ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Why do people doubt Reeves ? If I’m him I would have left already . Burnt a red shirt, recruited over and fans over looking me .but then again more fuel to succeed .

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
Why do people doubt Reeves ? If I’m gn I would have left already . Burnt a red shirt, recruited over and fans over looking me .but then again more duel to exceed
What is played zero meaningful minutes Alex. He may turn out to be good, he may not.

I’m hearing it’s not dead with Udeh….we shall see soon enough I guess?
If we get Udeh I shall break my beer and hot dog fast. If he has credits to complete, may come down to how badly he wants to be at Duke. He could probably take a few summer school classes. He is the missing piece for us.

Last edited:
If we get Udeh I shall break my beer and hot dog fast. If he has credits to complete, may come down to how badly he wants to be at Duke. He could probably take a few summer school classes. He is the missing piece for us.
Just curious. It is unhealthy to eliminate beer and hot dogs from one's diet. What are you replacing the protein and vitamins with? OFC

I’m hearing it’s not dead with Udeh….we shall see soon enough I guess?
I agree with you. I think that it is more like he hit pause than hit stop. He wound up unhappy with his decision to attend Kansas, who could blame him for taking his time on the 2nd go around. Perhaps he does go to K State, Alabama, etc., we just don't have perfect information.

Hearing our roster is set Chris. So hold the mustard.Sure hope my source is wrong, but he's usually solid.

OFC

Agreed. A few classes are not going to stop him IF he really wants to go to Duke. Given his potential, he is unlikely to be in college for more than 2 more years. His goal is the NBA.

Reactions: christophero
Why do people doubt Reeves ? If I’m gn I would have left already . Burnt a red shirt, recruited over and fans over looking me .but then again more duel to exceed
Honestly, I don't think people are doubting, just cautiously optimistic. The thing that I would love to see is a player like Udeh come in, Young to back him up early and let the chips fall where they may. What I mean by that is, if Reeves makes the big jump next season, then he would play over Young. That gives you Udeh and Reeves to share the center with a lesser role for Young. If no Udeh, then I think it's much easier for Reeves to earn a lot more minutes.

Young can be a very efficient player, but Duke was a better team when Lively was healthy and Proctor was the PG with Roach as the 2 guard. If Reeves is just as efficient as Young, perfect, he should play more because he has more upside than Young.

Reactions: christophero
Because he really hasn’t shown enough to erase the doubts? Pretty sure everyone is rooting for him and would love for him to take the leap Mark Williams did.
But yet no one knew he was injured either. There was a reason the staff offered him a scholarship and my guess is that it wasn’t to simply be a practice player. I don’t know if we even see him on the floor until after December due to rehab and not being able to participate in off season work outs but I think people are over looking the fact that Duke already has two players recovering from injury and isn’t the staff loading up the roster it’s simply making sure you have enough depth due to injury history.

But yet no one knew he was injured either. There was a reason the staff offered him a scholarship and my guess is that it wasn’t to simply be a practice player. I don’t know if we even see him on the floor until after December due to rehab and not being able to participate in off season work outs but I think people are over looking the fact that Duke already has two players recovering from injury and isn’t the staff loading up the roster it’s simply making sure you have enough depth due to injury history.
People forget that he was climbing the rankings/getting on radars but then had illness and injury issues. If he gets healthy, he will be a very solid post player.

I don't dislike Reeves. I just think he is a year away from making a big impact, if he does. I think of him like Jack White. Jack is now in the NBA, but it took a while. I really want another big guy. Regarding Udeh he is pretty raw on offense. My guess is he stays in college 2 more years. But you never know, he could bust out this year. He does move pretty well for a big guy.

Last edited:
I just think that when you have your top 4 scorers returning and your only question mark is one position, you do whatever you can to upgrade that position because lets face it, we probably shouldn’t get use to the current situation. May not see this happen again in some of our lifetimes. Go after this title full throttle like Kansas is doing.

Last edited:
I don't dislike Reeves. I just think he is a year away from making a big impact, if he does. I think of him like Jack White. Jack is now in the NBA, but it took a while. I really want another big guy. Regarding Udeh he is pretty raw on offense. My guess is he stays in college 2 more years. But you never know, he could bust out this year. He does move pretty well for a big guy.
Reeves for you is like Grandison for @sheyduke 😂

Can Young improve? I think he can. Another year in the system. Jon clearly had more faith in Young than Reeves. Still think we need one more guy.

I think I’m in the minority, but with Roach coming back, I don’t think we have to get another big.
Of the 6 guys coming back, 5 of those saw significant time. One of the best players is 7’0. Four highly rated recruits added. We have size and good guard play.

If we can’t be contenders with this roster, will we ever be?

I somewhat agree Mac. I just think Flip at the 5 could result in foul trouble. We almost have to go small. If Jon was not going to play Reeves at all he should have got a portal big. Still time. We will be good, but I want us to be great. Roach back addresses our youth issues. The freshman need to be ready to contribute. That said, maybe we should just put Flip at the 5 and spread teams out. If Mitchell can be the guy he was when he was on all the time not many teams will be able to hang with us.

Last edited:
I somewhat agree Mac. I just think Flip at the 5 could result in foul trouble. We almost have to go small. If Jon was not going to play Reeves at all he should have got a portal big. Still time. We will be good, but I want us to be great. Roach back addresses our youth issues. The freshman need to be ready to contribute. That said, maybe we should just put Flip at the 5 and spread teams out. If Mitchell can be the guy he was when he was on all the time not many teams will be able to hang with us.
I don’t see why Flip sometimes at the 5 has people nervous. There’s Young and hopefully Reeves as well.
Plus, how many teams out there have a really good big? And foul trouble is a concern for every team.

I’m also hoping that another year at Duke helps Young.

I agree that Young could still improve. He's not 40. He was thrust into a larger role than expected due to Lively not being ready and probably wore down at the end of the season. Young kept us afloat the first half of the season. If he makes some tweaks to his game/conditioning he can be very effective for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
I don’t see why Flip sometimes at the 5 has people nervous. There’s Young and hopefully Reeves as well.
Plus, how many teams out there have a really good big? And foul trouble is a concern for every team.

I’m also hoping that another year at Duke helps Young.
One thing that you guys aren't considering is injuries. I can't remember the last time that Duke got through a year injury free. I doubt this coming season breaks the mold. About Flip, he came to Duke with the understanding that he was not a 5. I am sure that he would do so if he had to but still it wouldn't be a good look. Furthermore, without another 5 we will be praying that the aforementioned injury bug hits anyone but Flip. I am not trying to jinx the team, but I would be willing to bet that there will be at least one or two leg/foot injuries with rotation players.

I’m fine going in the year with who we have and think we’re still preseason top 2.. one thing kinda interesting to me though is without adding another big why was that one dude afraid to come compete? He could have played the 3 or 4 next to Mitchell and flip..

Even if flip starts at the 5 that doesn’t mean he’s the “center” in normal terms I’m sure we’ll play a lot of position less basketball. Stewart, powers are both big men when coupled with flip and Mitchell should provide plenty of length.

Kansas gets McCullar Jr. back. Probably cements them as Preseason No. 1
Don’t think so. Kansas getting Hunter and Morris may keep them in the top 5. They just lost way too much production. Only guys worth a damn that came back are McCullar, Harris, and Adams. Recruiting class is average. They’ve got a good starting 5 but have no depth, and if Hunter gets in foul trouble, Kansas has no answers down low.

Reactions: Fourteen44
We should be okay. Flip is probably the one guy we can't afford to lose.
Grant Nelson is a guy who could still pull out of the draft. 6-11, highly skilled. Averaged 18 and 9. Right now is at the back of the second round.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT