ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson - 6’7” 285lbs

Zion is solid as a rock, he did gain weight while injured though. I believe Zion lost the weight he gained and Duke is inflating his stat line like all colleges do, i expect his weight fluctuates between 270-280. So he is more like 6'6-6'6 1/2 and 270-275, which is still super human for anyone regardless of age.

Zion is the 2nd heaviest player in the NBA ...well would be, so the Internet says .

Zion is solid as a rock, he did gain weight while injured though. I believe Zion lost the weight he gained and Duke is inflating his stat line like all colleges do, i expect his weight fluctuates between 270-280. So he is more like 6'6-6'6 1/2 and 270-275, which is still super human for anyone regardless of age.

After looking at NBA combine measurements compared to Duke’s measurements of the same players.. it looks like Duke uses the player’s actual height (in shoes) and rounds up.. so Zion is probably 6’5”1/2 to 6’6” without shoes.. and his weight is probably pretty accurate.

Yeah he was measured at 6’5 no shoes before going to Duke this year. He’s 6’6 in shoes. He had got down to 260 but he must have been eating very good as soon as he got to Duke ( happened to me as a freshman when I got to Westvirgina before condiditioning started). Like I said before it will effect him more later in the game on defense because that’s what happens if you carry too much weight ala Barkley who wasn’t that good on D but worse on D in the fourth quarter. With that said Zion is still my favorite player coming into college and I think he’s the best player in his class or slightly behind Nassier Little ,even though I like RJ as well, when it comes to NBA potential

After looking at NBA combine measurements compared to Duke’s measurements of the same players.. it looks like Duke uses the player’s actual height (in shoes) and rounds up.. so Zion is probably 6’5”1/2 to 6’6” without shoes.. and his weight is probably pretty accurate.

Reactions: Devilinside
He's so fat his belly button gets home 15 minutes before he does.

He's so fat that when he gets into an elevator it has to go down.

Reactions: dukehokie
Wasn't Boozer 280 at Duke? I seem to recall that. Similar size players, different skill sets.

Well, he probably slimmed down.

Here’s what happens in the off season of most strength and conditioning programs, high school, pro, and collegiate.

First they give you targets and goals before you even get to school. Then, when you arrive in the off-season, they feed you like crazy and make you lift heavy things. There is actually a little finesse involved in basketball, because you don’t want to change the mechanics of a shot and ball handling. Then, about a month before the preseason, you start curbing the heavy stuff and go more for endurance training (cardio and endurance lifts).

So in that offseason, it’s nothing for a kid to gain 15-20 lbs or more. Not all muscle, but weight gain is necessary for some muscle build. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Zion was truly 260 before he came to Duke (probably the staff getting his body at a lower prep weight) and 280-290 at some point this summer. Same with AOC. As skinny as he was, I bet the S&C staff wanted him at a certain weight before he came to campus and then fed him to “bulk him up.” When they say Alex gained 15 lbs, they’re not talking playing weight.

Then, during the season, who cares where they are listed. They play the season at a goal weight generally around what was predicted before they even came to school. Zion may be listed at 280 all year, but he’ll play at 250-260. That’s just the nature how much cardio they’ll be doing, and cardio almost always ends in weight loss. That’s why the base in the off-season has to be so high. You account for anywhere from 25-30 lbs of in-season weight loss. They will eat a lot (like 6,000 kcals+ a lot) per working day (off days are dropped to 2,000-3,000) to maintain a certain weight and body fat percentage (or muscle percentage if you want to think about it that way). This is all to prevent them from being emaciated during the season. It’s also why it’s so important for guys to be at school in the summer. We say it’s for the sake of their jumpers. The coaches say it’s for the sake of their S&C program.

On top of all of that, this is where some injuries come from. Training too hard to drop weight. Foot injuries from running, etc.

Either way, this is a very long post just to say, Zion is short and fat.

Z will look like a runaway locamotive on a fastbreak, and I hope it starts in the Champions Classic. I want to see a dunkfest for the ages on the Mildcats. Broken backboards and blood is what I desire.

Me and you both!!!

I can see it now. This years game at the dean dome of hof coach roy williams court. Zion steals the ball at mid court and breaks down the court. Everyone knows what's coming but standing under the basket is no other than big luke maye who being the team leader and unselfish player he is not going to just let Zion dunk the ball so he stands his ground and goes up as high as he can get when Zion goes airborne . Zion goes higher and with force slams the ball through the basket and sends big luke backwards with so much force he takes out all of the unc cheerleaders and lays motionless. hof coach roy williams calls an immediate time out and turns to one of his managers who goes to university security who then goes to a member of the chapel hill police department. The officer then goes and slaps the cuffs on Zion. hof coach roy williams then has charges taken out on Zion for assault and battery. hof coach roy williams tells Coach K to stick it where the sun doesn't shine because this is his court and orders the entire Duke team and coaching staff off the court. ACC commisioner john swofford who is in attendance declares unc the winner a the score be recorded as a 2-0 forfeit because Duke did not have enough players to finish the game. OFC

Roy calls a timeout? Kinda going out on a limb with this one aren't ya sky's??? LOL!

He had it planned. He knew Zion was gonna dunk assault someone. Everyone was in on it. It's his court and nobody does that on his court. #hofcoachroywillliamsknew. OFC

Z will look like a runaway locamotive on a fastbreak, and I hope it starts in the Champions Classic. I want to see a dunkfest for the ages on the Mildcats. Broken backboards and blood is what I desire.
I’m probably looking more forward to that game than any other game because I want to see what they say about Zion after the game if we win since they like to call Zion “Fat Hami”.

Reactions: HonkeyT
I’m probably looking more forward to that game than any other game because I want to see what they say about Zion after the game if we win since they like to call Zion “Fat Hami”.

The Naz Little/Zion matchup will be fun. Naz has gotten the better of Zion a few times, so it’ll be nice with some actual tutelage to see Zion more skilled and ready to face him again.

I can see it now. This years game at the dean dome of hof coach roy williams court. Zion steals the ball at mid court and breaks down the court. Everyone knows what's coming but standing under the basket is no other than big luke maye who being the team leader and unselfish player he is not going to just let Zion dunk the ball so he stands his ground and goes up as high as he can get when Zion goes airborne . Zion goes higher and with force slams the ball through the basket and sends big luke backwards with so much force he takes out all of the unc cheerleaders and lays motionless. hof coach roy williams calls an immediate time out and turns to one of his managers who goes to university security who then goes to a member of the chapel hill police department. The officer then goes and slaps the cuffs on Zion. hof coach roy williams then has charges taken out on Zion for assault and battery. hof coach roy williams tells Coach K to stick it where the sun doesn't shine because this is his court and orders the entire Duke team and coaching staff off the court. ACC commisioner john swofford who is in attendance declares unc the winner a the score be recorded as a 2-0 forfeit because Duke did not have enough players to finish the game. OFC
Works for me

Reactions: skysdad
I just saw a picture of our 5 freshmen on Duke Men’s Basketball Facebook page. Zion, RJ and Cameron are listed as 6’6, 6’7 and 6’7 on Rivals but looking at the picture, they all look like they’re the same height.

I just saw a picture of our 5 freshmen on Duke Men’s Basketball Facebook page. Zion, RJ and Cameron are listed as 6’6, 6’7 and 6’7 on Rivals but looking at the picture, they all look like they’re the same height.
Saw the exact same photo. Honestly, I thought Cam was a bit taller than Zion and RJ. Cam looked to be the same height as both of them, was kinda disappointed.
Maybe he just looks taller on a basketball court because his arms go down almost to his knees, he has those KD arms.

Honest question about Zion.... What is his overall game like? All I've seen are the mixtapes and dunk contests. Obviously he's a beast. But can he shoot? How's his defense? His defensive/offensive IQ? Is he team player?

Saw the exact same photo. Honestly, I thought Cam was a bit taller than Zion and RJ. Cam looked to be the same height as both of them, was kinda disappointed.
Maybe he just looks taller on a basketball court because his arms go down almost to his knees, he has those KD arms.

Regardless, they've got ideal bodies for modern hoops. Any of the three can guard 2-4, and a some can guard 1s, and 2 can probably guard college 5s. Multi skilled and athletic.
Sure, there will be some rough spots and bad games this year. But if they are at least competent on 3s, look out.

Regardless, they've got ideal bodies for modern hoops. Any of the three can guard 2-4, and a some can guard 1s, and 2 can probably guard college 5s. Multi skilled and athletic.
Sure, there will be some rough spots and bad games this year. But if they are at least competent on 3s, look out.
Agreed. I doubt Zion can keep the quicker 2's and 3's in front of him, but Cam and RJ should be able to. Zion however will be able to bang with the biggest 4's and 5's, unlike Cam or RJ. Regardless..you're right, having a bunch of 6'7 wings is ideal for modern hoops.

If our wings can shoot the 3 at a respectable clip, our offense will be scary good.

Agreed. I doubt Zion can keep the quicker 2's and 3's in front of him, but Cam and RJ should be able to. Zion however will be able to bang with the biggest 4's and 5's, unlike Cam or RJ. Regardless..you're right, having a bunch of 6'7 wings is ideal for modern hoops.

If our wings can shoot the 3 at a respectable clip, our offense will be scary good.

I think it important that I clarify that i meant COLLEGE 2s and 3s. Zion would have problems with guys like James Harden, Eric Harden, or Bradley Beal.
In other words, elite SGs. Frosh Zion could probably have guarded, to at least a mediocre degree, college sophomore versions of essentially every SG currently in the league. He'd have had trouble with Durant, but who doesn't/wouldn't/HASN'T?
Some guys might be quicker (and I'm not sure how much of that is the case) but Z is much stronger. And a lot of the better athletes have relied, if not OVER-relied on their athleticism. If the skill, particularly the ball handling skill, is lagging, their quickness might not be enough to overcome Zion.
Now, I'm not saying Z can lock these guys down. But he can switch on D for the 2-5, and vs some (lower tier or backup) 1s. This could make for a disruptive defense. Not a perfect defense, and certainly there will be some epic foulups and mistakes. But it could be enough for what I suspect will be a very effective offense.

Wait... they are listed as basically the same height, but they looked like they’re the same height?
In the picture they look like they’re the exact same height, since they’re listed at different heights (notably Zion being listed an inch shorter) you’d think that there would be a noticeable difference in height even if it was a slight difference.

Honest question about Zion.... What is his overall game like? All I've seen are the mixtapes and dunk contests. Obviously he's a beast. But can he shoot? How's his defense? His defensive/offensive IQ? Is he team player?

He’s one of those guys who because of team makeup and competition, it was pretty difficult to get a read on him. He’s deadly in the open court, but guardable in the half court from the perimeter. On the block, he was unguardable, either scoring or getting fouled. He has excellent footwork and a couple of polished pivot moves on the block. His handle is ok, but very predictable from the outside (in the half court). His jump shot wasn’t terrible but he never used it much. It sounds and looks like it has improved this summer.

Defensively, he’s relied on his athleticism and strength so much. His lateral quickness isn’t elite, but he’s quick and has decent length, so in learning proper positioning, he should be able to guard most college 4’s and ok enough to not be a screen and switch target. Hopefully. #Cautiouslyoptimistic. He will get some passing lane steals and weak side blocks though. He’s actually a very good help side defender because he lives for those plays.

He was a top 2 recruit for a reason and it’s more than his YouTube dunks. Otherwise he’d be ranked lower than Seventh Woods. Ba-zing.

Reactions: Mpm277
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT