ADVERTISEMENT

Short and long term effects of Tucker transfer-

True statement. If he was bringing negative energy into the locker room, then it's a win for the team. And believe it or not, our last two national championship teams had players transfer out before January (Olek Czyz and Semi). Would have liked to seem him play it out, but if he wants immediate PT, he probably did himself a favor - and Duke a favor.
You could throw in Andre Sweet's transfer just after the '01 title, Eliot Williams' prior to the '09-'10 season, and Sheed's being kicked out during the '14-'15 season, too!

Reactions: dukedevilz
Transfer's like Tucker will be an on-going problem for K and Duke and I think it's a myriad of factors:

1) While Duke could have used Tucker next year, he also saw that O'Connell was getting PT ahead of him and then two more highly touted 2-3 swing players were coming in next year which was going to potentially limit his PT.

2) As long as K is recruiting this well, whose to say he would not have ridden the bench his entire career here - and that K may well have recruited over his position the next two seasons. This is the challenge of recruiting big talent in a one-and-done era. It's hard to hold onto the talent with the NBA looming; and it's hard to develop kids behind that talent. Especially if you are a short bench coach ...

3) K notoriously has a short bench - more so in the 2000s than in the mid-late 80's to 90's where in some cases 9 players averaged 10 minutes a game. K's not as patient in recent years. That is going to limit PT even if a kid is playing decent.

4) In conjunction with #3, Bill Parcells used to say, "If they don't bite when they are pups, they are probably not going to bite when they get older." That's not actually accurate - countless exceptions. But I think that tends to be the case at Duke. It's rare that a kid gets little or no PT in year 1 then comes on gradually to be a star by the time he's a Sr.

I think one of K's strengths is getting young, upper-echelon talent talent to play well early and he feeds them minutes to get them ready to compete later in the year. But, I also think that is his weakness. He doesn't feed minutes (even 5-10 vs lesser opponents or 2-3 against quality opponents) to young players to get them acclimated to the game nor does he engender confidence a kid will get PT if he stays. So, I think that enhances the transfers, relative to other coaches/schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT