sure K knows what to do with PG.

Thornton clearly wasn't ready..and it seems now that maybe he thinks he is better than he is if this is true.

If he leaves it's his loss IMO...

And...we kinda have a history of winning the title when guys leave for supposed greener pastures...and I'd be ok with that!!

Yeah he has 0 offense lol

Reactions: mdowdy
Derryck came in late and learned on the fly. He played good D, was really the only guy who break the press effectively, and showed some signs of development. To say we'd be happy he's leaving is nonsense, especially because now Duke is left with no true PG. frank Jackson? Lol kid is an athlete but some of you will be bashing him because "he didn't develop". The Tyus Jones effect strikes again.

I wouldn't be happy he is leaving...but if he leaves and it's because him and his parents don't think K used him right...well then they are IMO ignorant.

It is a discussion that should be had between K and Thornton now that the season is over about how to best move him forward. If his parents are involved...then K doesn't need that headache..he doesn't have to prove anything to anybody about developing Guards/PG.

I think K's resume and specifically his resume developing GREAT PG speaks for itself!

My hope is K can educate them all and develop Thornton..that is why he came to Duke. His father wanted him to learn and develop....if he didn't learn anything from this year and how to improve and this is the solution...to transfer..then he was talking out his _________!

He was a freshman give the guy a break...he would/will get better with more experience

Silent G wasn't very good offensively his freshman year here either and look what happened to him

Idc what he was he had 0 offense and had no business shooting 3/4 of the shots he put up.

I wouldn't be happy he is leaving...but if he leaves and it's because him and his parents don't think K used him right...well then they are IMO ignorant.

It is a discussion that should be had between K and Thornton now that the season is over about how to best move him forward. If his parents are involved...then K doesn't need that headache..he doesn't have to prove anything to anybody about developing Guards/PG.

I think K's resume and specifically his resume developing GREAT PG speaks for itself!

My hope is K can educate them all and develop Thornton..that is why he came to Duke. His father wanted him to learn and develop....if he didn't learn anything from this year and how to improve and this is the solution...to transfer..then he was talking out his _________!
I agree with most of this but i disagree with the part where you say K doesn't need that headache if the parents are involved....the parents SHOULD be involved since it's their son that it's effecting

Idc what he was he had 0 offense and had no business shooting 3/4 of the shots he put up.
Well if that's the case then your gripe should be with coach K since he is the one that probably told him to shoot and let him shoot....email him about it

I agree with most of this but i disagree with the part where you say K doesn't need that headache if the parents are involved....the parents SHOULD be involved since it's their son that it's effecting
His parents should be involved by educating him...telling him to work harder...listen to Coach K (A different generation I know.)

They should be part of the solution...

If they are fueling the fire...saying K didn't use him right...wanting Thornton to leave or even supporting that this early...

Then they are part of the problem.

Derryck came in late and learned on the fly. He played good D, was really the only guy who break the press effectively, and showed some signs of development. To say we'd be happy he's leaving is nonsense, especially because now Duke is left with no true PG. frank Jackson? Lol kid is an athlete but some of you will be bashing him because "he didn't develop". The Tyus Jones effect strikes again.
Completely agree. Bashing him is not the answer and all things considered for what he did to get here to begin with is pretty remarkable. A full off season would be huge for him and Duke. This is a big time blow.

Reactions: Tlass
His parents should be involved by educating him...telling him to work harder...listen to Coach K (A different generation I know.)

They should be part of the solution...

If they are fueling the fire...saying K didn't use him right...wanting Thornton to leave or even supporting that this early...

Then they are part of the problem.
I agree but they should still be involved....now if they are causing trouble then it would be best if he did transfer..but i stand by it that i think they should be involved in talks with K

Well if that's the case then your gripe should be with coach K since he is the one that probably told him to shoot and let him shoot....email him about it

Late to the party, but I will say this...

Starting by saying I hope he makes the best decision for himself and only himself and as fans we shouldn't hold hard feelings towards him.

But that said, if his decision is driven by his dad's thoughts on him not getting enough shots, that's pretty pathetic. Like Pisgah said, he didn't really provide much on offense. Like you say, he's just a freshman and could improve drastically. But if him not getting enough shots is the reason for his departure. Bye! That's not what he's here for. And he took plenty of shots, problem is, he didn't make plenty of them.

All of this is speculation anyways, I reckon we could wait for the facts to come out.

Sorry to specifically disagree with your post Pisgah, but a point guard has to take some shots. If he is unwilling to take a three when he is open and he isn't willing to attack once in a while, the D can totally sag off. This allows easy double teams, clogs driving lanes and clogs passing lanes. Derryck did ok attacking the rim, but didn't make nearly enough outside shots. Almost no clutch ones. Yes, that did really hurt, but what are you going to do. My main critique of his shot selection was taking too many of them too early in the shot clock.

Losing him is a huge loss if Gayson leaves and any of the 3 remaining guards gets hurt. If Grayson and Thornton leave, Jackson is going to have to have a better freshman year than Luke, Luke will have to be more consistent, and none of the guards can get hurt.

Derryck, talk to Quinn please!

In all seriousness though, completely agree that talking to Quinn and Nolan should be helpful in possibly talking him off the ledge but it certainly doesn't sound good.

Doesn't like how he was used? He had a decent leash from what I saw. If he didn't want to be a Duke point man, why did he choose Duke? What am I missing here?

Is he not a good fit for K's offense or is he just impatient? Louisville would let him be a ball hog scorer, if that's how he wants to be used. I can't blame him for leaving if that's what he wants. Tyus earned his leading role. Thornton didn't demonstrate the same understanding of the game. Wake up young fellow. U of L and Pitino are second rate.

Reactions: twdukefan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT