ADVERTISEMENT

Sheyer: “We (coaches) probably have to make some changes

Duke Blu

All Conference
Nov 7, 2017

“We have a week of practice. We have to stick together. We’ve got to get together even closer. As a coaching staff, there are some things we have to look at and probably make some changes.”

My guess:

The team that finished is who starts:

7’0 Flip
6’9 Mitchell
6’9 Power
6’5 Foster (until Proctor returns)
6’0 Roach

I am guessing (hoping) thats the change. Back to a two guard lineup. Aside from the dumb technical, Mitchell looked very good later in the game with Power with him. Young’s minutes will go down, only spelling Flip. Stewart will spell Mitchell and Power. Foster and MCCain will spell Roach and Proctor (when he returns).

Duke will go on a run with roles clearly defined in my opinion.

This is the way.

“We have a week of practice. We have to stick together. We’ve got to get together even closer. As a coaching staff, there are some things we have to look at and probably make some changes.”

My guess:

The team that finished is who starts:

7’0 Flip
6’9 Mitchell
6’9 Power
6’5 Foster (until Proctor returns)
6’0 Roach

I am guessing (hoping) thats the change. Back to a two guard lineup. Aside from the dumb technical, Mitchell looked very good later in the game with Power with him. Young’s minutes will go down, only spelling Flip. Stewart will spell Mitchell and Power. Foster and MCCain will spell Roach and Proctor (when he returns).

Duke will go on a run with roles clearly defined in my opinion.

This is the way.
Clearly IMO, this is the most LOGICAL line-up for now Duke Blu. Mitchell was playing well inside, and if not for the technical, we win the game. OFC

I like Power, but if they’re not going to make an honest effort to get him the ball, what’s the point? He got a fair amount of PT yesterday, but there were at least 4 occasions when he was open and they passed it the other direction to a more closely guarded player.
Power doesn’t offer much today aside from spreading the floor. If he’s not getting the ball on the wing, to your point, play Stewart and let him clean the boards.

Still mind-blowing for me that Stewart and Reeves can’t get burn consistently.
GT freshman big man absolutely killed us yesterday and the fact neither got any burn is truly mind blowing. At bare minimum, they could have cleaned the boards. I think everyone at this point agrees McCain has no business in the starting lineup, and cerinaly not you know who.

The coaching staff is correct. This really comes down to the uncomfortable question, why don't Reeves and Stewart play with Flip. It makes the game easier. Yes, both have learning curves, but it's a privilege to have two guys capable of playing next to Flip. This will also bring matchup problems to our opponents. Few teams in college have a wing that is 6'7 and taller that can defend Mark.

I like Power, but if they’re not going to make an honest effort to get him the ball, what’s the point? He got a fair amount of PT yesterday, but there were at least 4 occasions when he was open and they passed it the other direction to a more closely guarded player.
I notice that there are a lot of times our players have turned down the open option in order to take the shot themselves. Never used to be that way.

I just don't think that Duke allows people to learn while playing if they don't earn PT in practice. That's just how Coach K worked and now Scheyer. I don't need to give a list of guys who had quick hooks for a long time.

On the other hand there are players who didn't start in the rotation but ended up there: Grayson, Elliot Williams, even Nolan.

Agree. He needs to improve his overall game though cause he isn’t much help anywhere else at the moment. Maybe more court time will help. Mitchell is too soft, guys his size expose him. That’s a problem, not to mention teams dare him to shoot. So if we are big with him in the game, the lane is clogged. Maybe Power and Stewart can share some of Mitchell’s minutes. Right now nothing is working, so what the heck.

Jon, if you’re reading these posts, it’s time to give the 10-12 minutes Young plays (which is also the minutes posters here say are the max he should get) and hand them to Reeves.

He is the reason we are losing Jon, so roll the dice with him in his warmups the next game.

Reactions: jeffrey236
I don’t know . As Power was on the court more during the game he started staying with his man and even altered a clear layup into a miss.
Everyone is right . With Power on the floor he spreads the court however players do need to look for him as well as other shooters .
If I’m Stewart or Reeves all this week I’m playing in practice with a chip on my shoulder . Power as well .
And Mitchell needs to just be reminded of the tech but to keep up his play .

Last edited:
I don’t know . As Powers was on the court more during the game he started staying with his man and even altered a clear layup into a miss.
Everyone is right . With Powers on the floor he spreads the court however players do need to look for him as well as other shooters .
If I’m Stewart or Reeves all this week I’m playing in practice with a chip on my shoulder . Powers as well .
I like TJ on the floor. If he's out there with Flip, I need him rebounding. If he chooses to be a wing, then Stewart, Young or Reeves should be in the game.

If I’m Stewart or Reeves all this week I’m playing in practice with a chip on my shoulder . Powers as well .
do not be shocked if Reeves transfers. I’ve rarely predicted that with players, but I’m predicting this one.

Reactions: sheyduke
The Duke Head coaching role should not be an on the job training opportunity...i think Jon will be a good coach, but getting to cut his teeth on a premier progam isnt the best way to gain experience.

I like TJ on the floor. If he's out there with Flip, I need him rebounding. If he chooses to be a wing, then Stewart, Young or Reeves should be in the game.
I agree Jam. Power hit a huge trey to cut the 2nd half deficit to seven. Of course TJ was forgotten by the team then (Jeremy you're great, but will you ever kick it to the wing when you drive?), but he still stretches the floor because he can nail the three.

OFC

Last edited:
I don’t know . As Powers was on the court more during the game he started staying with his man and even altered a clear layup into a miss.
Everyone is right . With Powers on the floor he spreads the court however players do need to look for him as well as other shooters .
I think that, after having several weak below-the-rim layup attempts blocked, someone told Mitchell to just dunk the damn ball. And he listened. I’m hoping we see a more forceful bad-ass streak in him - I really believe he has it in him. And i agree about Power showing he’s picking up the defense. He did not look lost out there, and appeared to switch when needed to.

do not be shocked if Reeves transfers. I’ve rarely predicted that with players, but I’m predicting this one.
I’m right behind you on this one . It was funny during the Arkansas game how they continued to play all their bigs and Reeves logged two minutes. Or yesterday when their freshman big pretty much did anything he wanted to yet Reeves stayed in the bench .
Power is a wing . He’s not a strong rebounder or shot blocker so on the wing is where he will thrive at this stage of his college career .

I think you can drop the "probably" Jon. I would start Blakes and Stewart, but I doubt Jon asks my opinion. Mitchell has regressed for whatever reason. (injury?) Mitchell played well other than the technical yesterday (you can't point at a guy after scoring on him even I know that) We are on pace for 20-12, which is bubblesville, so we need to get this thing turned around. There is no Lively on the bench, so I don't know what the answer is. Stewart I guess. I thought Proctor rounding into form was a key for us, so it stinks that he is injured. Hope he gets well soon. Without Proctor this team reminds me of the Paulus/McRoberts team for whatever reason. our offense seems way too predictable. If memory serves that team was a 5 seed. One thing is for sure; we cannot afford to lose to the Pitts and Syracuses or we are in big trouble.

Last edited:
not having a dominant rim protector in college has its drawbacks. young offers no rim protection or spacing which isn’t viable to be a championship contender.

everyone points to reeves but who knows if he’s the answer

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I think you can drop the "probably" Jon. I would start Blakes and Stewart, but I doubt Jon asks my opinion. Mitchell has regressed for whatever reason. (injury?) Mitchell played well other than the technical yesterday (you can't point at a guy after scoring on him even I know that) We are on pace for 20-12, which is bubblesville, so we need to get this thing turned around. There is no Lively on the bench, so I don't know what the answer is. Stewart I guess. I thought Proctor rounding into form was a key for us, so it stinks that he is injured. Hope he gets well soon. Without Proctor this team reminds me of the Paulus/McRoberts team for whatever reason. our offense seems way too predictable. If memory serves that team was a 5 seed. One thing is for sure; we cannot afford to lose to the Pitts and Syracuses or we are in big trouble.
That's a pretty good comparison. That's why I mentioned Eric Boateng. The entire world knows Flip is going pro(like McRoberts), so let's get everyone some burn. What were the 'real' predictions for this season.

Reactions: christophero
I don’t think any get sensitive it’s just that young could have left but stayed for leadership. Now that has not shown but the same could be said for Roach and Flip and Mitchell and Proctor .
Things turn around when leadership is aware of the problems they created and I can say this , the bigs look lost on the court and I think the team is missing Amile . He was key in Lively turning his season around .

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don’t think any get sensitive it’s just that young could have left but stayed for leadership. Now that has not shown but the same could be said for Roach and Flip and Mitchell and Proctor .
Things turn around when leadership is aware of the problems they created and I can say this , the bigs look lost on the court and I think the team is missing Amile . He was key in Lively turning his season around .
Shey you beat me to it. In the past, I heard K/Scheyer say Nate(James)/Amile have been "working our bigs out." I think we miss both those
guys.

Certainly that's not to slight ANYONE on the current staff.However I think both certainly enhanced Mark and Derek to a noticeable
extent.

Bottom line this is a big week for Duke basketball. True we only have Charlotte on the schedule next weekend, but there's really IMPORTANT PRACTICE TIME before then. Scheyer will earn his paycheck this week.

OFC

Trying different line ups is nice and all, but how about starting with setting the tone from the tip instead of letting team after team come out and punch you in the mouth?

Teams are coming out with great energy and passion and Duke players just take it and try to rise to the other teams energy level. Sure recipe for losing to less talented teams.

Miss the days of seeing a 72 year old man passionately implore his team to fight from the Duke bench.

Trying different line ups is nice and all, but how about starting with setting the tone from the tip instead of letting team after team come out and punch you in the mouth?

Teams are coming out with great energy and passion and Duke players just take it and try to rise to the other teams energy level. Sure recipe for losing to less talented teams.

Miss the days of seeing a 72 year old man passionately implore his team to fight from the Duke bench.
You got to let the past go !!

K is not coming back period . If you judge Scheyer or any coach for that matter on what K did as the head coach for 42 seasons then no one will succeed as the head coach at Duke . It’s not like K’s first couple of years were final fours and championships.

College basketball has changed why does everyone think K retired ? You can’t get in players as much , there’s the transfer portal and NIL .

Jon is in his second season after defending home court , winning the ACC tourney and going to the NCAA tourney . He’s got to build his style of Basketball. Not live in fans man crush of K .

Trilly put a thing out saying our upper classmen and freshmen have a big divide and aren't vibing, and it shows through hero ball and no chemistry. If this is truly the case, we are in for a rough season and it sucks. Locker room issues usually tank a team.

Hopefully that is not the case that is the last thing we need. I have not been impressed with our defense so far. Team after team is lighting it up from 3; and that isn't luck. Lively's shot blocking probably covered for a lot of defensive deficiencies; ditto Mark.

Last edited:
Trilly put a thing out saying our upper classmen and freshmen have a big divide and aren't vibing, and it shows through hero ball and no chemistry. If this is truly the case, we are in for a rough season and it sucks. Locker room issues usually tank a team.
No idea if true, but I wouldn’t be surprised by the way we’ve played.

Not surprising. They don’t make the extra pass and there’s a lot of bad shot selection.

Time for 2 a day practices Remember the Titans style.
"Strong side!"
(I just read on DBR this is the earliest a Duke team has had 3 losses since at least the mid 60's.)

Last edited:
I said it after the Zona game and all the responses were some version of "you're just a troll."

But I'll say it again.

Flip is not a center. He doesn't thrive on contact, he doesn't like banging for rebounds, he doesn't defend the rim. Flip is an elite modern stretch 4. Playing him as your primary center is not the way to go.

I agree. The only true center on the team is Reeves and he hardly plays. Young and Stewart are basically power forwards. Stewart could probably play the 5 as a junior or senior but does not seem ready at the moment. Maybe later in the year he can.

Last edited:
I said it after the Zona game and all the responses were some version of "you're just a troll."

But I'll say it again.

Flip is not a center. He doesn't thrive on contact, he doesn't like banging for rebounds, he doesn't defend the rim. Flip is an elite modern stretch 4. Playing him as your primary center is not the way to go.
Aye aye, Captain Obvious.

But I'll say it again.

Not to mention he doesn’t want to play the 5 but he’s having to. I don’t think he’s happy about that, & not sure if that’s contributing to the chemistry issues. No info, just speculating.

Reactions: christophero
I am going to let the meaningful “changes” take place first before i make definitive judgements. I think Flip can play the 5 with proper support and protection alongside him. Thats not 3 guards. Hopefully that is the change. Lets see. We got a few weeks of folks putting Sheyer and Duke in the coffin.

Reactions: sheyduke
Not to mention he doesn’t want to play the 5 but he’s having to. I don’t think he’s happy about that, & not sure if that’s contributing to the chemistry issues. No info, just speculating.

Then he shouldn’t have come back. He should have been smart enough to see he was playing the 5 if he returned

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT