ADVERTISEMENT

Will league office punish FSU player for intentional foul on Zion?

That play really mirrored the game at large, it wasn't intentional or dirty, but definitely a foul. FSU got away with so many hard fouls on the inside it was unbelievable. I don't like bitching about refs but, they were bad. Especially on RJ's drives to the rack. He should've gotten 20 FT's by himself.

I think it could go along way if the league and/or the official just steps up and say "hey, it should have been called a foul and reviewed, but it was incidental" or "we did not call a foul as it we felt it was incidental, but it should have been reviewed."

Regardless of your actual feeling on whether "intentional" (technically no such thing anymore) or a foul, this needs to be addressed because that should have been reviewed.

Either shame on Duke's bench for not asking for a review (highly unlikely) or MUCH SHAME on the official (more likely, but do not recall a ref ever declining to go to the monitor if asked unless it is not reviewable in D1. Now in D3...) for not reviewing it.

But it is clear that this somehow be addressed.

I think it should have been a foul. IMO, that doesn't require any kind of help, though, from the ACC office.

If this had been a Duke player who accidentally poked an opposing player in the eye and some were calling for an investigation.....well, we'd think they were nuts.

As I said last night, I just think it's paranoid thinking to always feel someone is out to get you. It was a basketball play that should have been called a foul. No more, no less.

I think it should have been a foul. IMO, that doesn't require any kind of help, though, from the ACC office.

If this had been a Duke player who accidentally poked an opposing player in the eye and some were calling for an investigation.....well, we'd think they were nuts.

As I said last night, I just think it's paranoid thinking to always feel someone is out to get you. It was a basketball play that should have been called a foul. No more, no less.

I think there has been many questionable calls on Zion or no calls on the other team this season (see the abomination that was the charge happy refs against TT). I would like to see these be addressed on some level. While I agree it was not intentional (but still contend a flagrant 1, those things are not necessarily one in the same), the fact this was not even replayed is abhorrent and not a very good look. If it was anyone but Duke, there would be a media outcry...

I think there has been many questionable calls on Zion or no calls on the other team this season (see the abomination that was the charge happy refs against TT). I would like to see these be addressed on some level. While I agree it was not intentional (but still contend a flagrant 1, those things are not necessarily one in the same), the fact this was not even replayed is abhorrent and not a very good look. If it was anyone but Duke, there would be a media outcry...
I agree to an extent. I don’t think if it was anyone other than duke it would have been a media outcry bc it just wouldn’t even be covered. If it had been duke that poked someone though it would have been national news, stop the presses and investigate. It should have been reviewed during the game, it wasn’t and you move on. No reason to do anything post game though imo, it’s over and it’s a missed call.

I agree to an extent. I don’t think if it was anyone other than duke it would have been a media outcry bc it just wouldn’t even be covered. If it had been duke that poked someone though it would have been national news, stop the presses and investigate. It should have been reviewed during the game, it wasn’t and you move on. No reason to do anything post game though imo, it’s over and it’s a missed call.

For the players, move on, sure. But a ref on the national board explained how it could have been missed (and makes sense). But IMHO, there was no excuse that was not even reviewed, that is my problem

And I would be a little concerned if the refs and the ACC offices think it is ok that was not reviewed.

For the players, move on, sure. But a ref on the national board explained how it could have been missed (and makes sense). But IMHO, there was no excuse that was not even reviewed, that is my problem
I’m with you on that, shocked it wasn’t even reviewed. Especially considering it was television tedward that was leading the crew.

Any word on Zion for tonight??
Doesn't seem there is any news, the only news per Twitter was K's press conference Sat. saying he's "hopeful" Zion will be back Monday.
Vegas hasn't released a line for the game tonight, obviously because of the status of Zion.
Starting to get worried....

Coincidentally CBS's "Eye on CBB podcast" last night said that Zion's eye returned to normal after the FSU game and they expect he'll start tonight.

Reactions: jwill133
ITT we learn that many posters don't know the difference between an "intentional" foul sans 1993 and the current rage of a "flagrant" foul circa 2019.

Reactions: dukehokie
I had hoped this topic wouldn't come up. I saw the pic and based off that pic it looked very intentional.
But I was watching the game and saw it happen and all of the replays. There was nothing intentional in the FSU players actions. He was trying to make a defensive play and the injury happened.
Now that the accusation has been made - I hope the rational college basketball fans will speak up and squash the nonsense. There's enough foolishness happening college basketball now that we don't need made up problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT