ADVERTISEMENT

Your bakers dozen favorite Duke bb players.

Bobby Jones was terrific! How about Sam Perkins? He seems like a great guy. I'm surprised you list Bobby Jones. In 1974, he broke the hearts of Duke fans twice. At Duke, he stole the inbounds pass at midcourt in a tie game with a few seconds left and raced the length of the court for the winning layup. He never broke stride and ran straight to the locker room because the clock didn't stop after a basket then. Of course, the 1974 game in Chapel Hill , Jones was instrumental in UNC coming back from 8 points down with 17 seconds remaining

I can tell you my least favorite UNC guy. Jamison. I don't think we got a rebound for 4 years.

Reactions: skysdad
Bobby Jones was terrific! How about Sam Perkins? He seems like a great guy. I'm surprised you list Bobby Jones. In 1974, he broke the hearts of Duke fans twice. At Duke, he stole the inbounds pass at midcourt in a tie game with a few seconds left and raced the length of the court for the winning layup. He never broke stride and ran straight to the locker room because the clock didn't stop after a basket then. Of course, the 1974 game in Chapel Hill , Jones was instrumental in UNC coming back from 8 points down with 17 seconds remaining

He was not only a very good player he is a great human being. Yes it hurt to lose him to unc. Always visioned him as a Duke player. If he had played during Coach K' s time I feel we would have got him. One more player I do like is former walk on Jack Wooten. He and my son are friends and went to high school together. He plays rec basketball and I score keep his game. He's likeva coach on the floor. Hevwas an assistant coach at Elon Univesity until this past season when the coach Elon lost his job. The new coach brought in his own staff. Jack is a good fellow. Takes the ribbing well he took from me with the heels going south last season. OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Very nice words about Wooten. I don't think that Bobby Jones would like the colorful language from Coach K or Coach Williams. Coach Smith had some faults, but he took pride in never cursing.

Coach Smith got most of the good talent from this state or first choice for years. I heard Kevin Strickland wanted to go to carolina but Dean chose Ranzino Smih instead. They were the best players from North Carolina that year.

Back on track with the baker's dozen. My list is full and over flowing but I'm gonna give a little love to the Duke player who in my opinion has been verbally abused way too much. No he didn't fill up the stat book but he came to Duke because Coach K wanted him just like everyone else that wore the beautiful Duke Blue and White. He probably understood his role at Duke better than any other player we have had. He got some p.t., a Duke diploma and some great stories to tell his children and grandchildren. I've spoken of him before and defended him when he was referred to as a wastec scholly by more than one loyal Duke fan on this board and yes I consider him one of my favorites because he stuck it out and stayed in the fox hole. Josh Hairston. Thank you for accepting Duke's offer to play basketball. OFC

I’m still working on my list but I’m going to go ahead and admit that I’m going to cheat. Since teams are allowed to have 13 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons, I’m going to have 15 players on my list that way it’ll give me a little more room to not have to choose between players I want to put on my list. lol

On a side note, I was doing some research last night and learned something that I didn’t know. According to an article I found, even though teams can have 13 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons, only 13 players are allowed to dress on game day. So that means if a team is fortunate enough to go through the entire season without any injuries then that would mean that the 2 walk-on possibly wouldn’t even get to dress for a game.

I'm not sure that I understood your post. The scholarship limit is 13. I know that you can have at least 18 players dressed, perhaps more, in non-ncaa tournament games. I believe that the maximum is 16 for NCAA tournament games. UNC dressed 18 last year: 13 scholarship players plus Walker Miller, Caleb Ellis, Shea Rush, Ryan McAdoo and Robbie O'Han

As I recall, Vince Taylor was from Lexington Kentucky. Even though he was highly recruited, I figured if he was any good he would go to Kentucky. I was wrong. He was very good

I think expectations have a lot to do with how we view players; fairly or unfairly. Josh and Javin were borderline top 40 guys (Josh was a top 20 guy early in high school according to one magazine I had) so people expected more. That being said those 2 stuck around and were great teammates. I think we also get frustrated when we see what they are capable of like Alex but they don't do it consistently. I love seeing low rated guys like Jack and Jordan who exceed expectations. Also just because players are low rated in hs does not mean they can't play. Jack and Jordan gained a lot of muscle and were late bloomers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192 and skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT