ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Since it's so slow on here was gunna see when we should start hearing some recruiting news. I jus saw where Tatum has cut his list to two but isn't saying which two lol I've seem two places suggest it's St. Louis and Us so anyone know

I heard the same about Tatum. The article I read also mentioned that he will likely be making his decision by the end of the summer.

tatum and giles to duke pretty sure...both are friends and want to play together, playing for SLU would hurt his draft stock

not sure about dennis smith will depend if thornton is a 1 and done hopefully he'll wait...

If we land all 3 of them, it would give us the #1 ranked class for the third straight year. Being a Duke fan is awesome.

Duke just offered 6' 11" Marvin Bagley III (class 2018). Wow...he looks absolutely amazing...and just turned 16 a couple of months ago (so he was still 15 in this mixtape)!!! If you watch all the video you can see he can do more than just dunk (although he does a lot of that)! I don't know if K & Capel can pull him away from the west coast...but it would be awesome if they can!

OFC

Last edited:
Great looking prospect with huge upside - crazy athletic with a nice stroke. The only negative thing I can say about him is that he goes to the left side an awful lot - obviously he still has time to develop that part of his game.

I feel REAL good about the recent news I got on Tatum. He's gonna be badass in Duke Blue.

It would make sense for Bagley to eventually reclassify to the 2017 class. Otherwise he'd be 19 in March of his senior year and while the NBA rule says you have to be 19 it also says you have to be one year removed from high school. It would make more sense to reclassify and not lose that year of potential NBA earnings.

Dream scenario: 2016 - Giles, Tatum, Bolden, Smith
2017 - Bagley, Troy Brown, Porter

Last edited:
OAD, thanks for the video, and great post. Outstanding for a Freshman in HS!! You are also spot on, don't know if anyone can pull him from the West Coast, but if Coach K is still around, he might be able to. Also, with this kind of ability as a Freshman, he may never see College!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
both are friends and want to play together, playing for SLU would hurt his draft stock.

i am not sure where you got that, but Tatum is already firmly on every NBA scouts radar. His draft stock will be what it is wherever he goes for his year of college. His exposure to the public and endorsement stuff could benefit from going to Duke though.

I just read that Gary Trent Jr and Wendell Carter are talking about being a package deal in the 2017 class. Gary Trent Jr played with Tyus at Apple Valley.

Gary Trent, Jr. is going to be a monster. He's a natural scorer from either wing spot. Whether it's putting the ball on the floor and going to the rack or filling it up from the outside. Initially I thought he would be a top 100 kind of prospect, but he's almost a sure top-10 in 2017....maybe top five. He's the real deal. If there's one negative on him, and this is just through some back channels of people I know in Minneapolis connected to the Apple Valley program, it's that he's not always the best teammate.

Gary Trent, Jr. is going to be a monster. He's a natural scorer from either wing spot. Whether it's putting the ball on the floor and going to the rack or filling it up from the outside. Initially I thought he would be a top 100 kind of prospect, but he's almost a sure top-10 in 2017....maybe top five. He's the real deal. If there's one negative on him, and this is just through some back channels of people I know in Minneapolis connected to the Apple Valley program, it's that he's not always the best teammate.
I'm sure some of that (a lot) is related to his age. I'm sure he'll learn to be a better teammate as he gets older and listens to the right people.

Who leaves after the next season? How many scholarships will K have to hand out?
Amile & Marshall are gone after next season. We have a preferred walk on currently with a scholarship. We can dish out as many as 4 or 5, even if no one leaves.

Fresh-
AV
BI
CJ
DT
LK
JR (preffered walk-on with scholarship now)

So-
GA
SO

Jr-
MJ

Total: 8 (available 13?)

If no one bolts after the season, and then we get something like Giles, Tatum, Smith and another good big... holy crap. That seems unlikely, but who really knows this early on.

I really don't see many scenarios where we get Smith, but would love to be wrong.

Smith would seem like a longshot. I'm not sure why, but he seem like the kind of player who could choose State. He would definitely be featured there....that's for sure. But UNC could also be in the picture. They will lose some guys too. But I'd agree Duke doesn't seem to be the ideal situation for him....right now.

Smith would seem like a longshot. I'm not sure why, but he seem like the kind of player who could choose State. He would definitely be featured there....that's for sure. But UNC could also be in the picture. They will lose some guys too. But I'd agree Duke doesn't seem to be the ideal situation for him....right now.

don't worry no top recruit is going to UNC anytime soon...their future will be a bunch of Luke Mayes and struggling to make NIT after their postseason bans!

as for smith definitely a decent chance he goes to state but I won't care as long as long as Thornton decides to stay...I'd prefer a 2nd year Thornton (After 1 year learning from Coach K) over a 1st year Smith anyday

I couldn't seen both of them co-existing as I feel both of them would want to be the alpha PG on their team

Smith is a player that's for sure but for some reason I can't put my finger on I'm not sure he's a Duke fit. does seem like an UNC or NCSU type player which I don't want to see at either place or any other team in the ACC for that matter. I'm that kind of fan that if we can't get them then I don't want to have to deal with them in the ACC. I'll leave it to the expert Coach K and staff. If Smith ends up at Duke that's great. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
If Duke keeps getting all the stud players, its going to suck for everyone else, K can flat out coach, and he can mold Championship teams. Right now Duke is the place to be and it kills me to say it, but its the truth.

If Duke keeps getting all the stud players, its going to suck for everyone else, K can flat out coach, and he can mold Championship teams. Right now Duke is the place to be and it kills me to say it, but its the truth.
Among many of the countries top recruits, Duke is certainly an point of interest. Now landing them is another thing altogether. Though I think Duke fans are not going to be disappointed over the next few years as far as recruiting goes. UNC is going to be fine as long as the NCAA doesn't hammer them too hard. They will get players but the cloud over them right now needs to clear a bit as well.

Reactions: RamHard
UNC won't be recruiting top players like they used to ever again...any top NC players definitely will be going to Duke in the future (ie Brandon Ingram, Giles & Tatum next year) and other top players will choose other top programs or stay at their hometown school and be the best player (newman, zimmerman)

UNC won't be recruiting top players like they used to ever again...any top NC players definitely will be going to Duke in the future (ie Brandon Ingram, Giles & Tatum next year) and other top players will choose other top programs or stay at their hometown school and be the best player (newman, zimmerman)

Don't totally agree with your post, right now the ncaa deal is killing us, but if we avoid probation we will start bringing guys back. Right now Duke is killing it, oad know they can go to Duke and win a title, I watch Giles play in person he is the real deal, he can carry a team. Would love to get him, but he will be in Durham.

As much as i wish this was true that is just not the case. nothing is goign to happen to UNC mbb, once the dust settles they'll get their top tier guys like Duke, UK, KU etc.

i guess their definition of top tier will have to change to players outside the top 100...i can't wait to see ol'roy to coach those kids lol...hes struggling enough with this current class full of top 50 recruits

all this players have been huge busts in the nba lately...that's a huge selling point for top players just watch ingram & his father's interviews they emphasized coach k's ability to turn players into stars and increase their draft value immensely whereas ol'roy has top 10 players staying for 4 years coming out as late first round picks

Happy Independence Day everyone!

If anyone wants a chance to see Tatum and Giles playing in a game situation, ESPNU is currently airing the US U19 semifinal game against Greece. They just went into half time and I believe the US has a 6 point lead. Tatum had a monster one handed poster dunk over a defender off of a drive and dish from Giles in the second quarter. Hopefully the link provided works for everyone!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...tum-destroys-greek-defender-with-monster-dunk

Happy Independence Day everyone!

If anyone wants a chance to see Tatum and Giles playing in a game situation, ESPNU is currently airing the US U19 semifinal game against Greece. They just went into half time and I believe the US has a 6 point lead. Tatum had a monster one handed poster dunk over a defender off of a drive and dish from Giles in the second quarter. Hopefully the link provided works for everyone!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...tum-destroys-greek-defender-with-monster-dunk

We need a commit from Tatum. Go Devils

A few years ago, duke couldn't get a "top" big man, and recruiting overall was a bit down. The 2010 championship team, without HUGE recruits, deserves so much credit for where we are now. i like recruiting a lot more now then I did when it seemed like heart break, after heart break! Also, Harrison Barnes deserves a lot of credit for being a douche, and performing like you hope he would in such a situation!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT