ADVERTISEMENT

Which player do you think improved the most over their time at Duke?

Kevin Strickland is a great choice. Really turned himself into a great shooter by his senior season.

Kevin Strickland was my first favorite Duke guy so I'm glad to see him get mentioned in this, or any, positive discussion.

As the topic at hand goes, Nolan Smith gets my nod.

In four years, Smith went from a 4-Star role player to the second-best guard (Kemba Walker) and best two-way player in the country.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
I did in a previous post. Glad you mentioned him again. OFC
My bad, I missed your post.

30+ minutes per game as a 7ft center is pretty crazy.. he averaged more minutes than Vernon Carey, Wendell Carter, or Jahlil did.. I really wish there was another Plumlee brother.. hopefully they will each have some boys in a few years.

Reactions: skysdad
If Goldwire improves half as much this coming season as he did over the last 3 seasons, he may top this list..

He is one of, if not the lowest ranked player Duke has gave a scholarship to in at least the last 20 years.. and he has turned into a big time player for us.. I wish we had a couple Goldwire type players each season.. those are the types of players that you have to surround your McD’s All-Americans with.

For a lot of guys, I think a big part of the improvement was waiting their turn and getting an opportunity. Of course, they needed to put in the work and make the most of it. I remember Laettner saying he loved that you had to work your way up the system at Duke and nothing was handed to you, which is why he was so pissed when Coach K handed the keys to Bobby on day one.

A few people mentioned Boozer and Sanders, but the guy I’d go with from that recruiting class is Dunleavy. Pretty good as a FR, one of the heroes of the national championship game as a SO, and so good as a JR he had to go pro. I remember being shocked with the leap he took his JR year, even playing alongside Jason Williams, who was all-world. Might have been NPOY has he stayed for his SR season.

Shelden Williams was another guy who worked his way up the system. From my recollection, did not come in as polished offensively as Brand and Boozer before him. He and Shav had similar numbers their FR seasons. Shav battled injuries for the rest of his career and Shelden took the leap and ended up with his number in the rafters. Really improved as a low-post scorer, even in a JJ-centric offense, and we all know what he became on defense (the Landlord!).

Cherokee Parks - 5.0 ppg, 2.4 rpg, and Laettner’s whipping boy as a FR, to 19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, and a lottery pick as a SR. Another guy who doesn’t get mentioned a lot, since he followed the GOAT and was the main guy on the ill-fated 1994-95 team.
Great post and completely forgot about Cherokee nation!

If Goldwire improves half as much this coming season as he did over the last 3 seasons, he may top this list..

He is one of, if not the lowest ranked player Duke has gave a scholarship to in at least the last 20 years.. and he has turned into a big time player for us.. I wish we had a couple Goldwire type players each season.. those are the types of players that you have to surround your McD’s All-Americans with.
I don’t think he will top the list but you’re right about how much he’s improved and where he was ranked.

*I also want to keep doubting this kid, it seems to work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT