ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Just curious, not here to argue, but if Stewart does end up being 6'9 (which I think is a real possibility), why is that too short? In that case 6'9 235 is fine for a college rim protector in my opinion.
Maybe should have said too small rather than too short. Just watching his film, he doesn’t stick out as a big guy on the court. It’s been said on here, but his build reminds me a lot of Amile Jefferson. He can certainly play above the rim unlike Jefferson though.

I would love for Stewart to be the answer. But asking a freshman who wasn’t a top10 recruit and didn’t even start on his HS team to come in and be a major contributor on a national title team seems like a big ask. Not to mention the 4/5 position is the toughest position to transition to from HS to college.

Maybe should have said too small rather than too short. Just watching his film, he doesn’t stick out as a big guy on the court. It’s been said on here, but his build reminds me a lot of Amile Jefferson. He can certainly play above the rim unlike Jefferson though.

I would love for Stewart to be the answer. But asking a freshman who wasn’t a top10 recruit and didn’t even start on his HS team to come in and be a major contributor on a national title team seems like a big ask. Not to mention the 4/5 position is the toughest position to transition to from HS to college.
I get it and I think your expectations are fair. I know I personally don't think he needs to be a major contributor and be a 32 mpg type of rim protector. I do believe it's very realistic that he can come in and give us 15mpg as a rim protector to go along with Reeves, Young and Flip when playing small ball.

I know 2023 is a weak class, but the kid is still a consensus five star and Duke has done pretty darn well overall with having highly rated recruits coming in and stepping up.

I just think those who don't think Stewart can atleast come in and give us 15mpg as an effective five are selling the kid short.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It would be a great pool to have here, who gets the most PT at the 5 between Reeves, Stewart, Young and Flip. I'm putting my money (not really) on Reeves. I think he is going to surprise with his shot blocking and scoring around the rim and will hold his own handling the pick and roll.

One way or another, we'll have a lot of fouls to give.

By the way some on here are talking, every team Duke will play this season has a stud big man. We've seen Young struggle against quicker teams, and let's say Reeves isn't ready, then who plays the 5? And have you all forgotten there's 6 guards on the roster? From what some have said, McCain could play the 3, which would be good.

Is Foster going to get left out in the cold with Blakes and Schutt because Proctor and Roach will play at least 30 minutes as the season moves along. I guess what we need now is a Minute thread. That could be epic.

I don't get the fascination, bordering on phobia, of Flip playing the 5 some. Is it not a favorable matchup to have an opposing big trying to guard him 20 feet from the basket?

And aren't we in an era of positionless basketball?

Flip 20
Reeves 4
Young 12
Stewart 4
Seems about right. Idk why people seem to think Flip is some foul machine who can't play the 5. He averaged 3.6 per 40 last year. that may or may not go up with him at the 5 (I don't see a lot of precedent for that). Also, the offense is going to be much better with Flip at the 5 and Mark at the 4 + a third guard / Power at the 3.

The roster is loaded, but is it fair to say that this roster is loaded with a glaring hole? We may have a lot of tall guys, but our superstar is Flip and having him play C a lot of minutes could be dangerous as he is already foul prone. Young cannot play a single minute against teams like Miami. And Reeves is a complete question mark who probably won’t be ready to contribute until the 2nd part of the season (hope I’m wrong.)

I don’t think any of our other tall guys can play C in the ACC for more than a couple minutes. I don’t want to be negative, but I feel like we have seen this story play out before. The Jabari team was the #1 Ken Pom offense by a wide margin, had a lot of veterans as Jabari was the only freshman, but they had a glaring hole at C, and they got bounced in the 1st round.

That team couldn’t guard a paper bag. One center wasn’t going to fix it

I give up. No more 5 comments for me. You guys have at it.
That’s not what we are saying.

Overall I’m just chuckling at some of these posts, considering one would think Duke is starting 5 freshmen next year. That, and the fact that the staff decisions (based on their knowledge) are being completely overlooked. They know things we don’t, hence the reason they weren’t super aggressive for another 5.

I’ve said this all along . Duke isn’t getting a game changer in the portal unless their is a glaring hole for the player to start who wishes to come . You already named two legit college centers in Reeves and Young ( most teams don’t even have their size coming off the bench ) . Then you have Stewart, Mitchell , Flip and powers( teams don’t even have that size at the 3-4 spots). With the guards Duke has and if they continue to build off defense the on ball pressure should be unreal for this team. That’s six guards to throw at the 1-3 spot to help the others get a break . Three of those guards are 6’4” or better. All I need for the big to do is alter shots and rebound . That’s it . Everyone can block or alter one shot in Dukes front court . No one was going to average blocking shots like Lively but the amount of pressure Duke should be able to place on the ball will make it hard for teams to get the ball into the paint .

I’ve said this all along . Duke isn’t getting a game changer in the portal unless their is a glaring hole for the player to start who wishes to come . You already named two legit college centers in Reeves and Young ( most teams don’t even have their size coming off the bench ) . Then you have Stewart, Mitchell , Flip and powers( teams don’t even have that size at the 3-4 spots). With the guards Duke has and if they continue to build off defense the on ball pressure should be unreal for this team. That’s six guards to throw at the 1-3 spot to help the others get a break . Three of those guards are 6’4” or better. All I need for the big to do is alter shots and rebound . That’s it . Everyone can block or alter one shot in Dukes front court . No one was going to average blocking shots like Lively but the amount of pressure Duke should be able to place on the ball will make it hard for teams to get the ball into the paint .

I also think that Mitchell will be a defensive presence similar to Winslow (who was really the main defensive stopper on the 2015 team). I am really excited about getting another year of MM.

By the way some on here are talking, every team Duke will play this season has a stud big man. We've seen Young struggle against quicker teams, and let's say Reeves isn't ready, then who plays the 5? And have you all forgotten there's 6 guards on the roster? From what some have said, McCain could play the 3, which would be good.

Is Foster going to get left out in the cold with Blakes and Schutt because Proctor and Roach will play at least 30 minutes as the season moves along. I guess what we need now is a Minute thread. That could be epic.

I don't get the fascination, bordering on phobia, of Flip playing the 5 some. Is it not a favorable matchup to have an opposing big trying to guard him 20 feet from the basket?

I have never agreed with the 'positionless basketball concept', because the purpose of the game is to get the ball in the basketball. Usually, that is most effective by someone who is tallest(unless you are GSW Curry). Otherwise, lets believe Flip, Young, Mitchell, Stewart, Reeves and Power can get us some high percentage baskets.

When it comes to playing a team with more experience, that is a different conversation. Roach, Proctor, Mitchell, Flip and Young will provide Duke with those gaps.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in Reeves, but I think you make a good point about Stewart. What was Duke looking for in the portal out of a 5? Someone who could protect the rim, clean the glass, and make close range shots. That's exactly what Stewart can do, and he's a 5 star.

I feel if he was 6'10, it would be case closed. I see he's listed at 6'8, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's 6'9 once the depth chart is released. I saw a photo of him standing right next to TJ power at the K academy and he's got him by atleast an inch and TJ is listed at 6'8. 6'9 in today game at the college level can absolutely be an effective 5
agree w/ i believe i saw the same pic and i thought Power was slightly taller...lol...I think the trio of reeves/young/stewart will be sufficient

This thread…..gone sideways and comical at the same time.
Probably the wrong saying to use, but we’re a classic example of the rich wanting to get richer. We’re looking to get the perfect lineup. And, we’re a bit salty that that didn’t happen. Most fans would be ecstatic to return four starters. We just got our hopes up. I’m not going to lie; I thought Scheyer was going to pull the rabbit out of his hat. Again, being honest, the years that we have won it all, all featured a dominant center. Even Zoubek was the role player we needed him to be. And it took him the whole time to get there. He was physically imposing. That’s what’s missing next year. My fear is that we run into a Purdue, or some other team with a huge center, and they clobber us.

Probably the wrong saying to use, but we’re a classic example of the rich wanting to get richer. We’re looking to get the perfect lineup. And, we’re a bit salty that that didn’t happen. Most fans would be ecstatic to return four starters. We just got our hopes up. I’m not going to lie; I thought Scheyer was going to pull the rabbit out of his hat. Again, being honest, the years that we have won it all, all featured a dominant center. Even Zoubek was the role player we needed him to be. And it took him the whole time to get there. He was physically imposing. That’s what’s missing next year. My fear is that we run into a Purdue, or some other team with a huge center, and they clobber us.
I also worry about a Purdue like team that we are much more talented than but they clobber us with size inside. Edey, Tshiebwe, Sanogo, Dickinson, Bacot…these guys were some of the best players in college basketball last year and they are all huge.

The NBA doesn’t want these guys, so they stayed in college last year. I believe Edey, Dickinson, and Bacot are back, and there will be some new “giants” that are in college this year to give us fits.

We got all the pieces to be the best of the best. Just gotta cross our fingers and hope that Reeves or Stewart can develop into difference makers.

"Chuckles" or "Cackles" as @skysdad refers to him is no match IMO coaching strategy wise for Scheyer. OFC
I don’t spend much time thinking about it. Kinda hard when there is so much to laugh about. I am a relative youngster (old soul at heart) and still like the Phil Ford&s wife jokes personally…

I don’t spend much time thinking about it. Kinda hard when there is so much to laugh about. I am a relative youngster (old soul at heart) and still like the Phil Ford&s wife jokes personally…
My favorite sign was behind the UNC bench in Raleigh (State-UNC game), during the rumored affair between Jeff McInnis and Phil's wife: "Hey Jeff, have you driven a Ford lately??" 🤣🤣🤣 OFC

I agree with that quote. We seemingly have all the pieces to make a title run next year, but the C position could be our downfall.

Much like the 06 Redick team who was forced to start a freshman Paulus at PG. Much like the Zion team who lacked a shooter/scorer off the bench. I feel like in the portal era, those holes can be fixed, and we didn’t.
This is exactly what I said all off season. I’ve watched way too many elite teams miss one crucial piece.

I honestly don’t care much about the regular season. I’m more worried about a team being way more physical down low and beating them in March.

Exactly like Tennessee did this year.

Reactions: christophero
I honestly don’t care much about the regular season. I’m more worried about a team being way more physical down low and beating them in March.

Exactly like Tennessee did this year.
Whine much? Probably should just cancel the season.

A lot on here kill me . Either you want players to stay with in the program or you want players to leave for the chance at winning the championship every year . Duke isn’t Miami , Arkansas , or any other big NIL donor program . Players want money and playing time . Either you want Duke to build through recruiting or build through the portal ! Both aren’t happening! Period . They went after what four portal bigs and how many ended up at Duke ? 0 , none !
Now Duke plays with the squad they have and yes sorry to say this but if Duke truly wanted them they'd be at Duke it’s just that simple in this day and age .

The press was saying we needed a portal 5 to replace Lively. None of our freshman are 5's, unless Stewart is up for it, but he looks like a forward. This isn't some crazy opinion. We will be great but another big would have been nice. I'm happy with our team, esp. if Mitchell makes a big leap. Reeves would have to make a huge leap, I admit it is possible.

A lot on here kill me . Either you want players to stay with in the program or you want players to leave for the chance at winning the championship every year . Duke isn’t Miami , Arkansas , or any other big NIL donor program . Players want money and playing time . Either you want Duke to build through recruiting or build through the portal ! Both aren’t happening! Period . They went after what four portal bigs and how many ended up at Duke ? 0 , none !
Now Duke plays with the squad they have and yes sorry to say this but if Duke truly wanted them they'd be at Duke it’s just that simple in this day and age .
Agree with almost all you said. I don’t think Duke can get any kid from the portal they want though. Our team appears to be stacked. And the kids looking for a new school know this.

Agree with almost all you said. I don’t think Duke can get any kid from the portal they want though. Our team appears to be stacked. And the kids looking for a new school know this.
Reports were saying it was admissions with Udeh and the same was said about Mgbako. Yet both went to decent programs and when you read the new articles NIL had a lot to do with it .

As for the media saying Duke needed a five to replace lively , well how do they know exactly how any player on Dukes roster will progress . No one saw enough of Reeves to say he can’t help ( other then his set back from injury ) you can run Flip at the Five some with Stewart and Mitchell. That’s one heck of a front court I’d like to see teams match . What happens if McCain and Foster or even Powers is better then what a lot think ?

The press was saying we needed a portal 5 to replace Lively. None of our freshman are 5's, unless Stewart is up for it, but he looks like a forward. This isn't some crazy opinion. We will be great but another big would have been nice. I'm happy with our team, esp. if Mitchell makes a big leap. Reeves would have to make a huge leap, I admit it is possible.
And so you get a big and Reeves bolts , McCain and Foster decide to make the league jump because the draft class is so weak , Blakes and Schutt no longer want to ride the pine they bolt , your possibly maybe only looking at Stewart returning unless he has a good year then he’s gone . Who’s left on the roster ? Powers with freshman coming in ? I truly think this team will be fine and it is an opinion on the big situation because no one can say how the bigs on Dukes roster will progress going into the season. If the staff thought there was someone who would be a game changer they would be on the roster .

The season is setting up for a classic “I told you so” from one group of fans or another. Hopefully a healthyish season for all our guys will be what propels us. As strong as we are we can see what happens when one of our top guys goes down. I’m fine with and fully expect big stretches where Flip man’s the 5. It will be our best lineup. Bigger picture is trying to limit that as much as we can to keep him healthy and fresh for the end of games and stretch run. Not to mention out of foul trouble. Did we need a portal five? No. Would it have helped? Absolutely. Now let’s see what happens and hope Reeves by end of year can be a solid contributor.

The season is setting up for a classic “I told you so” from one group of fans or another. Hopefully a healthyish season for all our guys will be what propels us. As strong as we are we can see what happens when one of our top guys goes down. I’m fine with and fully expect big stretches where Flip man’s the 5. It will be our best lineup. Bigger picture is trying to limit that as much as we can to keep him healthy and fresh for the end of games and stretch run. Not to mention out of foul trouble. Did we need a portal five? No. Would it have helped? Absolutely. Now let’s see what happens and hope Reeves by end of year can be a solid contributor.
Agree with alot of what you say here. Flip at the 5 im okay with in spurts and gives us a three guard lineup that I think could be out "best". I just don't think the plan can or should be Flip playing anything outside of spurts at the 5. He's maybe the best 4 in all of hoops.

At the end of the day, we really need Reeves to make a jump. Not a huge jump, but be a solid piece. If that happens, this team has no limitations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT