ADVERTISEMENT

Tyus Jones

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
This has kind of flown under the radar, and it shouldn’t.

Last night Tyus completed his fourth NBA season. He also made NBA history finishing the season with an astounding 6.8:1 assist/turnover ratio. That’s certifiably insane. No player has ever —EVER — recorded better than 6:1.

Mugsy Bogues recorded 5.94:1 back in the day. He was the previous best.

Happy for Tyus, I hope he goes to a team that will make him a consistent starter. He is too good to be coming off the bench.
Tibbs was the worst coach Tyus could have ever played for when he took over for Minnesota. Jackass literally tried to recreate the bulls and kept overlooking Tyus and stats that backed up his time when given.

Everything I'm reading, the Wolves are gonna be moving on from Teague this summer. Hopefully Tyus finally gets a chance as a full-time starter.

If not, would love to see him on a different team.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Happy for Tyus, I hope he goes to a team that will make him a consistent starter. He is too good to be coming off the bench.

Tyus still needs to become a consistent scoring threat. That's been his downfall. Unfortunately, Jeff Teague has something like a $19 million option next season....so he'll be back. The Wolves will pick up their option on Tyus with the hopes he can become the regular starter for the 2020-21 season.

Everything I'm reading, the Wolves are gonna be moving on from Teague this summer. Hopefully Tyus finally gets a chance as a full-time starter.

If not, would love to see him on a different team.
I know right. I hate watching the NBA, but will watch our former players. Tyus be doing work man when he is playing. He should be starting in the league no doubt.

Tyus still needs to become a consistent scoring threat. That's been his downfall. Unfortunately, Jeff Teague has something like a $19 million option next season....so he'll be back. The Wolves will pick up their option on Tyus with the hopes he can become the regular starter for the 2020-21 season.
Didn't know it was a player option. I expect the summer to be insane with player movement, hopefully he gets dumped.

These Jones boys are ridiculous with the way they don’t make mistakes with the ball. It’s truly amazing. They get this point guard stuff. 10-15 years ago they would be highly coveted and playing a lot of minutes in the nba when there were true point guards

This has kind of flown under the radar, and it shouldn’t.

Last night Tyus completed his fourth NBA season. He also made NBA history finishing the season with an astounding 6.8:1 assist/turnover ratio. That’s certifiably insane. No player has ever —EVER — recorded better than 6:1.

Mugsy Bogues recorded 5.94:1 back in the day. He was the previous best.
Outstanding. Him and Tre just refuse to make bad decisions with the ball. He should get paid on his next contract.

That kid has stones.

Hypothetically, if Tyus gets traded to the Knicks, and they win the lottery and select Zion, I will actually watch an NBA game next season.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Tyus will almost certainly be in a Wolves uniform next season. I just don't see how they move on from him.

I think it depends on a few things:

- A lot on the Derrick Rose situation, as he is a FA too. Fan base is very split on him, I'm on the side of letting him go to allow more Tyus time. If they sign him, Tyus will see less time, but again Teague will be key as Saunders used Rose much more like Jamal Crawford once Thibs was gone, rather than giving him 38 minutes if he was hot. So Tyus could still start if it's him and Rose.

- Ryan Saunders is a key, if he moves up from interim to full time, Tyus very likely isn't going anywhere. The two are really good friends and Saunders understands the ability Tyus has.

- Teague I'm less concerned about if he picks up his option, as pre-deadline he'll be a very attractive trade piece as a competent player on a huge expiring deal, which will free up Tyus playing time.

- Finally, Andrew Wiggins. If the Wolves find a taker of Wiggins terrible contract this summer, it could be very likely that in order to get the deal done the other team requires the Wolves include Tyus. Then he could be gone, as the Wolves will be desperate to get rid of Wiggins contract if possible. But the chances of that are slim.

Reactions: jwill133
So happy to see our guys in the league doing great things. He's setting himself up for a nice payday once it's time to get his new contract. Justise already got his last offseason. Jah has shown some signs of life this season which was beyond important for his career. Even as a high lottery pick, he was running low on chances.

I watched some of his games. Not real aggressive defense, he runs the Ball down the floor makes a nice pass to someone who lays it in. His game was conservative and it paid off. He would drive in sometimes and score or pull up for a three. Very workmanlike out there.

I didn’t see what others saw in Tyus when he was in high school. Then he came to Duke and.... wow he was special. Well, he still is. Him and Tre aren’t accidents though, their mother is a very special woman and their whole family are just something else. Glad to have them in the Duke family.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
He’s getting it done off the court as well.

GvIpLLN.jpg

https://www.nba.com/amp/timberwolves/news/tyus-jones-wins-2018-19-flip-saunders-legacy-award

Last edited:
With the focus being so much on how the game has changed with bigs, the death of the pass-first, set-up point guard is seriously understated. With his vision and ability, Tyus would have thrived in the 80’s and 90’s NBA. He’s a throwback to a different era.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT