ADVERTISEMENT

Whitehead declares for draft

Thank you for your time at Duke. He is projected first round he should go. He never rounded into form, but it was probably doubly frustrating for him. Him not being who we thought he could be was magnified when Mitchell got hurt. He never pouted about coming off the bench.

Didnt see enough of him to say if he will be a good pro or a temporary pro...about the usual outcome for the freshman we bring in...barely here, little impact ( due to injuries in his case), off to the pros.....good luck kid...and hire a good financial advisor you have a lot of life left!

Roach is gone, and it’s probably best him to move on. After watching the MCD AA game last night, not sure who should start the other guard next to Proctor. McCain can light it up from 3, but Foster (how was he snubbed?) had the more dominant senior season in HS.

Last edited:
I cant see how its best for Duke not to have a senior Roach.
Was driving and typed the wrong thought lol. I agree, a senior Roach would be great for us, I would love that.

Not sure it’s best for Roach to come back as we look to be deeper and better at guard than this past season. He should start making professional money.

I think Whitehead leaving is best for all involved. It seemed to me he had one foot out the door, especially with the injuries going down. It was time to move on and free up a scholarship
Agreed. Dariq is one of only a couple Duke kids I’ve ever seen that just didn’t seem to embrace Duke. It was about him and the next level the entire time. Hopefully Jon gets less of these recruits as time goes on.

Would much rather have Roach than an unknown guard. But I agree he is likely gone. Would stink if he transferred, but I doubt that happens.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Definite question marks with Whitehead. But enough promise to go in the later first round. If he slides to the second that would be a shame, but that seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Agreed. Dariq is one of only a couple Duke kids I’ve ever seen that just didn’t seem to embrace Duke. It was about him and the next level the entire time. Hopefully Jon gets less of these recruits as time goes on.
Do you have any examples or stories of this being the case? Seemed to me like he loved being at Duke and embraced his bench role.

Just was a tough season for him, injuries plagued him early, and failure to live up to his ranking I’m sure frustrated him.

Do you have any examples or stories of this being the case? Seemed to me like he loved being at Duke and embraced his bench role.

Just was a tough season for him, injuries plagued him early, and failure to live up to his ranking I’m sure frustrated him.
He prob handled it better than us keyboard All Stars

Yeah, I think Dariq loved his time here.

Yeah let’s pump the breaks on he didn’t buy in.

I think people are going to see whatever they want but he was 100% bought in. You can be a OAD before you step on campus and still be bought in. Both can be true. But fans are nuts, if you didn’t meet my expectations you weren’t bought in. Lively for example took a long time to get there, but all people saw was his recruiting services ranking and assumed he’s a bust and not bought in, which couldn’t be farther from the truth.

And to clarify, you can think someone is a bust, that’s subjective. But when you are basing your perception of someone being bought in strictly by your subjective expectations of them, I think that’s unfair if that makes sense.

Dariq didn't bitch once, to my knowledge, about not starting. He was probably the best NBA prospect on this team and he didn't complain about being a sixth man. The couple of interviews I saw with him he seemed like a really good dude. Let's try to chill on the criticisms of him that are much more hypotheses than issues grounded in fact.

I haven't seen one person bashing Whitehead here. We as a board are so mild compared to RR. If Dariq played for Kentucky and produced what he did, it would be MUCH worse.

I wish him well and he seems like a great kid. He will always be a Dukie and I'll always root for him. It's okay to say someone simply wasn't that great, regardless of HS rankings

Yeah let’s pump the breaks on he didn’t buy in.

I think people are going to see whatever they want but he was 100% bought in. You can be a OAD before you step on campus and still be bought in. Both can be true. But fans are nuts, if you didn’t meet my expectations you weren’t bought in. Lively for example took a long time to get there, but all people saw was his recruiting services ranking and assumed he’s a bust and not bought in, which couldn’t be farther from the truth.

And to clarify, you can think someone is a bust, that’s subjective. But when you are basing your perception of someone being bought in strictly by your subjective expectations of them, I think that’s unfair if that makes sense.
So wait, subjectivity doesn’t happen on these boards? And buy in is much different than embracing it.

100% bought in is subjective as well, unless you were in every behind the scenes convo and activity….

I haven't seen one person bashing Whitehead here. We as a board are so mild compared to RR. If Dariq played for Kentucky and produced what he did, it would be MUCH worse.

I wish him well and he seems like a great kid. He will always be a Dukie and I'll always root for him. It's okay to say someone simply wasn't that great, regardless of HS rankings
We have some that are very sensitive here my friend. This kid is on his way to make millions and to question then is blasphemy…..

Was driving and typed the wrong thought lol. I agree, a senior Roach would be great for us, I would love that.

Not sure it’s best for Roach to come back as we look to be deeper and better at guard than this past season. He should start making professional money.

Barring significant injury, professional money will be there. One more year won’t make a big difference for him.

An opportunity to win a National Championship as a player is gone forever once the decision to move on is made.

Winning a National Title is forever. It can never be taken away from you (barring NCAA infractions lol)

Of course it is not guaranteed to win, but leaving with another opportunity on the table DOES guarantee you will not.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
I'm in agreement with those that thought Dariq wanted to do well, and was a solid teammate. I could name a few from the past that I thought were much more concerned with their stat line than the teams, but he ain't one of them.

The only OAD I can confidently say never bought in was Jalen Johnson.
Yea I won’t argue - he was the biggest one. To me it’s not just you’re bought in or completely checked out. Some kids want to use this as a stepping stone, and don’t seem to be all in for the college experience. Not saying I blame them, I’d want to get paid too.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Story on Dariq Whitehead is unlocked.

Might shed some light on the discussion here. From what I saw/heard/observed throughout the season, he was as bought in to Duke's success as any other player. Crushed him that he got hurt the second time, because he'd just cleared the mental hurdles of returning from the preseason injury.
Thank you for the share.

Reactions: ConorONeill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT