ADVERTISEMENT

ROACH IS BACK

It's really good news that Roach will be in a Duke uniform for his senior season. Been a while since Senior Day meant much. Not gonna lie, I'm concerned that Jon has his hands full. For success, some really good kids (ratings wise) will have to take lesser roles. And this is not factoring in a big from the portal. In my opinion, how well everyone does with that will determine how good Duke will be.

There is more pressure on Jon this season than last.
I agree. But it’s the best type of problem to have. Much better than a “we’re not a talented team” or “we have a lot of talented unknown pieces coming in, who knows how it’ll work out” problem like last year.

Jon coaches at Duke, pressure and expectations come with the job.

I’m genuinely curious now and this MIGHT sound stupid and crazy.. roach has already graduated correct? So he’s starting on his masters.. does he stay year 5 to finish that???

I’m genuinely curious now and this MIGHT sound stupid and crazy.. roach has already graduated correct? So he’s starting on his masters.. does he stay year 5 to finish that???
He does have the extra year, if he wants. It would be great if he did stay. I know we talk about NIL and his pay would be higher at Duke than playing professionally, but some kids are just ready to start their career. That said, I do hope he seriously considers coming back, again.

They already missed the transfer portal window. They'd have to sit out a year if they left now.

No, it's the 2 guards who have one-and-done dreams that you need to worry about. They committed bc they expected the one-and-done train to keep rolling along, opening up numerous starting spots at Duke, giving them the chance at immediate stardom and a spotlight to fuel their goal to be in the 2024 NBA draft. Now one of them is looking at being the fourth guard in minutes per game.

And honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world for you to lose Foster or McCain. You need that scholarship for a center. Right now Flip is being forced to be your starting center. And after the Tennessee game, anyone can see that he shouldn't be asked to play a whole season of banging with physical strong post players.
Let me guess. With your math skills at counting to 13 you must be a STEM major at UNCheats.
9 NBA players and 7 in the portal.

Holy ****
Am I dreaming? Our senior captain 5 star 14ppg final four experienced PG is back?
Let's get some hardware!
We now have talent plus experience. I'm thrilled.
WE HAVE 4 STARTERS BACK
I picked the wrong week to give up Coor's and hot dogs.

Last edited:
No guarantee but we have the horses and experience to make a deep run. Get Udeh for some beef and we are absolutely loaded. Even if we lose one of the freshman guards we got a lot better today. Get Udeh and that's 4 sophomores and a senior. With a senior big man and a junior guard off the bench.
Roach is the anti Steward. Tested the waters, got feedback and wisely come back. Smart choice my good man that will pay off for you.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, those October practices are going to be intense & highly competitive, especially if Foster & McCain stay on board.

Let’s just pray for no more off-season foot issues, though we could withstand an injury to this roster, if it’s a guard.

Last edited:
I had a work day full of meetings so I had no clue about Roach until an hour ago.

NCAA rules also say current players can't be contacted until after they enter the transfer portal. And that NIL can not be used as an inducement to commit to a specific school.

Guess what? No one follows those rules.

You can bet money that both Foster and McCain are being contacted by other schools right now, just like Mgbako was.
I’m sorry who are you again ?

It's been really nice to see this play out. I got tired of seeing Kentucky, UNC, UCLA and Gonzaga return their core the last few years. I know they had varying degrees of success but I like some continuity. I think Jon has found a sweet spot. On paper only Whitehead and Lively were one and dones. With NIL it gives the borderline guys something to come back for (Keels may have been an anomaly) I am excited about the future of Duke basketball again. We have a nice mixture of old and young. I do agree that getting Roach back makes us need a transfer 5 a little less. Roach is obviously not a center but its more about putting our 5 best on the floor. I'd still love Udeh but we could probably roll out with who we have now and be fine. But why not get all the pieces? Whitehead and Lively should have gone pro, so I really have nothing to complain about regarding our guy's draft decisions. And that is nice.

Last edited:
Mitchell is starting from day 1, he started all last season as a freshman and played well.
He did. But last years team isn’t even close to being as deep as this years team. Plus all the injuries, he pretty much had to start. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing if he does. He’s incredible defensively. I would just much rather see Foster start

Reactions: jamsession3
He did. But last years team isn’t even close to being as deep as this years team. Plus all the injuries, he pretty much had to start. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing if he does. He’s incredible defensively. I would just much rather see Foster start
The competition will be honest and real in practice if there are no injuries.

Reactions: Duke937
Caleb Foster decommitting in the near future.

He has one and done dreams. He expected a starting spot to be open just like Mgbako did. Now he's looking at being the fourth guard in minutes per game.
Fourth guard on a college team but one and done. Damn Carolina fan we are loaded! Get ready to get swept again

Mitchell is starting . He didn’t coming back to come off the bench . Now if Flip is not ready to go at seasons start then yes I believe you start Foster or Schutt at SF . One of them is already going to have to be his back up .

I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't start. Who would start over him? He's not amazing offensively but I wouldn't say very limited. Offense isn't his calling card anyways, the dude is a beast on defense
Agree. Any offensive short comings are made up on the defensive of the ball. We need a guy that can take on a teams best player at SG, SF or PF.

He does have the extra year, if he wants. It would be great if he did stay. I know we talk about NIL and his pay would be higher at Duke than playing professionally, but some kids are just ready to start their career. That said, I do hope he seriously considers coming back, again.
And with a Duke graduate degree, he may be considering a different career.

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Roach back will take the pressure off of those two incoming freshman and Schutt and Blakes .
IMO, Roach got the feed back he already knew and made the decision off of it .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT