ADVERTISEMENT

#1 #2 #3 #17

What a joke. However, these rankings are for projecting future NBA success, if I'm correct? So, as long as Tre is the better college player next year, and I think he will be, that's a win for Duke.
Most "way too early" 2019 draft big-boards have Garland over Tre, so I suppose the ESPN ranking makes sense.

Do any 2019 draft boards have Tre? I haven't seen him listed on most of them.
He is not on most mocks, last month he was. Apparently his showings at these All-Star practices didn't go too great.
I'm not worried, either Tre will be great, we will win, and he will probably leave. Or if things go differently, we get an amazing PG for multiple seasons, something we haven't seen in quite a while.

Reactions: sheyduke
His jump shot needs a lot of work. I think we'll see him for 2 years, personally. Tre Jones would be a sophomore in 2020 with potential upperclassmen in Bolden (Sr), Javin (Sr), and AOC (Jr). Would be nice to have several quality veterans.​

Damn.....these kids haven’t even gotten to campus yet and we’re wondering where they’ll be drafted.....smh

To be fair, in this case Tre's draft projection will have a lot to do with whether he get him for one year or more. So it does impact Duke beyond just next year's draft.

What a joke. However, these rankings are for projecting future NBA success, if I'm correct? So, as long as Tre is the better college player next year, and I think he will be, that's a win for Duke.
Most "way too early" 2019 draft big-boards have Garland over Tre, so I suppose the ESPN ranking makes sense.

Garland might be better next year. He was always seen as a better athlete and shooter, but he didn't always play hard, and wasn't as good at team running as TJ. But Garland appears to have closed the gap WRT team running more than TJ has improved as a shooter. Honestly, that was Tyus's strength, as a shooter. Everything else was nice, but his ability to knock down huge three point shots was probably his greatest strength.

To me Tre has that, I ain’t scared!” Mentality. I liked how he attacked the paint and his ability to get into the lane and dish out. He’s more physically ready then his brother and I think he does just like him. Hits the shots when they are needed.

Those are essentially NBA draft rankings. I'm concerned with getting cultural buy-in and thus team play from those who choose to don the white and blue. Let's go, Duke!

Reactions: QC Dukie
Another plus to landing Tre, is Tyus. It just helps keep him into the team mix. I like it when winners hang around and stop in and workout with the kids from time to time.

Reactions: dbav
Garland might be better next year. He was always seen as a better athlete and shooter, but he didn't always play hard, and wasn't as good at team running as TJ. But Garland appears to have closed the gap WRT team running more than TJ has improved as a shooter. Honestly, that was Tyus's strength, as a shooter. Everything else was nice, but his ability to knock down huge three point shots was probably his greatest strength.

I don’t recall this coming in known as a shooter. He was an elite floor general. He was a better shooter than any of us expected once he started playing at Duke

I don’t recall this coming in known as a shooter. He was an elite floor general. He was a better shooter than any of us expected once he started playing at Duke

That wasn't a known strength of Tyus coming in, but at the end of the season, Tyus's biggest contributions were knocking down clutch shots. He did it vs Wiscy, 2 times, as well as the UVA game. And those were all game clinching, if not game winning, shots. Hopefully, TJ is on that track where he isn't known as a good shooter, but does a great imitation of a great shooter this year.
I'm heartened by numerous reports that say CJ and TJ had bad All star circuits and that their play in those games wasn't indicative of the play they've exhibited all year.

Zion at 22?
Yeah in terms of college program value, that's about where I'd predict for him. The way Zion makes his team better is to overpower the guy guarding him. There are likely 21 other players that will give you more value than that, especially since we'll only get 1 season of ZIon. There's always a chance he's a great passer and defender, but in terms of predicting his overall value, I will slide him down the list.

For fun, go back and look at last year. Were Bamba and Ayton anywhere close to the #3 and #4 most valuable or productive freshmen? They were certainly top 30, but Trae Young was #23. Was Bagley definitely more valuable than Carter after the first 10 games?

Last edited:
Yeah in terms of college program value, that's about where I'd predict for him. The way Zion makes his team better is to overpower the guy guarding him. There are likely 21 other players that will give you more value than that, especially since we'll only get 1 season of ZIon. There's always a chance he's a great passer and defender, but in terms of predicting his overall value, I will slide him down the list.

Ok I get you I wasn't sure in what aspect but that's deff possible. Man I hope he can defend and pass like he's capable here!

Zion has great potential, but can he consistently make basketball plays at the speed he needs to? I've watched full games of his. He is really just a finisher and bully in the lane. I haven't seen much creativity or vision in the open court and his defense is basically just outjumping guys. He won't be as much of a bully in college. You have to be able to rotate on D and make the right passes. If he does start making plays, then he'll be unstoppable.

Reactions: PatrickYates
OT: Look at what kind of teams would be out there if guys went to four years of college still. From this past season, seniors would be:

Tyus Jones, Devon Booker, Kelly Oubre, Jahlil Okafor, Karl Anthony Towns
bench: Stanley Johnson, Miles Turner, D'Angelo Russell

That would be fun to watch plow through the tournament.

OT: Look at what kind of teams would be out there if guys went to four years of college still. From this past season, seniors would be:

Tyus Jones, Devon Booker, Kelly Oubre, Jahlil Okafor, Karl Anthony Towns
bench: Stanley Johnson, Miles Turner, D'Angelo Russell

That would be fun to watch plow through the tournament.
As well as Justise Winslow

Reactions: DukeDenver
Damn.....these kids haven’t even gotten to campus yet and we’re wondering where they’ll be drafted.....smh
I am with you, but this is currently what Duke Bball is now. Just feels like we are a springboard for these kids to display their games for a few months and gone. We as fans know it before they even commit. Some love it some hate it but it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT