ADVERTISEMENT

September Depth/March 7 Man Rotation

Duke won a national championship two years ago, 5 years removed prior to that. How ineffective is K really?

I'm all for conjecture on a message board, to somehow create an argument that Coach K is clueless and one person, that being yourself, has all of the correct answers is a little off. Maybe you work on Wall Street? It seems to be the "I can do it" mindset there.
Well we constantly lose to teams with 3* talent.

Reactions: dukehokie
Duke won a national championship two years ago, 5 years removed prior to that. How ineffective is K really?

I'm all for conjecture on a message board, to somehow create an argument that Coach K is clueless and one person, that being yourself, has all of the correct answers is a little off. Maybe you work on Wall Street? It seems to be the "I can do it" mindset there.
Oh, I totally agree that based on titles, no one can be more happy with their coach than Duke fans.

Some seem to think we'd be fine with two traditional bigs out there: say Bolden and Amile for stretches. That would totally screw up our defensive switching and we'd have to fight around every screen, with Bolden and Harry being the hedgers and our oversized guards being chasers. If you guys haven't noticed, both Harry and Bolden recover to the lane like molasses. It's not their fault, they just don't have enough foot speed and anticipation yet. Add in the fact that Tatum is rebounding superbly, and it's clear to me that we've got the right personnel out there. No one complains about our approach at all when we're winning; now we drop a road game due to poor shooting and some costly turnovers, and "Coach K needs to spread the minutes."??? Coach K isn't perfect, but give the man some credit. His game-plan is logical.

You can only be effective with the small ball unit if that hybrid forward is a defensive stopper. It worked so well Justise because he could guard so well. Plus in 2015, the offense ran inside-out. This outside in thing will only work so long. When shots aren't falling we're in trouble. At least if we have a post presence then we can at least get some easy baskets or the other bigs in foul trouble. Giles has looked good around the basket. Whenever he gets a post up he's making something happen. We need to go back to the traditional look. Our best play has been with traditional lineups. Best all around performance was Georgia Tech. Best defensive performance was second half Miami and both were with traditional lineups

I was chatting with my wife about this tonight over dinner. She's also a Duke alum and follows the team pretty closely. I thought she made a very valid big-picture point: Our returning players aren't much better than last year (Luke and Grayson probably cancel out, Matt and Amile about the same) and that our one really good freshman is having a season pretty equivalent to Ingram. The rest of the Frosh have - relative to high school ranking - been very underwhelming.

Her point is last year's team had a tourney ceiling somewhere between R32 and S16, so this year's team - basically being the same - has a similar ceiling. This seems spot on.

If Grayson was last year's Grayson and at least 2 of Giles/Bolden/Frank were contributing like top 15 players, we'd probably have no more than 1 loss and be a shoo-in for a 1-seed. In that respect, all of us - and probably including the coaching staff - have been justifiably surprised and disappointed about where we are.

p.s. I don't mean to slam on Coach K. I do think he's too stubborn in some areas but big picture, even he can't fix what's broken with this team. Apologies if my 'problem solving' gene was annoying some of you.

This type of comment is annoying. I'm a Duke alum (Fuqua), go back almost every year, donate generously. I work in the business world where no one is above scrutiny, it's all about results. In my setting, if I have a client that has almost everything going for it - Brand name, top talent, etc. - yet is often losing battles against 3* competitors with less talent and brand name - then I'm going to assume that there are problems / opportunities worth investigating.

If you want to assume that Coach K is infallible or that a different strategy wouldn't change results, I won't call you a sunshine pumper or slurper. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a similar view of those of us who think Coach could be doing better.
Did I say K was infallible? There can be a middle ground. I too think K makes mistakes, just not in this one case. You haven't read my comments as a whole. Relating sports to business is a fun comparison, but businesses don't meet up in 40 minute clashes. It's problematic comparing the two as a way to relate to coaching.

Did I say K was infallible? There can be a middle ground. I too think K makes mistakes, just not in this one case. You haven't read my comments as a whole. Relating sports to business is a fun comparison, but businesses don't meet up in 40 minute clashes. It's problematic comparing the two as a way to relate to coaching.
Fair enough.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I think we're all frustrated. All of us probably have answers too. And like I said in another thread, if it was a simple or easy fix I think you'd see the staff making it happen.

I'm not going into excuse mode, but for all intents and purposes, the season to this point has been a buzzkill. Factored into that are early season injuries, Grayson's antics in December, K being out for a month, failure of this group to grow together and even the rotation. Think about it (and again, not an excuse)....have you ever, in your time of following Duke, seen a more frustrating or maddening season? My guess is no. And on top of that, all we heard during the offseason was how dominant this team could potentially be. Really, the expectations laid on this team, whether by the media or fans posting here, was as high as I've seen it since maybe 2006 when J.J. and Shelden were seniors....and don't forget, that year featured what was regarded as a great freshman class, as well, highlighted by McRoberts and Paulus.

I repeat....none of those things are excuses, they're reality. And it sucks. I like to think I'm relatively levelheaded, but I fell into the trap too. Essentially, we all set ourselves up for failure because we bought in too. When expectations are as high as they were for this team, even the slightest dropoff is a long ways down. That's what we're experiencing.

I think we're all frustrated. All of us probably have answers too. And like I said in another thread, if it was a simple or easy fix I think you'd see the staff making it happen.

I'm not going into excuse mode, but for all intents and purposes, the season to this point has been a buzzkill. Factored into that are early season injuries, Grayson's antics in December, K being out for a month, failure of this group to grow together and even the rotation. Think about it (and again, not an excuse)....have you ever, in your time of following Duke, seen a more frustrating or maddening season? My guess is no. And on top of that, all we heard during the offseason was how dominant this team could potentially be. Really, the expectations laid on this team, whether by the media or fans posting here, was as high as I've seen it since maybe 2006 when J.J. and Shelden were seniors....and don't forget, that year featured what was regarded as a great freshman class, as well, highlighted by McRoberts and Paulus.

I repeat....none of those things are excuses, they're reality. And it sucks. I like to think I'm relatively levelheaded, but I fell into the trap too. Essentially, we all set ourselves up for failure because we bought in too. When expectations are as high as they were for this team, even the slightest dropoff is a long ways down. That's what we're experiencing.
Such is life as a diehard fan. There is still time though for this to workout- I have my doubts, but we do have the GOAT on our side, and with that, there is always a chance.

2014 was just as frustrating. Nearly losing that early Presbyterian game then mercer.... ugh...

But this year has been too much also. Just never ending with problems.

2014 was just as frustrating. Nearly losing that early Presbyterian game then mercer.... ugh...

But this year has been too much also. Just never ending with problems.
Totally agree. If you've been a fan of Duke for several decades, like most here probably have, we've seen Duke really good for most of the time, and that is because of what K has done there. He is the best, but as I said, having been a fan myself for over 30 years, you see the tendencies of that coach, most good but some annoying. The same for any fan of a good program. Syracuse fans probably question Boeheim doing nothing but zone. Same for Duke fans with K's man to man. He doesn't like zone, but it has proven at times to be effective. The playing time thing is the other sore spot for many avid fans. I see K's point that a tired star is better than a fresh guy less talented. That has at times bit Duke and left many to speculate if a little rest earlier in game for that star player would have helped. The difference between this team though and last years team, 14 team or others that fell way short of our expectations is this team does have some serious talent. Only way though is Grayson must get his game back and the defense has to get better. I truly think the talent is there but all I can do is pull hard, cuss, fuss, pray, beg from my recliner, and vent here like the rest of you.

Elite talent doesn't always win out. I'd say Duke loses to lesser talent no more than any other team, and probably less.

Reactions: dukehokie
I was chatting with my wife about this tonight over dinner. She's also a Duke alum and follows the team pretty closely. I thought she made a very valid big-picture point: Our returning players aren't much better than last year (Luke and Grayson probably cancel out, Matt and Amile about the same) and that our one really good freshman is having a season pretty equivalent to Ingram. The rest of the Frosh have - relative to high school ranking - been very underwhelming.

Her point is last year's team had a tourney ceiling somewhere between R32 and S16, so this year's team - basically being the same - has a similar ceiling. This seems spot on.

If Grayson was last year's Grayson and at least 2 of Giles/Bolden/Frank were contributing like top 15 players, we'd probably have no more than 1 loss and be a shoo-in for a 1-seed. In that respect, all of us - and probably including the coaching staff - have been justifiably surprised and disappointed about where we are.

p.s. I don't mean to slam on Coach K. I do think he's too stubborn in some areas but big picture, even he can't fix what's broken with this team. Apologies if my 'problem solving' gene was annoying some of you.
Amile same as last year? You do know Amile redshirted last year right?

Coach K is a do-more-with-less coach. When he has too much talent it seems like he tries to overcoach. When he has a few good players and decent role players around them, he's more effective. No way that 2010 should have won a title. No way that 2011 team shouldn't have won the title.

Coach K isn't reducing Giles' minutes to protect him for the NBA. He is rolling out the players who he thinks give us the best chance to win on that given night. I, and many others, just happen to disagree with who those players are.
You may have gotten your wish today, depending on who you wanted to see. It wasn't a fix. I think K knows what he's got. Bolden isn't very good yet. Harry is better but slow on D. The 3 guard lineup is our best option.

Reactions: Mac9192
Coach K is a do-more-with-less coach. When he has too much talent it seems like he tries to overcoach. When he has a few good players and decent role players around them, he's more effective. No way that 2010 should have won a title. No way that 2011 team shouldn't have won the title.

I think we saw why that 2011 could lose a shot at the title. A combo of a hot opponent, trying to work back a player who had been out for 60% of the season, and a poor night by our two best veterans.

I don't know that I totally agree that K is "do more with less". I think it's just more impressive when he does it, because 2015, 2001, 1992 and 1991 were all pretty loaded. And title or not, 1999 had a damn impressive season that most teams could not live up to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT