ADVERTISEMENT

TV Teddy Valentine

I think we need to be uniform here. If it's unacceptable for him to act like that towards one player, it holds true for all players. Like others have said, Teddy is known for his antics. His theatrics are a clear indicator he likes to receive attention, he's known for it, and the nature of his job is one that should present the opposite.

I think we need to be uniform here. If it's unacceptable for him to act like that towards one player, it holds true for all players. Like others have said, Teddy is known for his antics. His theatrics are a clear indicator he likes to receive attention, he's known for it, and the nature of his job is one that should present the opposite.
I hear ya. It wasn't Teddy's finest moment.
But all this talk of Senior Captain Liaison Berry is just silly. Like Berry can do no wrong. Man I'm telling you Berry was in a pissy mood the other night and Teddy is at his job working. So Teddy simply had enough of Berry being so damn annoying

So on one hand we have a player who, while plays gritty, does not have a history of being dirty or garnering excessive technical fouls from refs. He's earned the Captain role and part of that role is to be a liaison from the refs to the the rest of his team.

On the other hand, we have a ref who's known for his histrionics and been granted the moniker, 'TV Teddy' for all his behavior.

While it's true no one really knows that happened, it could be safe to assume Teddy was in the wrong here.
I don't think anyone is claiming what he did was right. We're just challenging the notion that it was any more wrong because he did it to Joel Berry the FF MOP, all ACC and team captain.

All of this comes with the territory. unc fans hate it when Duke players complain to the refs, especially when K does it. Had tv teddy done that to Duke, we'd be bitching and you'd be laughing. But we'd all likely agree that it is BS. As it is, it happened to unc and we are laughing.

So on one hand we have a player who, while plays gritty, does not have a history of being dirty or garnering excessive technical fouls from refs. He's earned the Captain role and part of that role is to be a liaison from the refs to the the rest of his team.

On the other hand, we have a ref who's known for his histrionics and been granted the moniker, 'TV Teddy' for all his behavior.

While it's true no one really knows that happened, it could be safe to assume Teddy was in the wrong here.
It could be safe to say that the ref was in the wrong. It could also be fair to say that Berry was chirpy all game long and the ref turned his back on him for being tired of his mouth too to avoid teeing him up. You see we could play this game all day long. We weren't there.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't think anyone is claiming what he did was right. We're just challenging the notion that it was any more wrong because he did it to Joel Berry the FF MOP, all ACC and team captain.

All of this comes with the territory. unc fans hate it when Duke players complain to the refs, especially when K does it. Had tv teddy done that to Duke, we'd be bitching and you'd be laughing. But we'd all likely agree that it is BS. As it is, it happened to unc and we are laughing.
There are multiple posters ITT who disagree with your sentiment. FTR, I’m not outraged. We had the chance to win and did close. Not on Teddy or the refs.

It could be safe to say that the ref was in the wrong. It could also be fair to say that Berry was chirpy all game long and the ref turned his back on him for being tired of his mouth too to avoid teeing him up. You see we could play this game all day long. We weren't there.
If it wasn’t Teddy Valentine, I’d be more inclined to agree with this assessment. But Teddy has a long history of silly/stupid antics.

On a side note... the holes played 8 minutes today before the refs say they commited a foul. Even though I don’t like him, I will say, TV Teddy wouldn’t have let that happen.

On a side note... the holes played 8 minutes today before the refs say they commited a foul. Even though I don’t like him, I will say, TV Teddy wouldn’t have let that happen.

Did you notice the play when big luke bird maye traveled no call and then got fouled. Remind you of another heel. OFC

Reactions: Whutadrag2

And will keep on laughing - this is not the place for Tar Holes Tea and Sympathy...

OFC

Reactions: GillJET
I hear ya. It wasn't Teddy's finest moment.
But all this talk of Senior Captain Liaison Berry is just silly. Like Berry can do no wrong. Man I'm telling you Berry was in a pissy mood the other night and Teddy is at his job working. So Teddy simply had enough of Berry being so damn annoying

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, which is what this would be if this were a single random act by Teddy, but it's not. Is what Teddy did professional for a referee? No, of course not. Is it that big of a deal in and of itself? I'd still say that it isn't. But it's the fact that Teddy loooooves the TV attention. And it's annoying.

I understand what you're saying, but you and I both know that past actions don't always guarantee present behavior.

I have no idea what was happening in the game. I agree that the official was in the wrong, but I was neither there or involved in any way, just like everyone commenting on it. We won't know what really happened until he explains it. Until then, it's all speculation, which is pretty much useless.

In the end, I laughed because it happened to a cheater. I'm still laughing at the video. I like being amused.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, which is what this would be if this were a single random act by Teddy, but it's not. Is what Teddy did professional for a referee? No, of course not. Is it that big of a deal in and of itself? I'd still say that it isn't. But it's the fact that Teddy loooooves the TV attention. And it's annoying.
I'm with you, Teddy deserves to be criticized for what happened.
I'm surprised Duke fans aren't just getting a nice laugh out of all this. Instead, many seem to want to saddle up next to UNC fans and moan about what happened to Berry.
Teddy is not a weak game official, he's strong. If you've ever been a game official of any kind, you know you can't be weak.

I'm with you, Teddy deserves to be criticized for what happened.
I'm surprised Duke fans aren't just getting a nice laugh out of all this. Instead, many seem to want to saddle up next to UNC fans and moan about what happened to Berry.
Teddy is not a weak game official, he's strong. If you've ever been a game official of any kind, you know you can't be weak.

I’m doing a few things....

1) I love watching Heels fans whine and complain....so in that sense this is enjoyable

2) I’m also playing Devil’s advocate....it would bug me if TV Teddy did that to a Quinn Cook, Jon Scheyer or Grayson Allen....so in that respect I don’t like it

3) TV Teddy is a very good ref, but he likes the show too much....I don’t care if Joel Berry was yapping or if Grayson had tripped 74 players....as a referee, I expect more and TV Teddy again didn’t meet those expectations

So to recap....yes, the fun we’re getting at the expense of UNC fans and even a little bit Joel Berry is enjoyable. But, this is nothing new for Valentine. If Berry had been yapping, tell him so. Tell his coach. Basically, don’t be Teddy Valentine.

Not a fan of either party involved but Teddy has been doing junk like this his whole career. So he deserves backlash but My problem is why it is suddenly newsworthy?

I’m doing a few things....

1) I love watching Heels fans whine and complain....so in that sense this is enjoyable

2) I’m also playing Devil’s advocate....it would bug me if TV Teddy did that to a Quinn Cook, Jon Scheyer or Grayson Allen....so in that respect I don’t like it

3) TV Teddy is a very good ref, but he likes the show too much....I don’t care if Joel Berry was yapping or if Grayson had tripped 74 players....as a referee, I expect more and TV Teddy again didn’t meet those expectations

So to recap....yes, the fun we’re getting at the expense of UNC fans and even a little bit Joel Berry is enjoyable. But, this is nothing new for Valentine. If Berry had been yapping, tell him so. Tell his coach. Basically, don’t be Teddy Valentine.
Teddy has more personality than the typical ref. That doesn't irk me as much as it does other people. Like you said, he's a very good ref, and for me that's all I'm really worried about

Reactions: Mac9192
It is not as much as T. V. Ted turning his back on a player which he shouldn't have done it was turning his back on a tar heel player. That is unforgivable. Only OFC when understand what my comparison is here. Back when I was young there was a T.V. western called the rifleman. It was about Lucas McCain who was the rifleman and the relationship with his son Mark whose mother was dead and Lucas was raising him. Lucas was very good with that gun and his fist. One thing you didn't want to do was mess with Lucas McCain and do him wrong which compares to Ted turning his back on just a regular college player but the main thing a desperado didn't want to do was mess with Mark cause if you messed with Mark you're messing with Luke McCain's son and that's the thing you dare not do just like Teddy should have dared not to turn his back on berry and now he has to deal with it. OFC

Obvious that young Joel has been so traumitized by the incident that he will probably need mental health intervention.

Valentine better be glad this incident didn't take place in Chapel Hill. The Orange County DA would have probably filed criminal charges against Mr Valentine.

I wish the man well. You dont work those types of events he has (March Madness,FF) w/o doing something right. This just goes to show the power of a cheatin' blue blood....

OFC

I agree. For all the terrible attributes of the NC faithful; whining may be the worst of them. Only the tarholes can cheat for years and then complain of NCAA bias. And only the tarholes can cry enough to make a veteran ref contemplate retirement, despite his flaws.

I agree. For all the terrible attributes of the NC faithful; whining may be the worst of them. Only the tarholes can cheat for years and then complain of NCAA bias. And only the tarholes can cry enough to make a veteran ref contemplate retirement, despite his flaws.

Eloquently stated! OFC

I like Ole Teddy myself. As some have said, a player doesn't need to be questioning the referee. Shut up and play the game and let the coaches coach. It's the coach's job to talk to the refs. 28 tournaments, 10 final fours, and 4 championships. That's a nice career.

I see TV Teddy and Joe L hugged and made up today in Chapel Hill. Teddy probably promised to have Joe L's and the Tarholes backs from now on.

I see TV Teddy and Joe L hugged and made up today in Chapel Hill. Teddy probably promised to have Joe L's and the Tarholes backs from now on.

Oh you know he had to in order to get their game.Swofford said "be nice Teddy." OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT