ADVERTISEMENT

UNC next coach?

Willcampbell

Cameron Crazy
Oct 20, 2004
CBS Sports listed the programs set to be successful for the next five years, and they had Carolina down at #8 due to NCAA situation and, according to them, that Ol' Roy may retire. (Duke was #1, by the way). It got me wondering who. if anyone, is in the pipeline for head man at UNC. Naturally, it's a nationally coveted position, but are there any UNC alums poised to take over? Who is in the Ol' Roy coaching family tree?
OFC

Hubert duh haha they really have nobody on deck that I could see getting it I mean Jason chapel was fired from app and I can't really think of anyone elae

Hubert duh haha they really have nobody on deck that I could see getting it I mean Jason chapel was fired from app and I can't really think of anyone elae
I couldn't think of anyone else either, which is sort of pathetic, considering we have Dawkins, Capel, Amaker, Collins, and Wojo, and maybe some I forgot. I know Lebo is a coach (still, I think) but he certainly hasn't impressed the world. Think it might have something to do with, dare I say it, brains?
OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Yeah I didn't think about Lebo but seriously that would be awful.. As well as buzz Peterson and Wes miller who was fired from UNCG

UNC gets who they want. If they want Coach K they will get Coach K but they don't want Coach K. If they want Cal. they will get Cal but they don't want Cal. If they want Tony Bennett they will get Tony Bennett but they don't want Tony Bennett. If they want Brad Stevens they will get Brad Stevens but they don't want Brad Stevens. If they want Sean Miller they will get Sean Miller but they don't want Sean Miller. I think it's down to these. Hubert "cackles " Davis who is my favorite. And dark horse Larry Brown. I don't care if he will be 75 years old he will fit right in. He should have SMU on probation by then and would fit right in with UNCCHEAT. OFC

Reactions: gottagonow
With Roy's health and the NCAA stuff, I think he's done either after this year or next (depending on sanctions). I've always thought his extension was a retirement package and a little "hush" money because of the timing. Carolina gets hit with postseason ban(s)/sanctions, Roy steps down, Hubert is there to be the good company man and ride it out until they're off the hook with the NCAA while auditioning for a job, and they then hire a big name...outside the family.

Can't wait to see Hubert Davis roaming the sideline as Luke Maye has his All-ACC career take off.

Reactions: skysdad
UNC gets who they want. If they want Coach K they will get Coach K but they don't want Coach K. If they want Cal. they will get Cal but they don't want Cal. If they want Tony Bennett they will get Tony Bennett but they don't want Tony Bennett. If they want Brad Stevens they will get Brad Stevens but they don't want Brad Stevens. If they want Sean Miller they will get Sean Miller but they don't want Sean Miller. I think it's down to these. Hubert "cackles " Davis who is my favorite. And dark horse Larry Brown. I don't care if he will be 75 years old he will fit right in. He should have SMU on probation by then and would fit right in with UNCCHEAT. OFC

Larry Brown came to my mind as well. What a great Tar Heel.

Reactions: skysdad
I would love for Rashad McCants to be the head coach! :D

However, I as well look for Roy to retire in the next 5 years. I then think with the academic scandal that currently hangs over UNC, they will look to try to find a coach that can bring a new look to the program. I think they make a big push for Sean Miller from Arizona.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

However, I as well look for Roy to retire in the next 5 years. I then think with the academic scandal that currently hangs over UNC, they will look to try to find a coach that can bring a new look to the program. I think they make a big push for Sean Miller from Arizona.
Sean Miller would be a good hire for anyone. I'd also like to see what Mark Few could do in a real conference.

Reactions: Skeelow22

I'm gonna have a hard time poking fun at Sean miller. It's got to be Davis or Brown. OFC

I think the search for Roy's successor is interesting. The Tar Heel faithful always are ready to assure us Duke fans that Duke is going down hard after K. Well, I personally, think they could very well have as big (or bigger) problem than Duke replacing K (not that anyone can really replace him).

Sure K has been the face of Duke basketball for 35 years. But Dean was the face of UNC for over 30 years, and still has his fingerprints all over the program. After Smith retired, the keys were handed over to yet another longtime employee and 'family' member, Bill Guthridge. And again after that to a former UNC player, Matt Doherty. When everyone revolted against Matt, Dean was able, on his second try, to convince Roy Williams to come back to the fold...even though Roy didn't giva shite about Carolina. That brings us to now. For one thing, there is nothing dangling on the Carolina family tree like a Roy Williams. Love him or hate him, Roy has won games, lots of them...and championships (whether tainted or not). I believe Hubert was brought in to be groomed to replace Roy, but he obviously is an unproven product. There are a few other possibilities on the family tree, but still no one with a track record worthy of inheriting the almighty UNC basketball program.

The question is will they still stay in the family after 50 years of Dean Smith's handiwork, or go outside? I think that's so intriguing because all I've ever heard is about the 'Carolina family', and why that is what makes UNC so special. But, of course, that was before the scandal. I'm sure the UNC program is capable of getting a top flight coach to come to Chapel Hill, but going outside the family (after 5 years of an ongoing scandal) will end the trail of footsteps that have always lead back to Dean Smith.

OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
Honestly the two names that came to my mind first, after praying as hard as I could that Roy never leaves, were the Millers- Sean & Archie. Both would be a fantastic fit for a big time blue blood program. Sean Miller obviously is already doing it at a big name school and what Archie is doing isn't peanuts. I hope neither actually take the job or are even offered and I hope the UNC pride gets int he way and they stay within the family.

The other guy would be MD's Mark Turgeon- a Roy disciple.

I get the feeling they stay in the family. Just a hunch, but it seems like their MO.

I hope K stays until he is 80 or so. I have the feeling the program will take a nose dive for a few years after he leaves. It is hard to replace a legend.

I hope K stays until he is 80 or so. I have the feeling the program will take a nose dive for a few years after he leaves. It is hard to replace a legend.

I don't think Coach K is going to stay until he's 80. Maybe 75 but probably not that. I think he will leave the program in excellent shape. Right now he is letting his staff make a lot of decisions on the court, doing some serious recruiting and he was doing so when Wojo and Collins took jobs. Jeff Capel already has proven himself a very worthy coach. Don't get me wrong there will not be another Coach K coming down the pipe. One thing we need to as Duke fans is support the new coach because the one that gets the job will be the one with Coach K's blessing. We can't and shouldn't expect a national championship the year after Coach K leaves and if not start asking for the new coach's hide. I don't expect any of you to remember an. what I'm about to say but if any of you here on this board that suddenly stop being Duke fans then you are a bunch of wussy, band wagon riding, Tar Heel wanna bes's. Folks it' gonna happen, Coach K will leave. I challenge every danged, daggum one of you to be the same Blue Devil fan then as you are today. If you don't I'll get ya. I mean it. OFC

I'm gonns throw out Clifton the handler bas the next UNC coach. Makes perfect since.OFC

We will still have a premier program when K leaves. There is no question about that. Depending when he leaves, Jeff Capel looks like the front runner, but Bobby Hurley could be the dark horse, especially if Jeff left for another head coaching job in the meantime. But my strong gut tells me it's Jeff.

I can't think of anyone in the family that could possibly be worthy of coaching that team. I actually like Hubert, but he has no track record to suggest he's capable. I think they have to go outside. Mark Few could be a good fit, as could Brad Stevens. No way Bennett leaves UVa. He's going to keep the Hoos on the map for a long time. I could see Shaka Smart leaving Texas for a real basketball school.

You know HOF Coach Roy Williams time as the UNC coach may depend on how long Coach K is at Duke. HOF Coach Roy Williams may decide to coach to age 85,90 or even 95 if he feels he can pass Coach K in wins. You know he is obsessed with his "friend " Mike. But to do that Coach K would have to quit real soon. :D OFC

I don't think Coach K is going to stay until he's 80. Maybe 75 but probably not that. I think he will leave the program in excellent shape. Right now he is letting his staff make a lot of decisions on the court, doing some serious recruiting and he was doing so when Wojo and Collins took jobs. Jeff Capel already has proven himself a very worthy coach. Don't get me wrong there will not be another Coach K coming down the pipe. One thing we need to as Duke fans is support the new coach because the one that gets the job will be the one with Coach K's blessing. We can't and shouldn't expect a national championship the year after Coach K leaves and if not start asking for the new coach's hide. I don't expect any of you to remember an. what I'm about to say but if any of you here on this board that suddenly stop being Duke fans then you are a bunch of wussy, band wagon riding, Tar Heel wanna bes's. Folks it' gonna happen, Coach K will leave. I challenge every danged, daggum one of you to be the same Blue Devil fan then as you are today. If you don't I'll get ya. I mean it. OFC
I became a Duke fan in the early '60's and have been ever since. I have seen coaches come and go , here and at many other schools over the years. And, I expect a huge drop off when K leaves. It just always seems to happen-everywhere in every sport. Who followed Wooden, I don't remember , do you. Who followed Knight to UI? Who followed Bryant, I have no idea. It has nothing to do with not supporting whoever comes next. I will always be a Duke fan but expectations will not be the same . Hope you are right . I just doubt it. sorry. Has nothing to do with how he leaves the program. I do have confidence that the AD will find someone who will do a good job, it will just take a while . And , hiring someone from within the family sometimes doesn't work out as well as going outside and getting a proven winner. One thing is for certain, Duke , with its reputation should be able to pick and chose who it wants.

I became a Duke fan in the early '60's and have been ever since. I have seen coaches come and go , here and at many other schools over the years. And, I expect a huge drop off when K leaves. It just always seems to happen-everywhere in every sport. Who followed Wooden, I don't remember , do you. Who followed Knight to UI? Who followed Bryant, I have no idea. It has nothing to do with not supporting whoever comes next. I will always be a Duke fan but expectations will not be the same . Hope you are right . I just doubt it. sorry. Has nothing to do with how he leaves the program. I do have confidence that the AD will find someone who will do a good job, it will just take a while . And , hiring someone from within the family sometimes doesn't work out as well as going outside and getting a proven winner. One thing is for certain, Duke , with its reputation should be able to pick and chose who it wants.
I'm sorry but this is just ignorant. U fail to mention UK or UNC or even Kansas who all have succeeded with many coaches. Duke is Duke and currently the best team in the country and has been the best program since the 86 season. To think we will "nose dive" like IU who ran off there coach so they had 0 help with the turnover and UCLA who modern times caught up with and didn't have an infrastructure set up to succedd past the wooden era. We are a top 4 program of ALL TIME to suggest we can't sustain it shows a complete lack of faith and is really ridiculous. Even if the initial turnover we are "down" by our standards we are a top tier program who any coach will want the job outside of a few cases like Caliperi but we will draw a big name I promise if it comes down to going outside.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
And, I expect a huge drop off when K leaves
Strongly disagree.

Who followed Knight to UI?.
Mike Davis, who had the Hoosiers in the title game in year 2.

I will always be a Duke fan but expectations will not be the same.
Speak for yourself.

Has nothing to do with how he leaves the program
Wrong. It has everything to do with how Coach K leaves the program and who is on the roster/staff.

I do have confidence that the AD will find someone who will do a good job, it will just take a while.
Wrong on both fronts. Coach K will very well likely pick his successor, and the process will not be long.

I'm sorry but this is just ignorant. U fail to mention UK or UNC or even Kansas who all have succeeded with many coaches. Duke is Duke and currently the best team in the country and has been the best program since the 86 season. To think we will "nose dive" like IU who ran off there coach so they had 0 help with the turnover and UCLA who modern times caught up with and didn't have an infrastructure set up to succedd past the wooden era. We are a top 4 program of ALL TIME to suggest we can't sustain it shows a complete lack of faith and is really ridiculous. Even if the initial turnover we are "down" by our standards we are a top tier program who any coach will want the job outside of a few cases like Caliperi but we will draw a big name I promise if it comes down to going outside.
sorry if mho riles you. You have your opinion I have mine. I just can't believe when K leaves there will not be a drop off. Hope I am wrong. Last , I won't lower myself to calling others opinions ignorant just because I don't happen to agree with them but you go ahead. I see too much of that crap on other sites.

I am very much ready for Roy to leave. Also really don't want Hubert or some of the other UNC alums - just not a fan of Hubert.

I actually would not mind a good coach from elsewhere coming in who actually had class (unlike Roy, who is a phony; and Hubert who is just a hater). Few might be a good choice. Or a Tony Bennett if he wanted to. Rivalry would still be there but it would hopefully show some class (the way K does toward other teams).

It is always difficult to walk in the steps of a legend - so Duke will have a tough go. Rarely does it happen that the coach who immediately follows a legend keeps the program going in the same place. It didn't happen with Dean and it didn't happen with Knight (getting to the championship game - as noted above - is not the same as keeping a program going. Davis ultimately failed.) or Denny Crum or Wooden.

If we were fortunate enough to find another K to walk in (or someone who could keep Duke competitive as a top 5 program for years) - it would be astounding.

People have re-written history with regards to UCLA (that tends to happen on the internet)

John Wooden retired after winning his 10th NCAA title in 1975. Urban Legend has it that UCLA was vanquished to the abyss afterward.

here is what actually happened.

1975-76- 28-4 record, NCAA Final Four. (yep, a season after Wooden leaves Gene Bartow steps in and takes them right back to the Promised Land.
1976-77- 24-5 record, NCAA Sweet sixteen

Bartow only coached two seasons and had a 52-9 record and then Gary Cunningham became their coach.

1977-78, 25-3 record (14-0 in Pac 10) NCAA Sweet 16
1978-79, 25-5 record, NCAA Elite 8

Gary Cunninghams two year stint produced a 50-8 record. Then came Larry Brown.

1979-80, 22-10 record, NCAA Final Four, (lost in National Final to Louisville)
1980-81, 20-7 record, NCAA round of 32

Six seasons after Wooden, three different coaches, excellent overall records and two immediate Final Fours in the first four years post-Wooden.

In the 1980's, Larry Farmer had them three years, had a respectable 61-23 record, didn't make much noise in the post-season though.

Walt Hazzard (easily their worst post-Wooden coach) was 77-47 in four seasons. UCLA did win an NIT Championship in one of his years.

I think everybody remembers the rest. Jim Harrick, excellent records and won the 1995 National Championship.

Steve Lavin, nothing great but the guy went to 6 of 7 NCAA Tournaments and averaged a sweet 16. In fact of those six tournies only once did he fail to win two games in the NCAA'S.

Ben Howland? yea he had two losing years there but also had several years of great records and how about THREE Straight Final Fours?

Hell Steve Alford has made the sweet 16 in each of his first two seasons with them.

Of course they weren't going to keep winning the damn NCAA Championship after Wooden. But you know what? neither was Wooden had he stayed on. The format was changing, more teams were being invited, UCLA could no longer avoid Eastern teams until the NCAA Final. (see what happened when they finally had to play one in NC State in 1974?) but when I look at their post-Wooden years I see lots of wins, Final Fours under FOUR coaches and another NCAA title. It's a myth that UCLA died post-Wooden, tons of schools would kill to have their record from 1976-2015.

People have re-written history with regards to UCLA (that tends to happen on the internet)

John Wooden retired after winning his 10th NCAA title in 1975. Urban Legend has it that UCLA was vanquished to the abyss afterward.

here is what actually happened.

1975-76- 28-4 record, NCAA Final Four. (yep, a season after Wooden leaves Gene Bartow steps in and takes them right back to the Promised Land.
1976-77- 24-5 record, NCAA Sweet sixteen

Bartow only coached two seasons and had a 52-9 record and then Gary Cunningham became their coach.

1977-78, 25-3 record (14-0 in Pac 10) NCAA Sweet 16
1978-79, 25-5 record, NCAA Elite 8

Gary Cunninghams two year stint produced a 50-8 record. Then came Larry Brown.

1979-80, 22-10 record, NCAA Final Four, (lost in National Final to Louisville)
1980-81, 20-7 record, NCAA round of 32

Six seasons after Wooden, three different coaches, excellent overall records and two immediate Final Fours in the first four years post-Wooden.

In the 1980's, Larry Farmer had them three years, had a respectable 61-23 record, didn't make much noise in the post-season though.

Walt Hazzard (easily their worst post-Wooden coach) was 77-47 in four seasons. UCLA did win an NIT Championship in one of his years.

I think everybody remembers the rest. Jim Harrick, excellent records and won the 1995 National Championship.

Steve Lavin, nothing great but the guy went to 6 of 7 NCAA Tournaments and averaged a sweet 16. In fact of those six tournies only once did he fail to win two games in the NCAA'S.

Ben Howland? yea he had two losing years there but also had several years of great records and how about THREE Straight Final Fours?

Hell Steve Alford has made the sweet 16 in his each of his first two seasons with them.

Of course they weren't going to keep winning the damn NCAA Championship after Wooden. But you know what? neither was Wooden had he stayed on. The format was changing, more teams were being invited, UCLA could not longer avoid Eastern teams until NCAA Final. (see what happened when they finally had to play one in NC State in 1974?) but when I look at their post-Wooden years I see lots of wins, Final Fours under FOUR coaches and another NCAA title. It's a myth that UCLA died post-Wooden, tons of schools would kill to have their record from 1976-2015.

UCLA didn't die, but they went down. Bartow finally left after extreme pressure. He never won a title. When you win 10 titles in 12 years - success would be at least a title from the next coach. No one think UCLA "died" - that's a straw man in your argument. But, the program did go down and won, what, one title since then and had to wait 20 years at that. UCLA will always be a draw - it has a great tradition; it's a great school academically; and it's in So Cal.

But, as I noted above, when you look at the programs post Knight, Wooden, Dean, Crum, etc. there was a drop off with the next coach. The biggest exception is Roy at UNC (and later, Pitino at Louisville). But, Indiana, as great a tradition as it had even before Knight, has done nothing significant since. What usually has to happen is a coach or two has to go through tough times and there is a turnover until a fresh face comes along (as with Roy or Pitino) who doesn't have the direct pressure of expectation from the great coach of the past - but sets his own expectations and brings a refreshing change to the program.

UCLA didn't die, but they went down. Bartow finally left after extreme pressure. He never won a title. When you win 10 titles in 12 years - success would be at least a title from the next coach. No one think UCLA "died" - that's a straw man in your argument. But, the program did go down and won, what, one title since then and had to wait 20 years at that. UCLA will always be a draw - it has a great tradition; it's a great school academically; and it's in So Cal.

But, as I noted above, when you look at the programs post Knight, Wooden, Dean, Crum, etc. there was a drop off with the next coach. The biggest exception is Roy at UNC (and later, Pitino at Louisville). But, Indiana, as great a tradition as it had even before Knight, has done nothing significant since. What usually has to happen is a coach or two has to go through tough times and there is a turnover until a fresh face comes along (as with Roy or Pitino) who doesn't have the direct pressure of expectation from the great coach of the past - but sets his own expectations and brings a refreshing change to the program.

If your sole standard is the NCAA title, of course they went down as there was simply no way that was going to continue. And if you've noticed, no school has had a monopoly on the National Championship after Wooden. But they were a FINAL FOUR program in those first years after Wooden which is a big deal and it gets completely ignored by your average Joe fan. To me what hurts UCLA is that they easily have the worst fan support of the great programs. The absolute worst. They're a secondary attraction in a town that loves it's professional sports teams.

Last edited:
The original poster who started this said "huge" drop off. Not my words, but his.

I'm not sure anyone here doesn't expect there to be a drop off. After all, we're talking about the greatest coach in modern college basketball history. With that are going to come some hurdles. If you don't expect that then you're naive.

But a huge drop off? That's, of course, open to opinion and definition. K can't be replaced. He won't be replaced on certain levels. But the program will go on. Does it at the same level? Initially, I'd have to agree it doesn't, but that's also because the GOAT is gone.

Again, what is the definition of a huge drop off? That meaning can be different to different people. Does it mean that over the next 30 years we don't make 12 Final Fours and win five national championships? What if we go to two Final Fours and win one national championship in the 10 years post-K....does that justify something huge? I don't know and it's open to interpretation. So really, nobody can be right or wrong.

History would suggest things won't be "as" good. But really, it'd be hard in today's game to get better, relatively speaking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT