ADVERTISEMENT

Zion

He was an absolute spectacle at Duke and it's a shame he hasn't done too much in his 4 year NBA career. Obviously injuries have derailed his career, but him being in year 4 saying 'i need to buy in' is kind of alarming.

He always seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders at Duke but to have zero jumpshot after 4 years in the league and not be in great shape says a lot. Tough to root for kids who don't maximize their potential or don't seem to have the drive

Or it’s a case when a kid simply wanted to be a kid/teenager but his circle wouldn’t let him and now that he doesn’t have to listen to them he simply isn’t .

I truly believe of all the OAD’s at Duke Zion truly did want to return. Plus the Pelicans aren’t the best organization to their franchise players . It took Chris Paul and Anthony Davis to long to realize they needed to leave .

Or it’s a case when a kid simply wanted to be a kid/teenager but his circle wouldn’t let him and now that he doesn’t have to listen to them he simply isn’t .

I truly believe of all the OAD’s at Duke Zion truly did want to return. Plus the Pelicans aren’t the best organization to their franchise players . It took Chris Paul and Anthony Davis to long to realize they needed to leave .
We've had a couple of OADs who truly wanted to stay, and he definitely was one. And you're right. The quicker he can move on from New Orleans, the better. He needs a veteran player to get in his ass. I wish he could go to the Lakers. There's no chance LeBron would put up with that. I'd love to see him come to my Spurs. But who wants to come play for that dumpster fire right now?

He 1000% wanted to come back.. took to the last day to even submit his paperwork all the while mom and step dad harping in his ear to do so. The thing that sucks is if he would have come back it was the Covid year !

I mean, Pop would be a great coach for him. But I doubt he wants to go be part of a rebuild around Victor. But I would gladly take him to San Antonio!

Reactions: hart2chesson
At the end of the day If he’s happy where he’s at than who are we to complain about where he could be. Hes made enough money already to enjoy the rest of his life for himself, and family, at 20!! lol. He’s already won whether he wants to be elite or not for our entertaimment purposes

At the end of the day If he’s happy where he’s at than who are we to complain about where he could be. Hes made enough money already to enjoy the rest of his life for himself, and family, at 20!! lol. He’s already won whether he wants to be elite or not for our entertaimment purposes
Refreshing take.

I agree to an extent, but the Pelicans made a huge financial commitment to him, with the reasonable expectation that he’d show a reciprocal commitment by tending to his business. He has failed on his end. If he’s fine with that, he’s not the person I thought he was.

Nailed it. To quote a Bronx Tale….at the end of the day “nobody cares.”

I agree to an extent, but the Pelicans made a huge financial commitment to him, with the reasonable expectation that he’d show a reciprocal commitment by tending to his business. He has failed on his end. If he’s fine with that, he’s not the person I thought he was.
The Pelicans made the commitment because if they didn’t the rest of the NBA teams would make an offer and they would get nothing in return for him .
He’s tending to his business just not to fans and the teams expectations . Not to mention the fact he’s had three head coaches .
Just because fans want him to be great doesn’t mean he cares to be . He simply just might want to be him .

Doing what he wants and not fulfilling his obligations to the contract he signed isnt "living his best life" as they say....its dishonest. He's been very well paid to perform a service to a team, not just be himself, and by not at least trying to stay in shape, improve, or live up to that contract he is reneging on the contract......a different take.... different generations see things differently I guess.

Interesting that people are criticizing 22.9 PPG, 4.7 APG and 5.6 REB/G. Sounds like he's really phoning it in.
Or his 33 point game last night against the Timberwolves . It’s funny you see all these sport celebrities and analysts speaking on Zion but he’s still putting up numbers .

I liked his answer to Shaq and Barkley when asked ,” if it came from a good place I’m fine with it but I can’t control what any grown man says or thinks ! For everyone saying I’m out of shape they are focusing on me when my team has a lot more room for growth and that’s what I’m focused on not the rest !”

Reactions: DukeJim99
Doing what he wants and not fulfilling his obligations to the contract he signed isnt "living his best life" as they say....its dishonest. He's been very well paid to perform a service to a team, not just be himself, and by not at least trying to stay in shape, improve, or live up to that contract he is reneging on the contract......a different take.... different generations see things differently I guess.
What’s the difference between him and probably 90% of the work force? Most people do the bare minimum and collect a decent paycheck. His just happens to be in the millions.

Reactions: sheyduke
You answered your own question! He has a unique skill set that he’s getting paid MANY millions of dollars to use, whereas 90% of the workforce are pretty fungible and paid accordingly. I was happy to see last night’s 36 point game, which in my mind only proves the criticism, which is he doesn’t appear to care. At least until he got called out on his dedication. Don’t get me wrong, I root for the guy (his name is even in many of my passwords), so it kills me even more to see him pee away his unicorn talent.

You answered your own question! He has a unique skill set that he’s getting paid MANY millions of dollars to use, whereas 90% of the workforce are pretty fungible and paid accordingly. I was happy to see last night’s 36 point game, which in my mind only proves the criticism, which is he doesn’t appear to care. At least until he got called out on his dedication. Don’t get me wrong, I root for the guy (his name is even in many of my passwords), so it kills me even more to see him pee away his unicorn talent.
How is he pissing away his talent ? He wanted a trade and the Pelicans weren’t going to do it .
I don’t see him doing what Ja Morant is doing . Or Josh Giddey .
The kid could simply feel the same way KI did . Basketball has been his entire life . Now that he don’t have to answer his entire circle he might just want to simply be a kid . Oh and he honors his contract every time he steps on the court . Only time he doesn’t is if he sits .

He clearly lacks discipline and will never be consistently healthy unless he improves in that area. He signed up to be a “professional” athlete. He can afford a personal trainer, a dietitian, and a cook or chef. I wish him the best of course but I have seen this movie before with other supremely talented athletes.

He clearly lacks discipline and will never be consistently healthy unless he improves in that area. He signed up to be a “professional” athlete. He can afford a personal trainer, a dietitian, and a cook or chef. I wish him the best of course but I have seen this movie before with other supremely talented athletes.
Yes and no one knows the reason behind it they are still people . I understand what analyst are saying but I think the kid don’t care it’s still his life . He is professional but maybe his team should do a more ,” Professional Job” and getting the right pieces around him .

Reactions: Duke Blu
Yeaaaa I can’t make a judgment on who a person is based off that. I have 0 pity for any of these NBA franchises for swinging and missing, nor do I expect a player to, given how cut throat the league is.

Reactions: GAAP
Doing what he wants and not fulfilling his obligations to the contract he signed isnt "living his best life" as they say....it’s dishonest. He's been very well paid to perform a service to a team, not just be himself, and by not at least trying to stay in shape, improve, or live up to that contract he is reneging on the contract......a different take.... different generations see things differently I guess.
The nba is dishonest . Everybody is. Lol

Yes and no one knows the reason behind it they are still people . I understand what analyst are saying but I think the kid don’t care it’s still his life . He is professional but maybe his team should do a more ,” Professional Job” and getting the right pieces around him .
It's not his fault he's overweight. Like James Gregory says being obiest is a disease. I'm not sure you can still call him a kid at this point.

It's not his fault he's overweight. Like James Gregory says being obiest is a disease. I'm not sure you can still call him a kid at this point.
He’s what twenty . He’s a kid tell me what he’s truly experienced at 20 ?
Has anyone ever thought he’s forcing the pelicans hand to trade him ? One game and he’s fat ! The next game he scores 36 and I don’t hear Steven A or any other sports personality talking junk !
Leave the kid alone !

Reactions: SWEc/o95
Has anyone ever thought he’s forcing the pelicans hand to trade him ? One game and he’s fat ! The next game he scores 36 and I don’t hear Steven A or any other sports personality talking junk !
Leave the kid alone !
He's 23 years old

Leave the kid alone !
They wanted him to be the next larger than life NBA star like MJ, Shaq. With Lebron in his twilight and Curry soon to follow the NBA is in dire need of a new generation of superstar. It’s telling that Shaq who’s been retired forever is in more commercials than any active player best I can tell. Tatum is a great young star, but not sure if he’s a household name yet.
If Zion doesn’t keep his weight under control it will put more strain on his ankles, knees, and back possibly shortening his career Not throwing shade, just want him to reach his full potential

From my subjective view of number of commercials done, Tatum seems to be the most often seen. Of course, if it's not a Duke guy, there's a good chance I don't recognize him.

They wanted him to be the next larger than life NBA star like MJ, Shaq. With Lebron in his twilight and Curry soon to follow the NBA is in dire need of a new generation of superstar. It’s telling that Shaq who’s been retired forever is in more commercials than any active player best I can tell. Tatum is a great young star, but not sure if he’s a household name yet.
If Zion doesn’t keep his weight under control it will put more strain on his ankles, knees, and back possibly shortening his career Not throwing shade, just want him to reach his full potential
Agreed KD, good post!!

OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE
Leave the kid alone !
Totally agree. I’d love to see SAS go on a tirade about a WNBA player being fat and see how that works out for him. Perfectly ok to body shame a man though. The guys torso is freaking massive and is really disproportionate compared to his lower body. There is not a whole lot of weight to be lost up top
Doesnt look any bigger than he was at Duke imo. His torso is massive compared to his lower body. Not much weight to lose there unless it’s muscle mass. I think you’ve seen his full potential. He doesn’t have a jumper, he doesn’t have a 3 point shot. His game is bully ball and no one can stop him at that. He’s quicker and stronger than every big in the league and can pretty much score when he wants in the post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT