ADVERTISEMENT

TV Teddy Valentine

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
I'm sure many have seen the latest on TV Teddy. He definitely likes to be a part of the show?

What is everyone's thoughts on this most recent incident? I guess looking at it from another angle, I would think it's pretty disrespectful had he done this to Grayson, as well.....and really, he shouldn't be doing it to any player.

Past history suggests this is once again Teddy being Teddy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...alentine-turns-back-north-carolina-joel-berry

It's pretty unacceptable. You can hate UNC, Joel Berry, or anyone for that matter - it's pretty ridiculous that an official makes it about himself. Teddy has a history of pulling things like this. He should have a short leash already and the latest incident should get him suspended for some time and he owes Joel Berry an apology.

Reactions: Dad2ze
Since it happened to a UNC player...I'm cool with it.

But really, I think it's terrible for a ref to turn his back on an athlete, much less a college kid getting paid $0. Refs and players need to communicate and be on the same page. I actually think the NBA does it better than anyone, always see a lot of communication between refs and the players, of course there are outliers (Boogie Cousins cough cough.)

Let's resist the urge to judge a 10 second clip out of context. Maybe Berry/UNC had been working him a little too hard prior to that moment? I didn't watch the game, because I don't like watching mediocre basketball, but perhaps this wasn't a personal gesture. Even if not, Teddy needs to realize how this looks to a wider audience and try and be less theatrical about his job. That's not what he's getting paid to do.

Valentine is not a favorite of mine, but get one thing straight, if he had turned his back on Grayson Allen...the media, Heel fans, and everyone else (except Duke fans) wouldn't have given a damn. Probably would have erected a statue of him.

OFC

Hard for me to get upset at this incident. How many bad calls has he made over the years that went UNC's way and in a few cases led directly to their victories? I could swear I've heard UNC crowd cheering him prior to games.

If UNC wins this is a non-issue. Berry was already hot w/an FSU player under the basket earlier in the half, had to be separated. Perhaps Valentine had had enough of him.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad and GillJET
If you are talking about a ref because of several incidents he is not a very good ref period......

A GREAT ref is a ref that you did not even know was there. He calls the game clean and fair and takes his check and leaves.

I can’t stand Teddy, but a ref doesn’t owe a player an explanation at all. Now if a coach asks, I can see the ref speaking to him. Besides, it happened to the holes, so I think it’s funny.

Reactions: Mac9192
He's called TV Teddy for a reason. Everytime he refs one of our games i get uneasy.

Valentine is not a favorite of mine, but get one thing straight, if he had turned his back on Grayson Allen...the media, Heel fans, and everyone else (except Duke fans) wouldn't have given a damn. Probably would have erected a statue of him.

OFC

I disagree. Grayson was certainly made out to be a bad guy last season, but he shoulders much of the blame. He was the one in the wrong. Did some of go overboard? Of course it did.

Now, do I think this is ‘more’ of a story because it’s Joel Berry and UNC? Probably. But I think that could be said if it had happened to Duke, too.

Let's resist the urge to judge a 10 second clip out of context. Maybe Berry/UNC had been working him a little too hard prior to that moment? I didn't watch the game, because I don't like watching mediocre basketball, but perhaps this wasn't a personal gesture. Even if not, Teddy needs to realize how this looks to a wider audience and try and be less theatrical about his job. That's not what he's getting paid to do.

I see what you’re saying. That’s, of course, possible. But Ted Valentine is the referee. He’s been a showboat for 25 years. History suggests this is Teddy being Teddy. Regardless if Berry had been in his ear all night, Teddy still has a job to do. He acted like a petulant child there and he’s almost three times Berry’s age.
If UNC wins this is a non-issue. Berry was already hot w/an FSU player under the basket earlier in the half, had to be separated. Perhaps Valentine had had enough of him.

OFC

They weren’t separated, or didn’t have to be separated. They looked at each other and stared one another down. I actually thought CJ Walker handled it well. Berry plays like that ( a little chippy) sometimes.

If you are talking about a ref because of several incidents he is not a very good ref period......

A GREAT ref is a ref that you did not even know was there. He calls the game clean and fair and takes his check and leaves.

Correct. As much as I’d love to make this about Berry, it’s about Valentine. It almost always is.

Besides, watching UNC fans piss and moan about it is enough for me.

I disagree. Grayson was certainly made out to be a bad guy last season, but he shoulders much of the blame. He was the one in the wrong. Did some of go overboard? Of course it did.

Now, do I think this is ‘more’ of a story because it’s Joel Berry and UNC? Probably. But I think that could be said if it had happened to Duke, too.

I see what you’re saying. That’s, of course, possible. But Ted Valentine is the referee. He’s been a showboat for 25 years. History suggests this is Teddy being Teddy. Regardless if Berry had been in his ear all night, Teddy still has a job to do. He acted like a petulant child there and he’s almost three times Berry’s age.

They weren’t separated, or didn’t have to be separated. They looked at each other and stared one another down. I actually thought CJ Walker handled it well. Berry plays like that ( a little chippy) sometimes.

The officials or other players at least did intervene when Berry approached Walker and rightfully so. Berry should know better as a senior. I think the criticism of Teddy is a tad over the top. Hes been at this what, 25 years??? Certainly he should be spoken to by conference officials by the matter. No worries there, you can bet its atop Tar Heel alumnus and our esteemed commissioner's agenda.

OFC

Reactions: GillJET
I don't blame TV Teddy for turning his back on Berry. If you watch Berry play at all, he is constantly driving and falling to the court and immediately looking to the officials to call a foul. Also, Berry constantly barks at the refs if he doesn't get a call his way, so I applaud TV Teddy for turning his back on Berry. Teddy was making a statement to Berry, that his antics weren't going to work.

The officials or other players at least did intervene when Berry approached Walker and rightfully so. Berry should know better as a senior. I think the criticism of Teddy is a tad over the top. Hes been at this what, 25 years??? Certainly he should be spoken to by conference officials by the matter. No worries there, you can bet its atop Tar Heel alumnus and our esteemed commissioner's agenda.

OFC

And Grayson should have known better, too, even as a sophomore and junior. That said, it was still just a stare down. Those happen at every level of basketball.

If this were the second or third time Valentine had done something like this I’d be more apt to give him a pass. It’s not. For him, it’s habitual and a part of who he is. You said Berry should be above what he did as a senior in college, but in the next sentence say the ridicule of a referee in his mid-to-upper 50s who has been doing for 30 years with countless ‘incidents’ is a ‘tad’ over the top? Think about that.

And Grayson should have known better, too, even as a sophomore and junior. That said, it was still just a stare down. Those happen at every level of basketball.

If this were the second or third time Valentine had done something like this I’d be more apt to give him a pass. It’s not. For him, it’s habitual and a part of who he is. You said Berry should be above what he did as a senior in college, but in the next sentence say the ridicule of a referee in his mid-to-upper 50s who has been doing for 30 years with countless ‘incidents’ is a ‘tad’ over the top? Think about that.

Ok I "thought about that." I dont think Valentine did anything wrong. You know a lot, but you DO NOT KNOW how much Berry may have complained over the course of the evening, right? Maybe TV had simply had enough. Berry gets away with a little push (left elbow) everytime he goes to the hoop to his right. Plus he had the flop of the game near mid-court late in the game (TV Joel).

I like Valentine- hes authoritative in his calls as any good official should be. TV Teddy, its a good nick though.Remember the Teddys? They were the journalist awards bestowed upon broadcasters in that famous emmy winning show in your city!!! TV Teddy, thats cool... OFC

I would agree with you DJ, except for one thing. The old saying, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Grayson, and Valentine are both hated, but I think the hatred for Grayson is so severe that Valentine comes out smelling like a Rose (pun not intended). On the other hand, Berry is certainly more liked than Allen or Valentine (at least I think so). Thus if this were Grayson, it wouldn't have been such a big deal imo.
So, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...no biggie.

OFC

Last edited:
I noticed the Teddy turning his back on Berry play live, and at the time didn’t think much of it. I kind of thought maybe Teddy was doing a good thing and just looking like a confident game official. Though I see now how it was “unprofessional”.
Heels fans are just salty because they end up losing that game. And I don’t blame them for that.
Both Teddy and Berry didn’t have the best night as far as how they conducted themselves on the court.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Let's look at this from a positive perspective. Since it did happen to a tar heel player I'm thinking swofford will step in with his power and TV Teddy will be exiled to where ever Karl Hess is. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
This is one time I would give Gary a pass for complaining about the refs. I didn’t see anything on JB’s part that would merit him being disrespected like that.

JB’s behavior that night was pretty poor, so I don’t have any sympathy for him for getting disrespected by a confident game official

In what way? He was at least owed an explanation.

Anyone who knows me is aware I will NEVER blame the refs for a loss. But teddy valentine was in the wrong here not JB.

If it hadn't been a UNC player it would never have been an issue.

Be assured that he will never do another game in Chapel Hill again per John Swofford.

Reactions: hart2chesson
In what way? He was at least owed an explanation.

Anyone who knows me is aware I will NEVER blame the refs for a loss. But teddy valentine was in the wrong here not JB.

Again, the constant whining and crying towards the ref is what warranted Teddy's action. Teddy V is the ref and doesn't have to explain himself to a player as to why he made a certain call. You guys get majority of the favorable calls, I find it humorous that a unc fan is complaining about the refs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT