ADVERTISEMENT

TV Teddy Valentine

We did get beat. I’m not saying it’s what it cost us the game. But that particular instance was unprofessional on the part of the referee. Joel deserved an explanation not a snub.
Why did he deserve an explanation? How long would games take if the players deserved an explanation after every call/no call that didn't go their way? Next play.

I watched most of the game and the officials called a good game. Unfortunate that Berry got showed up like that but it happens. Berry might ought to watch some film of Coach K on ref etiquette.

Why did he deserve an explanation? How long would games take if the players deserved an explanation after every call/no call that didn't go their way? Next play.

Tell him straight up you’re not gonna answer it. Don’t turn your back on him just to show him up. Joel is a captain and didn’t deserve that kind of disrespect when he showed none.

Tell him straight up you’re not gonna answer it. Don’t turn your back on him just to show him up. Joel is a captain and didn’t deserve that kind of disrespect when he showed none.
I agree. You don’t do that to any player and you especially don’t do it to the team captain. The reason being is that before the game the refs meet with the captains of both teams and specifically tell them they are the communicators for their respective teams with the refs during the game. TV Teddy was putting on a show and looks like a complete and utter douche.

In what way? He was at least owed an explanation.

Anyone who knows me is aware I will NEVER blame the refs for a loss. But teddy valentine was in the wrong here not JB.
I would imagine JB was in a pretty pissy mood the other night. Florida State was on the verge of putting a whoopin on the Heels in the 1st half. And CJ Walker was having a damn good game. That's why Berry got chippy with Walker and was probably chippy in general the other night. So understandably Teddy TV wasn't trying to hear anything from him and turned his back on him. And yes it wasn't exactly necessary to turn his back on Berry, but Teddy is a confident game official and that just so happens to be how he decided to deal with him.
I feel both Teddy and Berry could have handled themselves better and neither are innocent here.

I would imagine JB was in a pretty pissy mood the other night. Florida State was on the verge of putting a whoopin on the Heels in the 1st half. And CJ Walker was having a damn good game. That's why Berry got chippy with Walker and was probably chippy in general the other night. So understandably Teddy TV wasn't trying to hear anything from him and turned his back on him. And yes it wasn't exactly necessary to turn his back on Berry, but Teddy is a confident game official and that just so happens to be how he decided to deal with him.
I feel both Teddy and Berry could have handled themselves better and neither are innocent here.

Yeah and I like what So Cal said: none of us were there, and know how much lip Berry may have been giving the officials. OFC

Reactions: topps coach
Gee, maybe Teddy had been telling him all game to pipe down. But hey, you had to have been there, right?

Yeah and I like what So Cal said: none of us were there, and know how much lip Berry may have been giving the officials. OFC

You guys are insinuating that’s what happened but you don’t know that anymore than I do.

What I do know, is that valentine did not have to act like a douche to get his point across. And JB does not have a bad history of being disrespectful to the officials.

I agree. You don’t do that to any player and you especially don’t do it to the team captain. The reason being is that before the game the refs meet with the captains of both teams and specifically tell them they are the communicators for their respective teams with the refs during the game. TV Teddy was putting on a show and looks like a complete and utter douche.

100% agree. It’d be the same were the shoe on the other foot.

I wouldn’t go that far in criticizing Teddy. He’s got a very hard and thankless job

Well, I went back and watched it again. And...yeah, Valentine shouldn't have turned his back on him, but hell he could have given Berry a T for slapping the ball if he wanted to.

OFC

All refs do i agree. Teddy though, has earned his critics by his antics and as a duke fan, he’s been straight up awful.
Maybe I need to do some research on Teddy. Watching games through the years, I’ve just noticed that he’s a confident game official.
As a Duke fan, I’m getting some good laughs out of this whole incident. It’s being overblown. And I know that because if the Heels simply would have won the game, their fans wouldn’t be feeling bitter, and wouldn’t be needing to hold onto this Teddy moment like it’s this great “injustice”.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Maybe not, but it still would have made headlines. You know you would hate it if valentine did that to Grayson Allen or Marvin Bagley
Maybe not, but it still would have made headlines. You know you would hate it if valentine did that to Grayson Allen or Mar
You guys are insinuating that’s what happened but you don’t know that anymore than I do.

What I do know, is that valentine did not have to act like a douche to get his point across. And JB does not have a bad history of being disrespectful to the officials.

BS, you don't know what was happening, and you're pissed because it's a UNCheat player. Valentine is rated as a top ref, and while I'm not a big fan myself, we don't know what was happening.

Maybe I need to do some research on Teddy. Watching games through the years, I’ve just noticed that he’s a confident game official.
As a Duke fan, I’m getting some good laughs out of this whole incident. It’s being overblown. And I know that because if the Heels simply would have won the game, their fans wouldn’t be feeling bitter, and wouldn’t be needing to hold onto this Teddy moment like it’s this great “injustice”.
I’ve seen you refer to Teddy Valentine as a confident official in several of your posts but what does him being a confident official have to do with him turning his back on a player when that player asks for an explanation/clarification on a call?

BS, you don't know what was happening, and you're pissed because it's a UNCheat player. Valentine is rated as a top ref, and while I'm not a big fan myself, we don't know what was happening.

But that’s my point, you don’t know what happened either. At this point, it’s what we think based on our respective fandoms. I’m inclined to give JB the benefit of the doubt, you’re not.

Overall, I think valentine highly disrespected JB and I saw nothing that warranted valentine treating him like that. Alas, I know most will not agree with that statement.

I’ve seen you refer to Teddy Valentine as a confident official in several of your posts but what does him being a confident official have to do with him turning his back on a player when that player asks for an explanation/clarification on a call?
I should say confident and authoritative. Two qualities that are essential for any game official. JB pissed Teddy off. So Teddy did what he had to do to take control of the situation and the game. Obviously it wasn't "textbook" officiating technique, but it got the job done.

Lol, turning your back on someone is the new tripping.

TV teddy should have a psychological evaluation, make sure he’s all right in the head.
Yep he needs to be suspended indefinitely. How dare he turn his back on the npoy and future top 50 all time nba. Give me a break. They re just pissed because they lost and have to blame someone other than they just got their a**es whipped. Love it when they lose and if there’s controversy it makes it a little sweeter.
Hell why don’t they start a petition?

But that’s my point, you don’t know what happened either. At this point, it’s what we think based on our respective fandoms. I’m inclined to give JB the benefit of the doubt, you’re not.

Overall, I think valentine highly disrespected JB and I saw nothing that warranted valentine treating him like that. Alas, I know most will not agree with that statement.

Funny thing is, things like this happen pretty frequently, just not with as much drama. It's only a problem now because of the "act" of turning around, and it being caught on TV. And for the Duke fans here who agree with the Hole fan; were you guys so upset when Luke literally slapped an officials hand away who tried to help him up?

I wasn't; it's part of the game, along with what Teddy did....

Yep he needs to be suspended indefinitely. How dare he turn his back on the npoy and future top 50 all time nba. Give me a break. They re just pissed because they lost and have to blame someone other than they just got their a**es whipped. Love it when they lose and if there’s controversy it makes it a little sweeter.

Ah the infamous petition!!!

https://www.elitedaily.com/sports/unc-petition-national-championship-villanova/1450424

OFC

So on one hand we have a player who, while plays gritty, does not have a history of being dirty or garnering excessive technical fouls from refs. He's earned the Captain role and part of that role is to be a liaison from the refs to the the rest of his team.

On the other hand, we have a ref who's known for his histrionics and been granted the moniker, 'TV Teddy' for all his behavior.

While it's true no one really knows that happened, it could be safe to assume Teddy was in the wrong here.

Reactions: carolinablue34
So on one hand we have a player who, while plays gritty, does not have a history of being dirty or garnering excessive technical fouls from refs. He's earned the Captain role and part of that role is to be a liaison from the refs to the the rest of his team.

On the other hand, we have a ref who's known for his histrionics and been granted the moniker, 'TV Teddy' for all his behavior.

While it's true no one really knows that happened, it could be safe to assume Teddy was in the wrong here.

Berry is constantly working the refs and complains about no calls a lot. TV Teddy was just showing Berry his antics wasn't going to influence him. Kudos to TV Teddy.

I sure hope you're not an attorney....in all seriousness.

From such an unbiased perspective!

OFC

8LMstEN.jpg

OFC

I think you might be on to here. Maybe Valentine had a senior moment and just different realize what he was doing. We've all had those moments when we back talked back to a teacher or parent and ended up regretting it. He just forgot who he was turning his back to . I feel sure that hof coach roy williams has contacted john swofford and swofford has contacted fred bearcat or who ever is over the ACC officials and appropriate discipline will be handed down. Also a petition is not out of the question. The NCAA found out that you don't mess with unc. I think maybe T.V. Valentine may be going on hiatus. OFC

Reactions: GillJET
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT