ADVERTISEMENT

Why no love for Duke’s D?

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
I hear a lot of analysts say “Virginia and Michigan” have the best defense in college ball without ever including Duke into that convo. I get it, those teams are undefeated, but Duke’s defensive numbers are elite! Some really debate that Virginia/Michigan are the best teams in college basketball without once acknowledging Duke is good on both offense and defense, something you need in the NCAA Tournament.

I think people have noticed. There was plenty of talk during the game last night about how the worst thing you can do against us is get sloppy with the ball, because that turns into turnovers and highlight dunks on the other end.

Reactions: youngman42 and dbav
I think people have noticed. There was plenty of talk during the game last night about how the worst thing you can do against us is get sloppy with the ball, because that turns into turnovers and highlight dunks on the other end.

I’m talking about the ones who claim UVA/Michigan are the best teams because of their defenses without acknowledging ours.

The way we’re doing it is even more impressive considering the age of the kids on our team.

I may be nitpicking, but the one thing the media has knocked Duke for in recent years is now a strength and it’s not being mentioned with the GREATS!

Duke is getting quite a bit of love from all directions right now, so I’m not going to really complain. Virginia and Michigan, even Texas Tech, need to be elite defensively every night. Plus, defense is what their coaches and programs are built around.

The TV in my office has been on all morning between ESPN and CBS Sports. It’s been a constant Duke/Zion loop on both channels. We’re getting our share of attention.

I think it's all about a consistent level. We haven't been good defensively for years, whereas uva has. Now if we go and beat Florida St by holding them in the 60's, then more attention will be given, not that we need any more.

I'm not worried about being an elite defensive team, as long as we are respectable on that side of the ball.

Reactions: skysdad
I like our D better than UVA or Michigan’s because of how aggressive we are. We get out in the passing lanes and block shots better than anyone.

We are super aggressive, and it’s exciting to watch. Don’t get me wrong, UVA’s D is impressive, but they aren’t aggressive at all. They are basically playing “smart, sit back and protect the lane, you gotta make three’s to beat us” type defense.

I hear a lot of analysts say “Virginia and Michigan” have the best defense in college ball without ever including Duke into that convo. I get it, those teams are undefeated, but Duke’s defensive numbers are elite! Some really debate that Virginia/Michigan are the best teams in college basketball without once acknowledging Duke is good on both offense and defense, something you need in the NCAA Tournament.

Spot on Q! Apparently, UVA is the team to beat this year. Or so the talking heads would have me believe. The announcer last night on ESPN, guy with Cornette could not wait to say the real test for Duke would come when they play UVA(forgetting Duke has played a bunch of ranked teams already and play games agianst top 15 teams before UVA). He did this 3 times that I counted too. Could not wait to pimp UVA and their defense. Forgetting that Duke has also a top 3 defense and they are doing it while playing one of the fastest paces offensively in the country. Something you will very rarely hear. Why is that? No clue but this love affair every year with UVA and how great their defense is is funny. I wonder when those pundits will start talking about how bad UVA's offense has been when they couldn't rely on that defense because the other team could score against it. (UMBC says 'sup)

Spot on Q! Apparently, UVA is the team to beat this year. Or so the talking heads would have me believe. The announcer last night on ESPN, guy with Cornette could not wait to say the real test for Duke would come when they play UVA(forgetting Duke has played a bunch of ranked teams already and play games agianst top 15 teams before UVA). He did this 3 times that I counted too. Could not wait to pimp UVA and their defense. Forgetting that Duke has also a top 3 defense and they are doing it while playing one of the fastest paces offensively in the country. Something you will very rarely hear. Why is that? No clue but this love affair every year with UVA and how great their defense is is funny. I wonder when those pundits will start talking about how bad UVA's offense has been when they couldn't rely on that defense because the other team could score against it. (UMBC says 'sup)

THIS! Yes, I couldn’t remember the guy’s name from last night but he’s definitely one of those talking heads. But I agree with EVERYTHING you said!

Reactions: denniden
zy39gP3.jpg

Reactions: Quavarius
Biggest thing I've observed in this years team as opposed to some of the teams the last few years is I have not seen the "turn your head and watch the man you are guarding go by you to the basket." It seems we have gave up so many lay ups ad easy baskets in the past just because the young guys had no idea of what the word defense meant. This years team is different. OFC

Adding to what Sky said, not only less standing around and watching, but the help side has been fantastic. You beat your man, you're looking one or more shot blockers in the face!

I have been mostly impressed with Bolden’s improvement on hedging on smaller players when he gets taken out of the paint. When an opponent gets into the lane, it’s like a pack of wolves collapsing to block his shot.

Reactions: HonkeyT

That’s what I honestly don’t get. UVA has branded themselves on defense but all they do is keep the other team from scoring. They don’t create turnovers or block shots that lead to fast breaks. Duke not only stops teams from scoring at the same rate. They get a TON of easy offense from their D. They switch everything and really demoralize the opponent. I can already hear people calling for calm but this has got to be the best defensive team I’ve ever seen.

Ironic, that traditionally Duke has played a stay at home defense with few rim protectors (going back even to Bilas on the Dawkins team), and this year it's just the opposite. The only thing I worry about is a team that can drive and pass out to the 3 point line. We haven't played a really good shooting team yet have we? Can't remember one. UVA could be that team.

Ironic, that traditionally Duke has played a stay at home defense with few rim protectors (going back even to Bilas on the Dawkins team), and this year it's just the opposite. The only thing I worry about is a team that can drive and pass out to the 3 point line. We haven't played a really good shooting team yet have we? Can't remember one. UVA could be that team.

Virginia is outstanding shooting the ball. UNC can be, as well. We're in for a grind this year in conference play.

Gonzaga may be the best shooting team in the country.
With that said, I'd love to play them in the Final Four, think the result would be much different this time.

We get plenty of love. I hope K posts some of this negative publicity for the team to see. If we want to make a statement, we need to win Saturday against the Seminoles, then beat Syracuse and Virginia at home. It would show the rest of the country we are the front runner if there's no doubt about the outcomes in all 3 games.

Defense and 3 point shooting were the question-marks going into the season.

Defense because when you have four freshmen in the starting lineup, no matter how athletic you are, it's a struggle to be a good defensive team because you have to develop communication skills. Last year was a great example. Lots of talent but Duke wound up playing zone. Part of that was the type of player but also part was the failure to communicate well. Same thing happened in the last freshman dominated title team in 2015. They played a good bit of zone on occasion b/c of the difficulties there.

So, it's surprising how good Duke has been in man-to-man D. Obviously the starting point for this D is Tre Jones. What a heck of a player he is. Coach K has raved about his D. If Jones played 4 years at Duke I suspect he would be ranked ahead of Hurley, Wojo, Amaker, Duhon, and Jay Williams as the best defensive guard in Duke history, and right there as the best overall PG in Duke history.

Jones is great. And I think the length of the other players has really helped along with their quickness. Duke is long and athletic and even though Zion is not tall for a low post PF defender his quick jumping verticality and surprising quick feet and hands really help the D.

Love it. This will be crucial when they have an off night against a difficult team in the NCAAs.

If Reddish can come around on 3 point shooting - Duke would be deadly come NCAA tourney time. Almost unstoppable.

Gonzaga and Auburn

We are actually showing to be a better defensive team than Virginia though. We’re number 2 and they’re 3. We’ve played better teams/offenses than them as well. So our place above them is pretty legit.

Forgot about Auburn. They shot 34.4% from 3 against us. We can live with that. I don't remember if we defended it well or they didn't shoot well. Hope it's the former. I'd love to be wrong about that being a weakness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT