8 @ #2 Wisconsin
15 @ #6 Louisville
18 @ #2 Virginia
20 vs #10 Notre Dame
23 vs #15 North Carolina
28 @ #19 North Carolina

MY TOP 3
virginia_zpsblwzgjgf.png

To me, this game stands alone. Coming off the Notre Dame lose, Coach K needed to circle the wagons at Undefeated Virginia while staring in the face a 4-4 ACC start. Possibly a hint of the Title Game ahead, our guys finished on a 16-5 run drilling multiple 3 pointers late to leave the arena shell shocked.

UNC_zps3tdtolmp.png

Another no brainer to me. The rivalry, the comeback, the character building. This Classic Duke comeback will go into the record books. Down 10 with less than 4 minutes remaining. My lasting memory will be Tyus repeatedly attacking the rim drawing And 1's.

Finally there are at-least 3 games I could have gone with and I can't decide
- @ Wisconsin to showcase our potential
- @ Louisville to snap our 2-game losing streak
- vs Notre Dame 30 point victory

I need help deciding on my Final Pick fellas. Please help convince me

I can't really narrow it down to three but I'll go with 4.

Both UNC games because Duke swept the Tar Heels.

The Notre Dame game, because that was an such an butt whooping.

The "Grayson's winning" game! Enough said.

I really enjoyed the 1K comeback game against St. John's. It was a historic moment for K and for college basketball, and it was a great game.

The win at UVA. I'm from Virginia and have a lot of Wahoos in my family, and it was nice to have bragging rights. Plus, this win went as far as any to get Duke a #1 seed.

The OT win over UNC in Cameron. A remarkable game that showed the moxy that would come to define this team.

Honorable Mention: @ UNC and the 30 point throttling of Notre Dame.

Wisky game- because I didn't know if we were going to be legit yet. That really upped my expectations of the season

UVA game- Just such a great game. Very exciting

And I'm with Huffy on the last one-I think the Saint Johns game is up there. Great comeback to get number 1k for K

Honerable Mention

Both UNC games.

Virginia because it was unthinkable that a team could comeback on them. They played excellent team defense all year.

St. Johns because of 1k.

Beating UNCheat at their place. It's always nice to make them depressed in Chapel Hell.

1. @ Wiscy - didn't thibk we'd win at Kohl Center nevermind run em out of the gym
2. @ UNC - Heels thought they would beat us & fan reaction was great
3. @ VA - Undefeated #2 team, we didn't lose composure when down & knocked em down in final mins

1K win in MSG was special b/c my family has seen so many Duke games there! '99 SJU game was one of my fav wins as well.

Originally posted by Wojoman:

Wisky game- because I didn't know if we were going to be legit yet. That really upped my expectations of the season
Excellent point. I wouldn't have chosen that game as a top 3 before seeing your post, but you're exactly right. Before that it was completely unknown how good we really were and how our freshman would react to a big-time nasty environment.

Good offseason thread. The only thing I don't like about it is having to narrow it down to just three.
cool.r191677.gif

#1 - The best for me was probably the win over Wisconsin in the national championship game. It really, in a nutshell, kind of defined what our team was all season long. We trailed by nine in the second half, and like this team did so many times throughout the year they balled up and finished the job.

#2 - The win at Virginia is when I finally realized how good we could be. We weren't there yet --- even after the win --- but it catapulted this team to new heights. If they had any doubts that win over the Cavaliers erased them.

#3 - Game one vs. the Heels at Cameron. For one, we fought back and refused to lose....and let's be honest, the complete meltdown by the Heels and their fans was pretty tough to top as well. It was one of those games where we didn't play well, the Heels played fantastic, Jahlil couldn't move in the second half, and Tyus just told everyone to jump on his back.

Obviously some big games are left out of my top three. K's 1,000th over St. John's was record-setting (and ironically it was once again one of those games we fought back in). The win in early December over Wisconsin certainly gave us a glimpse of what this team was capable of doing. That Saturday at Cameron vs. Notre Dame when we had the game won by the second or third TV timeout was special. It's hard leaving the win at Louisville of the list too, but that really was a season-defining win....we had fans here wondering if we'd win 10 ACC games going into it. And of course, last but not least, beating the Heels on their senior night at DES for the 2015 season sweep.

Just a very special season.

at Wisconsin
at Virginia
at Lousiville (we were coming off back to back losses, UL was top ten at the time, desperately needed to win)

1K would be a close 4th. Not only did that game hold great importance but it was a wild game, a gutsy comeback, and the atmosphere was electric, plus Gus Johnson was doing the play by play.

This post was edited on 4/17 12:55 PM by mo.st.dukie

This is hard, but I would have to say:

1) Home vs ND-- That was the game that showed me we could win it all. We looked like an NBA team that day, and there is nothing better than beating down a top-10 team especially one in the ACC. The crazies were in a funk and they recovered very strongly in that one. Wish I could've experienced the noise in Cameron in that one.

2) @ St. Johns-- The obvious reason is 1k, but we really showed off our toughness in that game. I thought we lost it but next thing you know we had the game under control.

3) UNC Sweep-- These games are in their own category, and there is nothing like the anticipation of the Tobacco Rd. rivalry. I included both because they are of the same importance. Our recent dominance of UNCheat never gets old. And the fact that we payed tribute to Dean Smith (having Roy and K arm over arm was pretty cool and unique), and they acknowledged Coach K for his 1k victories was just like nothing else. Coach K admitted it was a little awkward, but also said it just goes to show the greatness of the rivalry and no matter the hostility between fans, the players and coaches have the upmost respect for each other and their programs over time. Best rivalry ever.

Tough Call. Actually 4 for me.

Regular Season:

1. Wisconsin
2. Notre Dame 90-60
3. UNC Game 2 Sweep (it's very sweet defeating them at their place)

But if you include the ACC tournament (as a non-NCAA-tournament game), I thought the game against NCSU was as good a game as any we've played all year.

This is a tough one because there were some very seminal moments during the regular season that stand out - probably more than typical.

You've got the 1k game for obvious reasons - I'm going to leave it as an honorable mention game, however. It was a great comeback and a notable non-conference win, but I'm not sure it positioned us for anything else.

I think the biggest game was the Louisville win. We had been absolutely shredded by Miami and NC State and needed a win, badly or it was looking like it could spiral out of control. K makes a brilliant coaching move, switches to zone and Duke dominates, at that time, a VERY good Cardinal team.

Second would be the Wisconsin game. At the point in the season we were at when we won this one, the team was very unproven. Walking into the Kohl Center and walking out with a dominating win against the #2 team, on the road, at a place that is borderline impossible to win at, put us on the map as a team that could win the whole thing.

Third is the Virginia game. As I write it, I consider switching it with #2. Although I'm confident in #1 because it was such a confidence boosting, tide-turning game, I think it fits there. But #2 and #3 could go either way. This game was a HUGE win. On the road at an undefeated conference school who looked destine to be at least a FF team, we made a crazy comeback at the end of the game on the backs of Tyus, Quinn and Matty Ice. Great game and a seminal win.

#1...The Championship game vs Wisconsin....because we won our 5th National Title

#2...Win at UVA...I live in Virginia and had to listen to their non stop mouths all year

#3...Win at Va Tech....I was at the game and all my Hokie friends thought and kept saying they were going to win. And to see the look on their faces when we won was priceless

Sheesh that is a tough one only picking three. It's hard for me not to agree with everyone's picks. Me living twenty minutes from Louisville definitely makes the win at the yum center big for me, at the time (even though the place has only been open like five years) our victory was the Cardinals worst loss, point wise, since yum center opened. And the final score really didn't do that game justise, we beat them.like a drum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT